English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 May 2018, 00:17   #1
jagLally

ACA1221ec and maprom/custom rom not working

My goal is to add SCSI support for > 8GB disk size in Classic Workbench 3.1 on A1200 with ACA1221ec card. I want to tinker and experiment.

The issue I'm getting is that no matter what version of SCSI.device I try, it simply hangs at boot.

Reading around there are other people hitting the same issue. It seems the MAPROM feature is interfering.

First, I tried the jumper on the board into all positions, open, closed, removed altogether. That didn't work and amiga hangs on boot.

ACAcontrol always shows
Code:
MapRom : enabled
and I can't find a way to disable it.

Using 'ACAMapROM R' in dos window causes the amiga to hang and reset.

If I add the following as first line to startup-sequence
Code:
C:ACAMapROM R
I get a startup error 'MapROM not active. exiting'

Code:
C:ACAMapROM DEVS:kickstarts/KS39_A1200.rom
gives the error 'MapROM already active. exiting'

That seems like a 'catch 22' to me.

Has anyone managed to load custom rom or disable maprom feature of aca1221ec or infact managed to run any patched version of SCSI.device?
Old 02 May 2018, 15:13   #2
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagLally View Post
My goal is to add SCSI support for > 8GB disk size in Classic Workbench 3.1 on A1200 with ACA1221ec card. I want to tinker and experiment.

The issue I'm getting is that no matter what version of SCSI.device I try, it simply hangs at boot.
You should first check if your ROM is working at all. Testing it in UAE would be the first step, but not necessarily the last. Try to map a 3.1 ROM grabbed from your very machine.

Also ensure you have the very latest version of the software from the icomp-website installed.

Quote:
Reading around there are other people hitting the same issue. It seems the MAPROM feature is interfering.
Of course it is.

Quote:
First, I tried the jumper on the board into all positions, open, closed, removed altogether. That didn't work and amiga hangs on boot.
It should be neither MAPROM nor "unprotect".

Quote:
ACAcontrol always shows
Code:
MapRom : enabled
and I can't find a way to disable it.
I don't know the latest feature set of the Flash-Tool (as I only wrote almost everything else for this card), but it possibly has a setting which enables MapROM permanently, regardless of the jumper's position. Check this first.

Quote:
Using 'ACAMapROM R' in dos window causes the amiga to hang and reset.
That would only work if you had successfully mapped a custom ROM, first - which you obviously never did.

Quote:
If I add the following as first line to startup-sequence
Code:
C:ACAMapROM R
I get a startup error 'MapROM not active. exiting'
That command checks for a custom mapped ROM, not for internal MapRom activated by jumper or (possibly) flash.

Quote:
Has anyone managed to load custom rom or disable maprom feature of aca1221ec
Yes, I did. And no, I cannot reproduce it, because I don't have an ACA1221ec anymore.
Old 02 May 2018, 17:16   #3
jagLally

Thanks for replying bubbob42. Here's the list of everything done so far:

Emailed Individual Computers and they confirmed that ACA1221ec can load a custom ROM file. There were some posts which indicated it could only map the physical or not and no custom loading was possible.

I was originally using the beta software linked on the wiki page. Jens sent me the latest link http://wiki.icomp.de/w/images/2/21/ACA1233nLib.lha

I am still unclear on where the jumper should be set. There are three pins:
Left,Middle,Right (marked Mapped ROM)

Between which pins should the jumper cover be set? I don't think between Middle & Right as that would map the internal physical ROM from machine and not custom?

With latest software I can get further.

ACAInfo shows
Code:
MapROM Status: disabled
Code:
ACAMapRom DEVS:kickstarts/KS39_A1200.rom
Error! Unable to map ROM from file - is it really a valid ROM?
The ROM file boots to splash screen using using FS-UAE. So I think the ROM file is good. But it won't load with ACAMapROM. I got the file from romshepherd.com
Quote:
This is not intended to be burned to eproms as it consists of a single non byteswapped 1MB rom file for use with a softkicker (e.g ACATune for ACA12xx boards) or UAE.
command: C:ACATune -maprom DEVS:Kickstarts/KS39_A1200.rom p -cache on -burst on >NIL:
Just did another test: Jumper cover totally off. Add first line to startup-sequence as:
Code:
ACAMapROM I
and I get the error:
Code:
Error! Unable to map internal Kickstart ROM to MapROM space!
ACAMapRom failed return code 10
Obviously, the default jumper position it can map the internal ROM but not by using the command.

I will explore on how to capture ROM from my physical machine and see if I can map that back as a test. But that may take me a long time I think. Meanwhile it would also be nice to know why ACAMapRom is rejecting this file.

Last edited by jagLally; 02 May 2018 at 17:59.
Old 04 May 2018, 00:28   #4
bubbob42

Quote:
Between which pins should the jumper cover be set? I don't think between Middle & Right as that would map the internal physical ROM from machine and not custom?
IIRC it should be set to off.

Quote:
Just did another test: Jumper cover totally off. Add first line to startup-sequence as:
Code:
ACAMapROM I
That should work. Please post the result of "ACAFlash ?". If that's the name of the command from the other archive on the website.

Quote:
I will explore on how to capture ROM from my physical machine and see if I can map that back as a test. But that may take me a long time I think.
Use grabkick from AMinet. Takes 2 seconds to grab a file and kick it.

Quote:
I got the file from romshepherd.com
Don't use pirated ROMs if want me to comment on anything you're doing.
Old 04 May 2018, 00:57   #5
jagLally

I got the hang of jumper setting in the end. Left and middle to flash in safe mode. Middle and right for default maprom. Totally off for no auto maprom.

I used aca1221ecflash tool to flash. Tested with just defaults and then again without maprom flag. Same result with ACAMapRom I in startup-sequence.

It simply won’t maprom via ACAMapRom I command in startup-sequence. Default jumper set to maprom position works as then it says ‘already mapped. Exiting ‘.

Further testing I downloaded kickstart 3.1 roms from different websites. All of them including from romshepherd worked in FS-UAE. They all refuse to maprom using ACAMapRom with message ‘is this really a valid rom file’

I hear you on pirated stuff. I buy all my software. I own Amiga Forever software cd but I am testing.

Jens also replied and said he’s been in touch with the developer. That would be you I guess.

I am a software developer by trade but no experience in low level programming or Amiga architecture. Just starting on this unfulfilled childhood goal. I’m offering to help develop, debug and test.

I will try rom grab tomorrow. My A1200 is kickstart 3.0 and running classic workbench. Motherboard has had the timing fixes and recapped.

I appreciate you taking your time to help.

Last edited by jagLally; 04 May 2018 at 01:03.
Old 04 May 2018, 19:03   #6
bubbob42

Quote:
Jens also replied and said he’s been in touch with the developer. That would be you I guess.
Yes, I was. I no longer have such a card in my possession and I also don't know if there have been changes to the firmware of the card in the meantime (though I suspect not).

Your approach sounds reasonable and I'd like to see whether you're getting any positive results with the grabkick approach. However, I'm suspecting that the contents of the software archive may be buggy or not up to date which would embarrass me deeply. Due to my involvement in other projects, I'm not able to remedy this situation.

Jens has another very skilled developer who has gotten access to the full source recently. I'd like him to try first before I open the sources to everyone, because I believe it's IComp's job to provide a quality solution for you and I don't believe that Jens is going to let you down.

If you don't see any progress during the next months, please write me a PM.

Best regards,

Marcus
Old 04 May 2018, 20:52   #7
jagLally

Quote:
Jens has another very skilled developer who has gotten access to the full source recently. I'd like him to try first before I open the sources to everyone, because I believe it's IComp's job to provide a quality solution for you and I don't believe that Jens is going to let you down.
Jens mentioned it as well. He's been very helpful so far and I'm impressed with his responses.

Quote:
If you don't see any progress during the next months, please write me a PM.
Thank you for helping even though you don't have to.

I downloaded grabkick and ran it in a shell window without argument and it produced a file name Kick39106.

Code:
grabkick
acamaprom kick39106
Error! Unable to map ROM from file - is it really a valid ROM?
acainfo

ACAInfo

ACA 1233n settings:
-----------------------------------------
MapROM status: disabled
Active CPU: 68020
Speed stepping: 0
Machine's current clock frequency: 14.18 MHz
Z2-mode: disabled
Memcard: enabled
Write waitstates: 1
SlowRam at 0x0c00000: enabled
Card is a 33.00 MHz version
-----------------------------------------
Superficial conclusion without knowing the inner working would be that ACAMapROM is unable to map a valid file.

Also, note that ACAInfo, seems to be outputting slightly wrong info. It thinks I have a ACA1233n for some reason. Clock frequency according to Sysinfo is 23.2 which makes sense as I set it to 22 with aca1221ecflash tool
Old 05 May 2018, 14:00   #8
ChadsArcade

I'm not sure ACAInfo supports the 1221ec, make sure you get the correct archive for the 1221ec.

Mine works with a mapped custom ROM, made using Remus. The ACAMapROM I use is 2972 bytes in size.

The line in my startup is:
C:ACAMapROM sys:roms/Myrom.rom QUIET

I think the jumper is not connecting any pins.

PM if you want more info.
Old 05 May 2018, 16:36   #9
jagLally

Thanks ChadsArcade.

With everyones help, I have it working now.

Test 1

Clean install of Workbench and then installed the libraries Jens sent me earlier. http://wiki.icomp.de/w/images/2/21/ACA1233nLib.lha
ACAMapROm Same error as before.

Test 2
Clean install of Workbench and then installed the Beta version of libraries on wiki.http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA1221ec ACA1221V1 2Beta1.lha

ACAMapRom It worked!!!!!

Conclusion

The latest libraries ACA1233nLib do not work despite the Help documents stating they support the ACA1221ec card as well. My original failure using the beta libraries I started with was due to incorrect jumper setting I think.

The wiki page needs clarifying to something like:
With the Amiga insertion side of card facing to your left and the pin with sticker labelled ‘Map rom’ at the bottom, the jumper setting can be thus:
Top,Middle pins: This is your safe setting for flashing…….
Middle,Bottom pin labelled ‘Map rom’: This is your default automatic map rom of internal physical rom……
No jumper on any pin: Disables automatic map rom feature. You can now use ACAMapROM command to set you own custom rom file…….

Thanks everyone who helped. It's finally working.....
Old 06 May 2018, 01:35   #10
bubbob42

Quote:
With everyones help, I have it working now.
Good!

Quote:
The latest libraries ACA1233nLib do not work despite the Help documents stating they support the ACA1221ec card as well.
Erh....where did you read that? I wrote in ACATools.guide, that some of the *tools* support both cards. You need to install the correct libraries, of course...
Old 06 May 2018, 02:36   #11
jagLally

Quote:
Erh....where did you read that? I wrote in ACATools.guide, that some of the *tools* support both cards. You need to install the correct libraries, of course.
What you are saying makes perfect sense now? Hindsight is always 20:20.

What I can tell you is the sequence of events that lead to this:

1) I read the http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA1221ec. The Jumper setting explanation made no sense to me despite reading it a 100 times. A simple explanation with a diagram perhaps of; if you connect pin 0, pin 1 X will happen would have helped.

2) I downloaded the Beta tools at the bottom of the page. I suspect the jumper settings must have been wrong as nothing worked. At this point I was not 100% convinced that a custom rom could even be loaded. The wiki page is unclear on this. There are several posts on various Amiga forums which say a custom ROM can NOT be loaded on ACA1221ec.

3) I emailed Jens to clarify if a custom rom could be loaded and he replied Yes it can load custom rom and was I using the latest software?http://wiki.icomp.de/w/images/2/21/ACA1233nLib.lha

4) I expand the library and actually read the docs!!. E.g.
Quote:
Some tools will also work with the ACA1221(EC) and ACA1221.library, so you won't have to install another set of tools if you own both models and swap a lot between them.
I missed the bit about the ACA1221.library as I thought this is a complete installation for all cards and any library would have been installed.
It didn't help with this installer installs in sub directories to System:Utilities and the Beta version installs to C:. I'm newish to the scene and not that familiar with Amiga system.
I also wrongly assumed that Jens was saying this is the all singing dancing non beta package which covers all cards. And you know Assume spells out to: Ass out of You and Me

But no worries, I got there in the end with the Beta Version. I'm guessing that the tools out of ACA1233nLib will work with the Library out of the Beta Version but I'm not going to go there. It works now with just the Beta tools + Lib.

Once again, I am really grateful for all your help. Thank you.
Old 07 May 2018, 10:25   #12
bubbob42

Let's just conclude someone needs to update certain Wiki pages (not me)

Have fun with the card!