English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 07 October 2018, 12:30   #41
ross
Sum, ergo Cogito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post

EDIT: One correction in 32-pixel wide sprites: if FMODE has normal 32-bit sprite mode enabled (FMODE bit 2 set), both 16 pixel halves contain written data. Only if FMODE bit 3 is set (without bit 2 being set = sprite DMA mode works strangely) results in first 16 pixel having data bus contents and last 16 pixels contain written data.
This make more sense to me (and is why I've demanded about double CAS usage differences in a previous message).
So all is time related: early fetched data for the double CAS mode is lost and that one on bus used instead.

Quote:
Remaining unknown: sometimes first two 16-pixel sprite "parts" contains duplicated chipset data.
I suppose for the 64bit mode.
Can be even this related to some double CAS timing?
Old 07 October 2018, 13:10   #42
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Remaining unknown: sometimes first two 16-pixel sprite "parts" contains duplicated chipset data.
It seems to happen if previous cycle before $144 write was bitplane DMA cycle, in this situation first 32 pixels of sprite data is replaced with current bitplane data. Data written to $144 is only visible in last 32 pixels of sprite. Only affects 64 pixel wide sprites.

Interestingly it is always whole 32-bits of bitplane data, even if bitplane fetch mode is 0. Another proof is that if bitplane pointer is not long word aligned (word aligned only), sprite's first 32 pixels contain first 16 pixels of bitplane data duplicated.

So apparently Alice always does 32-bit fetches.

EDIT: Lisa most likely uses same buffers for both sprites and bitplanes because situation where SPRxDATx gets DMA updated _after_ bitplane DMA can never happen.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 07 October 2018 at 13:54. Reason: previous, not following cycle
Old 07 October 2018, 13:42   #43
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

This is also emulated now. Yes, probably not worth the trouble but because UAE is used for development (I want it to be useful for low level development), it needs to handle bad situations accurately instead of showing "expected too correct" results.
Old 07 October 2018, 13:50   #44
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Ah, and thanks roondar for your last 'proof of concept'.
You're welcome, though I admit I mostly did all of this to satisfy my curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
This is also emulated now. Yes, probably not worth the trouble but because UAE is used for development (I want it to be useful for low level development), it needs to handle bad situations accurately instead of showing "expected too correct" results.
I'm glad for your effort, I'd much rather have the same behaviour in UAE than not
Old 12 October 2018, 06:15   #45
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

I am late to the party but what a party it is!
Great effort roondar and fantastic idea, both for OCS and AGA.

I agree with you regarding the limitations of the Dual Playfield mode,
7 + 8
is awfully limiting and it would have been so much more useful to have more varied combinations.
The sad part being that the Amiga has enough DMA bandwidth to display a
15 + 4
and even a
15 + 16
Dual Display mode as well as enough color registers for both. Why they decided to cap each playfield bit depth to 3 was already a mystery for me in 1992 and it still is.

Moreover, a
15 + 4
Dual Playfield mode would only require as much DMA bandwidth as a HalfBrite mode and would still allow to use sprites on top of it as well as freeing cycles for Blitter and CPU.

But hey, enough useless regrets, once again, great idea and fantastic effort! Keep it up.
I love your video as well, looking forward to your other articles/videos.
Old 12 October 2018, 15:53   #46
roondar

Yeah, Dual Playfield mode would have been nicer with more split options.

I'm guessing the split being as is might be a technical issue (it may just be much easier to have one option, namely odd/even bitplanes and harder that I think for different splits). Not having a 15+16 split is kind of understandable though, that would use as much DMA cycles as a 16 colour hires screen - which would really limit the amount of bobs etc that can use used on such a mode.

Oh well, perhaps be happy with what we got - it wasn't all that bad for 1985

I'll think about some new effect/thing to do in the meantime. I enjoyed making that video quite a bit.
Old 12 October 2018, 17:41   #47
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Not having a 15+16 split is kind of understandable though, that would use as much DMA cycles as a 16 colour hires screen
Not to mention the fact that there are not 8 bitplanes for that either
Old 12 October 2018, 17:42   #48
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Oh well, perhaps be happy with what we got - it wasn't all that bad for 1985
That's all part of the joy of this little bag of tricks
Old 15 October 2018, 20:08   #49
Steril707
OCS rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
The sad part being that the Amiga has enough DMA bandwidth to display a
15 + 4
That would be my most wanted feature, if I could go back in time and ask them OCS designers something.

With this playfield split setup, the OCS Amiga would have been a muuuuuch more competitive machine.
Old 15 October 2018, 22:23   #50
roondar

Colours wise, yes. But it would still have lost pretty badly to the 16 bit consoles in the 'number of objects on screen before it starts slowing down' fight. Not that this is in any way surprising or a mark against the machine.

I still feel it did pretty good against VRAM powered console hardware that was 3 or 5 years newer, all things considered
Old 02 December 2018, 17:55   #51
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Executable that shows the "problem" is fine. I'll write my own test later, I only want confirmed test case first.
@Toni,
Are all the tests cases you wrote for testing WinUAE accuracy available somewhere? It could be useful for other emulators or FPGA implementation.
Old 02 December 2018, 18:43   #52
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
@Toni,
Are all the tests cases you wrote for testing WinUAE accuracy available somewhere? It could be useful for other emulators or FPGA implementation.
No, they are only quick hacks that show confusing graphics garbage differently..