English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 February 2020, 15:54   #1
turboknekten

DF0:unreadable

Hi!
I recently changed PSU on my A4000 to a new ATX PSU (Corsair SF450) + Amigakit converter cable. The computer load workbench fine and is stable with new ATX PSU. I can see all partitions on my HD.

Before I changed PSU I removed the drive bay from chassi. Floppy was working before.

But after I assembled everything again I only see the floppy as DF0:unreadable on workbench screen. When holding both mouse buttons during boot I see in boot menu that DF0: is present in the list of bootable disks.
It is the original HD floppy.

Can a CyberstormPPC card cause this problem? When changing PSU I also added a CyberstormPPC card. Was before original A3640 card.
If I remove HD and try to boot (Install 3.1.4) from floppy the floppydisk doesn´t boot.

Does anyone have a clue what this can be?

Last edited by turboknekten; 22 February 2020 at 16:39. Reason: Added more information
Old 22 February 2020, 16:54   #2
R4M

The Amiga always assumes that DF0: is available, even if you completely disconnect it. One common cause of problems is the orientation of the 34-pin floppy cable. If you get that wrong, the floppy led will be lit and nothing else will happen.
Old 22 February 2020, 17:35   #3
solarmon

Did you connect the drive back to the same floppy cable and header/connector, for DF0?
Old 23 February 2020, 09:24   #4
turboknekten

I made markings on cable before I removed it so I was sure to put i back correct again.

I used the same floppy cable as before. I know the power is working. I tested this when I connect a CF-reader.

Can it be the CIA chips that are bad?
Old 23 February 2020, 10:38   #5
Overmann

I had this exact same problem with my towerized A1200 the other day and it turned out the floppy cable had just come loose a bit while I was fiddling around in there. Sometimes it's just something silly like that :P
Old 23 February 2020, 10:47   #6
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
I had this exact same problem with my towerized A1200 the other day and it turned out the floppy cable had just come loose a bit while I was fiddling around in there. Sometimes it's just something silly like that :P
Or you put the Floppy Cable IDC header on a whole row of pins out of Alignment. <----- classic!
Old 23 February 2020, 11:21   #7
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Or you put the Floppy Cable IDC header on a whole row of pins out of Alignment. <----- classic!

YEAH! I might be unusually clumsy and stupid but these sort of problems are usually due to this sort of mistake in my experience :P
It might be worth triple checking all ends of all connectors.
Old 23 February 2020, 11:34   #8
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
YEAH! I might be unusually clumsy and stupid but these sort of problems are usually due to this sort of mistake in my experience :P
It might be worth triple checking all ends of all connectors.
Wasn't suggesting you were clumsy or stupid fella.

I have a T-shirt in the wardrobe for this beauty as well.
Old 23 February 2020, 11:58   #9
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Wasn't suggesting you were clumsy or stupid fella.

No, that was all me !
But seriously though, I've had this happen a couple of times and each time it's been due to some cable not being all the way in, or the wrong way around or not connected to all the pins, etc.

I hope OP's problem is one of this nature, because more serious issues are never fun to deal with. Aren't those CIA chips pretty robust? I've never had one fail.
Old 23 February 2020, 16:12   #10
turboknekten

Thanks for all the answers.

I need the same t-shirt :-)

I had the floppy cable out of alignment when I assembled the drive bay back into chassi. When I got the DF0:unreadable message on workbench screen I turned off my Amiga and checked cables. I notice the cable was not correct placed on the row of pins. So I placed it correct on the pins and turned on the Amiga again. Same result.

I will disassemble the floppy to see if there are any loose cables inside. Clean it and see if that helps.
Old 23 February 2020, 17:18   #11
turboknekten

Now I definitely need to wear that t-shirt.

Nothing wrong with floppy at all. It was an pass through extension cable with a molex connector that caused this problem. I added this for an additional fan. One of the pins inside connector was pushed out.

Again. Thanks for all suggestions and help.