English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 April 2006, 15:48   #1
Flink

AmigaOS 4.0 + AmigaONE

Hi all!

I'm a software developer and I work mainly on the Mac. I'd like to
contribute to the new AmigaOS 4.0 and start writing some cool apps, but I'm having trouble finding information and places were I can buy an AmigaONE board and AmigaOS 4 to build a new Amiga...

Has anyone here jumped on the new Amigas PowerPC based platform? Can someone guide an old and fervorous Amiga user and evangelist?

Thanks!

Old 28 April 2006, 16:01   #2
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flink
Has anyone here jumped on the new Amigas PowerPC based platform?
I'd be interested in hearing about people's experiences on this too. I'm not quite sure of the case for the Amiga PPC, personally I'd rather have a classic Amiga for compatibility with all the old software and use a PC for the other stuff including Amiga emulation of course - but everyone's different. I must say the new OS sounds very interesting and it would be cool to have one to play with
Old 28 April 2006, 16:02   #3
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

There are no Amiga Ones available, and i think they never will. I suggest you if want to develop amigaish applications take a look at Aros www.aros.org or at Morphos.
Old 28 April 2006, 16:23   #4
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flink
Has anyone here jumped on the new Amigas PowerPC based platform?
If you mean AmigaONE - no. But I had a Pegasos with MorphOS (which is a PowerPC OS with AmigaOS 3.1 compatible API and 68k Emulator to run old software) for 3 years.
Old 29 April 2006, 01:23   #5
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW
There are no Amiga Ones available, and i think they never will. I suggest you if want to develop amigaish applications take a look at Aros www.aros.org or at Morphos.
Really? I thought Eyetech were selling the boards at one point, although weren't they running Linux until the updated OS shipped?
Old 29 April 2006, 01:31   #6
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

This is NOT true. AmigaONE machines ARE available. Look at the eyetech site for a list of dealers where to order them. OS4 is still in development but I think A1 get's shipped with a beta/developer version... not 100% sure on that though.
Old 29 April 2006, 07:52   #7
Murakami
Zone Friend

Yes, I have an AmigaOne with OS4 for a while now and I'm very happy with it. It's fast, reliable and has a good compatibility with old software (thanks to Petunia and its JIT).
Old 29 April 2006, 08:02   #8
Murakami
Zone Friend

And if you want to know more about the AmigaOne and OS4, check this website :
http://www.intuitionbase.com/
Old 29 April 2006, 13:48   #9
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom
This is NOT true. AmigaONE machines ARE available. Look at the eyetech site for a list of dealers where to order them. OS4 is still in development but I think A1 get's shipped with a beta/developer version... not 100% sure on that though.
The AmigaONEs are no longer available since over 1 year now and it seems they won't be available anymore in the future.
Old 29 April 2006, 13:55   #10
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrom
No,
amigaones aren't available, the production was stopped 1 year ago and there aren't machine available to purchase, the os is continued, but only for amigaone and the other discontinued (for at least one year now)board from eyetech
instead buy a pegasos2 , it's a nice machine and is "retrocompatible" with the old amiga "wb-friendly" utility
however if u don't want to buy a new machine there is a cross platform compiler for win able to compile programs for aos3,os4,morphos and aros
here the link
http://amidevcpp.amiga-world.de/
Old 29 April 2006, 14:44   #11
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Sell me a version of OS4 that will work on a 'standard' PPC box, or even better: x86
Even a ppc-ish console version? - XBox 360?

I'll drop Amithlon in a flash.

-Back on topic-

I agree that AROS would IMO be the best place for a tallented / interested developer to get involved - there is also still much room to get in on the ground floor.
( Who would use a pile of poo like Linux if AROS gets to the point where it's reasonably mature with decent software support? - Dreaming again )

Much as I hate to say it I can't see AOS4 getting anywhere without a stronger hardware base. MOS, though great, seems sadly to be in much the same boat - Pegasos boards being rather more available notwithstanding.

Hmm - controversial opinions. I am sane, honest!
Old 30 April 2006, 00:29   #12
RetroMan

"New" AmigaOnes are in the production line right now, it has been stopped for a while because of difficulties in getting new G3/G4 PPC CPUs ....

Anyway, IMHO the AOne is a very nice system, I got mine in January 2006 (used) and I´m very satisfied with it

But I also think the price is a "bit" high ....
Old 30 April 2006, 04:02   #13
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
"New" AmigaOnes are in the production line right now, it has been stopped for a while because of difficulties in getting new G3/G4 PPC CPUs ....

Anyway, IMHO the AOne is a very nice system, I got mine in January 2006 (used) and I´m very satisfied with it

But I also think the price is a "bit" high ....
AmigaNONE is for fanatics, or collectors (like you).
It is a platform for a tiny audience and not worth investing in.
Old 30 April 2006, 16:31   #14
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Im afraid I have to agree with Fred on this one, just cant see any point at all in wasting my money on an A-One, it would probarbly sit in a corner unused somewhere.
Kudos to all you nutters that do own one though
Old 30 April 2006, 21:58   #15
RetroMan

Well, it depends what you really want to do ....

I still enjoy my classic Amigas (and I have plenty of´em ) but if I want to do some serios work I use my AOne, it can do everything .... maybe except Video Editing, but thats a lack of software not hardware fault .....

Sure, the Pegasos can do all that too but hey, I got MorphOS running on my A1200 PPC, so .....
Old 30 April 2006, 22:57   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
Well, it depends what you really want to do ....

I still enjoy my classic Amigas (and I have plenty of´em ) but if I want to do some serios work I use my AOne, it can do everything .... maybe except Video Editing, but thats a lack of software not hardware fault .....

Sure, the Pegasos can do all that too but hey, I got MorphOS running on my A1200 PPC, so .....
You can do "everything" at extremely limited choices compared to Windows/Mac/Linux.
Old 30 April 2006, 23:02   #17
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Exactly, I do allot of work from home and for compatibility its either my Mac or my Peecee, an AOne would be totally useless to me me unless I could run 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush and Photoshop on it
Old 30 April 2006, 23:06   #18
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

On the gaming front, what games are exclusive to AmigaOne? I mean, there are PPC only and AGA only games, true, so a Amiga 1200 or PPC expansion would do nicely for those, or WinUAE of course.
Old 01 May 2006, 00:18   #19
RetroMan

Well, I can run any Amiga PPC Game on AOne .... but WAY faster

E-UAE is also very usable on AOS4, no problem in getting those old games running, also all 68k apps run very smoothly ! Thanks to Petunia they are way faster on AOne then on any 68k 060er CPU ....

As I said, only thing I´m missing is a good Video Authoring Tool ! Everything else is there, even if it´s a 68k thingy .....
Old 01 May 2006, 01:28   #20
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

You forgot all those SDL Ports....Killa-Apps...