English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 05 September 2001, 04:16   #1
birdy-scc
Banned

gone for good emulation

I haven't started a thread before, but...

"Gone For Good Emulation"

This site is abysmal. I was thinking about whether to make up some well worded description of this site, but I couldn't - at first the only thoughts which came to mind were - no, leave it, it's not worth it!

I noticed the entry in the Amigamos list the other day, and saw that he had 100 votes with an average score of 9.90. When I finally got into the site - through misspelled legal crap- I saw that the site had only had 79 visitors!

It should be noted that there is not a mention of the Amiga on the site, and apart from 4 (yes, FOUR!) games respectively for the Spectrum and Mame, the only section that seemed to have had ANY effort put into it was the BBC Model B page.

But they do say that mighty oaks from the smallest acorns do grow, so maybe I should give the site a chance to develop before completely denying it's right to exist!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That seems like enough time wasted - I'm listening to the soundtrack of Apocalypse Now at the moment - and this text was written to the "Ride of the Valkyries" -
Old 05 September 2001, 09:16   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I find the scores and rankings at AmigaMos to be completely useless because they are so skewed and incorrect. Everybody knows which sites are good and which are shite. And I doubt if anybody agrees with the rankings and scores there. Like chart positions at mp3.com, it's more about how many times you can vote yourself a 10 or have your friends hammer the voting. Nothing more. Seriously, who goes around voting for their favorite sites, anyhow. Who has that kind of time? Charts are just bullshit.
Old 05 September 2001, 12:31   #3
RCK
Administrator

Agree, chart are bullshit in general...
but sometimes, when I'm bored and just surfing on the net for nothing, I think it's fun to see who are new in those amiga emu list so I check all the entry of amigamos, just for fun
(and sometimes I have good surprised )
Old 05 September 2001, 14:50   #4
birdy-scc
Banned

I do like to vote for sites which I take something from.

I have stuff for a lot of different systems, so I'm not just looking around one scene. I probably know the best snes sites, but I am fairly new to the Amiga scene so I'm not sure which are the best sites yet.

I think the voting system is quite good at amigamos, but they need to have a block on people voting more than once a day for their own site.

There is definitely a fair voting system possible - but it would probably need registered members or something like that.
Old 05 September 2001, 19:17   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, that's all I really meant. I hope I didn't come off as slamming the AmigaMos site or their list of sites. I use their chart, too, and very often will find sites I've never been to, so I like it for that purpose. I just think the ranking and points are what's bullshit. I, too, will vote for Amiga sites - only if I happen to be at AmigaMos and feel inclined. Hardly representative of any standing.

Also, I won't vote for a site just because I leeched from it. I want quality content, design, a good experience - a lot of things. Sites are more than leech zones and I don't reward them for allowing me to leech. I reward a site for being quality or useful. Very often, leeching and good layout will come in the same package. Sometimes not, though.

But that's only when I happen to be on AmigaMos and feel in the mood to vote...
Old 05 September 2001, 19:19   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by birdy-scc
There is definitely a fair voting system possible - but it would probably need registered members or something like that.
That would definitely be excellent. Fair and without bullshit.
Old 05 September 2001, 22:07   #7
MosMensk

Hey.

I agree with Twistin' Ghost. The voting system ain't fair. I think people generally use it to find new sites and not to see what site is "hot".
I've tried talking to the programmers of the topsites script (www.cgi-factory.com), about a more fair system but they don't feel like changing it. They told me that it with be very difficult to make the script fair.

I myself know next to nothing about programming so I won't be able to modify anything

Any suggestions? How could the ranking system become fair?

Old 05 September 2001, 22:18   #8
Drake1009

Without programming knowledge the ranking system would be hard to make fair.

To make it fair I'd say you get to vote on 1 site once and not more. Either checking wether you had done this could be made with cookies (Easy to delete though) or with some sort of way for the server to keep track of IPs which would limit the ability for some users since some ISPs don't provide an IP for each user which means that if someone around there had voted you couldn't vote.
Old 05 September 2001, 22:44   #9
birdy-scc
Banned

I'm sure it is possible to refuse a vote from a visitor without cookies. Also, it is possible to identify the location, os version, resolution etc and these could be checked.

If the programmers aren't interested in making their products better then it is probably time to find some who will! Bollox to them and their complacency.

Alternatively, and this is a very long term idea, it is possible to set up some kind of id system (based on invitation) which the various topsites could identify and accept as genuine.

Obviously a lot of sites are only interested in through-traffic and ads, but a system like this should, given time, have an effect.

I need a drink...
Old 06 September 2001, 00:33   #10
Amiga1992

I'd say registration would be cool. But then not everyone can vote, since they have to register first...

Depends on what you want to do...
Old 06 September 2001, 22:12   #11
Ian
Global Moderator

If you want a fair reflection on how good a site is at AmigaMOS look at the total number of votes and then the Average score, if a site has a large number of total votes (ie more than 100) then there is a good chance, if the average is high, the site is good.

It's far to complicated for MosMensk to implement this method of scoring (I mentioned it a while back to him) and make it work properly, but for us the user's it's easy to do.

For instance a site has 1000 votes, a score of 6000 and is top of the list, the average score is 6.0 (meaning nothing special) however a site with 300 votes, a score of 3000 will be way down the list, but the average score is 10 (the dog's dangley bits)
Old 06 September 2001, 22:25   #12
birdy-scc
Banned

yeah, but this score is pointless unless there is a fair way of counting it.

maybe we can get a solution the next time around!
Old 06 September 2001, 23:48   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Exactly. If only your friends that you ask to vote for you vote every day and only give a 10, that is an unfair representation regardless of what the numbers indicate.