English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 February 2020, 21:42   #21
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Do you have examples for that?
Pretty much the best known example (to me anyway) is the original arcade version of Outrun, which runs at 30FPS.
Old 19 February 2020, 21:53   #22
dreadnought

There are plenty of arcade games which have slowdowns. Metal Slug, Double Dragon, Midnight Resistance, heap of shoot'em ups. Often it was actually a blessing, allowing you to actually survive in the too-hectic moments. I think in some bullet-hell shooters it's actually treated as a gameplay feature, not a bug/hardware hindrance.

But anyway, I agree with both your points: it's great to have smooth gameplay, and devs should make it a priority, but at the same time lack of it does not automatically mean the game is shit, and it was not always achievable, for whatever reasons. So yeah, I'd much rather play a low-fps R-Type, Xenon or whathaveyou than not play them at all (and that's precisely what majority of people did back in the day).

One of my favourite shoot'em ups is Arcadia on ZX Spectrum: this game kicks all kind of butt despite being hell-knows how many fps game. 5? 10? 15? Don't matter - it's awesome. Git gud, etc
Old 19 February 2020, 21:58   #23
roondar

One of my favourite Amiga shoot em ups (and I know some people will call me crazy as it's both a Euro-shooter and doesn't run at 50Hz) is SWIV. I just love that game and I literally don't care it runs at 25Hz.

I'm firmly in the "50Hz is clearly preferred, but 25Hz won't ruin games for me" camp.
Old 19 February 2020, 22:36   #24
mcgeezer

I dont remember a single arcade game running at less than full frame rate of 50/60hz.

I literally can’t think of one.

I agree though that sometimes game frames got tripped when too much was on screen.
Side arms was notable for this when the worm turned up, also nememsis on large explosions.
Old 19 February 2020, 22:37   #25
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Just watched R-Type, Slap Fight and Ikari Warriors.
You are misremembering those "crabs" in the second level of R-type. They stall in mid air when you shoot them. In no way is the game slowing down fps wise.

On Ikari Warriors and Slap Fight, I don't see any slow downs in the arcade version playthroughs on youtube.. I have to admit, I skipped through those videos, though.

Do you have some time stamps on youtube videos that you can post here that shows this?
You are looking for videos, i have memories from real hardware, most videos are done with MAME and the emulator is usually more powerful than original cards; i should find a real board then...
Old 19 February 2020, 22:40   #26
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
You are looking for videos, i have memories from real hardware, most videos are done with MAME and the emulator is usually more powerful than original cards; i should find a real board then...
Pretty sure mame emulates the slow downs too.... it is the whole point of it, accuracy over speed.
Old 19 February 2020, 23:24   #27
vulture

MAME should be doing that, but that's not always the case. Admittedly, that refers to an older version (0.144 iirc) and things may have become more accurate since, but Midnight Resistance, for example, had no slow downs on MAME while it had plenty on real hw.

edit: checked a youtube video and the slow downs are there, so, it's more accurate now indeed
Old 20 February 2020, 09:26   #28
dreadnought

MAME strives for accuracy, warts'n all, but some people use overclock functions to get rid of slowdowns.
Old 20 February 2020, 10:08   #29
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I dont remember a single arcade game running at less than full frame rate of 50/60hz.

I literally can’t think of one.
I did point out Outrun earlier (which really does run at 30Hz in it's original arcade form)

There's also the Metal Slug games, which were in the Arcades as well. They also run at 30Hz.
Old 20 February 2020, 10:27   #30
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I did point out Outrun earlier (which really does run at 30Hz in it's original arcade form)

There's also the Metal Slug games, which were in the Arcades as well. They also run at 30Hz.
The metal slug games i didnt think of, but Outrun? Are you sure?
Old 20 February 2020, 10:30   #31
vulture

Yes, Outrun is 30 fps at the arcades. Saturn version had an enhanced 60 fps though.

Last edited by vulture; 20 February 2020 at 11:03.
Old 20 February 2020, 10:34   #32
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Battle Squadron ran at 25fps... but the player ships and bullet HW sprites were updated at 50fps
What happened to the developers of Battle Squadron? they seem very quite lately.
Old 20 February 2020, 10:52   #33
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
The metal slug games i didnt think of, but Outrun? Are you sure?
100% sure. I believe there is also a 60Hz version, but IIRC that uses the Turbo Outrun board instead. The original game runs at 30Hz.
Old 20 February 2020, 11:20   #34
str0m

I thought I read somewhere that arcade Outrun was 60fps but it alternated updating track and other parts every other frame so it was really 30fps but I can't find that now.

Either way, Saturn version in the 60fps mode is smooooth. Dreamcast version is only 30 to match the arcade
Old 20 February 2020, 11:53   #35
dreadnought

Some early games like Popeye or Tapper also ran @30Hz (but were interlaced). Still perfectly playable as well.
Old 20 February 2020, 12:41   #36
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I really loved Saint Dragon!

... the first level. Natural outdoor setting but fighting robotic enemies, I love the style. And then level 2 is a boring swamp level (those orbs dropping from the ceiling at high speed while bullets and rockets are also flying around... GRRR!) and after that an R-Type space station, a weird space zone... it just doesn't speak to the imagination anymore.

The music and the sound are still some of my favorites in a side scroller shooter game though. The game sounds quintessentially Amiga.
Old 20 February 2020, 12:49   #37
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The game sounds quintessentially Amiga.
The music is a great rendition of the arcade tune, very faithful to the original but also adds a bit of Amiga personality to it.

I also quickly lost interest in the game after the first level.
Old 28 February 2020, 13:36   #38
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I enjoyed Saint Dragon back in the day, but could rarely make it past the second level. Those dropping boulders always seemed to get me, one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
I really don't get this fps fetish, I don't recall anybody back in the day being so obsessed by it.
Amen to that. I don't understand this obsession with FPS either. It certainly didn't bother me back then. As for modern games, anything around 30 FPS is fine - if it's any higher, I honestly can't tell the difference.
Old 28 February 2020, 15:19   #39
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah well back in the day I could play a game running at 5FPS I was not in love with the games, I was in love with the act of playing games.

That has changed. Nowadays I love individual games. And games such as Turbo Outrun which I could play forever back then... they make me cry.
Old 29 February 2020, 02:20   #40
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Amen to that. I don't understand this obsession with FPS either. It certainly didn't bother me back then. As for modern games, anything around 30 FPS is fine - if it's any higher, I honestly can't tell the difference.
I'm sorry, but that's simply untrue. Anyone can clearly see the difference between 30 and 60 fps.