English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 February 2020, 01:49   #1
Flimbo

15 Pin Joysticks

I just purchased a Gravis (retro) joystick for £3 on eBay. Has anybody used this joystick? I have no idea if it is the Amiga version or the 15 Pin version used on IBMs. Has anybody in the community dabbled in 15 Pin joysticks? Can they be converted or adapted for use on the Amiga?
Old 02 February 2020, 08:21   #2
theq
Registerdeaded abUser

Something like this PcJoy2Amiga might work.
If you want to make your own you might find a schematic online somewhere too.
Old 02 February 2020, 10:32   #3
aeberbach

Even if you get an adapter I think that’s going to be a pretty horrible experience on a system expecting a digital joystick with hard stops. You won’t know by feel when you have activated the joystick in a direction.
Old 02 February 2020, 12:39   #4
Flimbo

I was hoping somebody had already tested these joysticks before me ha ha. It may well be an Amiga joystick, in which case it's a bargain at £3.
Old 02 February 2020, 12:40   #5
Etze
A3000-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
horrible experience on a system expecting a digital joystick with hard stops.
Depends if he bought a digital or an analog PC joystick. There were digital-joysticks with 15-pins. For example the Competition Pro PC. But I guess the "Gravis Joystick" is an analog one.

Of course it's possible to use it on Amiga with an adapter. But of course it's only useful in games supporting analog joysticks (F1GP, Knights of the sky and so on).
Old 03 February 2020, 09:44   #6
Daedalus

Yep, if it's an analogue stick, it makes some games into an entirely different experience. I played Birds of Prey to death with a standard 15-pin analogue joystick and a homemade adaptor. I needed to add a couple of capacitors to it to improve the sensitivity as PC joysticks tend to be slightly different to the Amiga analogue stick specs, but it was a trivial thing to do all the same.
Old 03 February 2020, 11:52   #7
Misclegend
Banned

any1 have the schems+ pinouts of such PcJoy2AMIGA adapter?

I want to build one or adapt some old PC joystick to Amiga
thanks
Old 03 February 2020, 12:15   #8
Daedalus

There are several examples on Aminet, or the pinouts for both ports are easily found online if you want to roll your own.
Old 03 February 2020, 15:25   #9
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
There are several examples on Aminet, or the pinouts for both ports are easily found online if you want to roll your own.

post a link plz
Old 03 February 2020, 15:41   #10
DamienD
Banned

Maybe this: JoyProject20.lha?
Old 04 February 2020, 04:44   #11
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Maybe this: JoyProject20.lha?
thanks sir
that was what i was looking for
I hope the diagram there is correct I will check this tomorrow

in the link also there is pic to connect normal Amiga 2nd and 3nd button joy ,
but is not very correct because in the case of the 2nd button need a 1K resistor wired to 5V ( PIN 7)
otherwise will not work in some games, ie Aladdin,bc kid, bubble and squeak and so on
Old 04 February 2020, 12:09   #12
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
in the link also there is pic to connect normal Amiga 2nd and 3nd button joy ,
but is not very correct because in the case of the 2nd button need a 1K resistor wired to 5V ( PIN 7)
otherwise will not work in some games, ie Aladdin,bc kid, bubble and squeak and so on
Not true on any machines I've seen. It's a different story when an adaptor of some sort is being used, but pins 5 and 9 are designed to be used with normal switches without pull-ups. After all, that's how the right and middle mouse buttons work on the Amiga.
Old 04 February 2020, 22:11   #13
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Not true on any machines I've seen. It's a different story when an adaptor of some sort is being used, but pins 5 and 9 are designed to be used with normal switches without pull-ups. After all, that's how the right and middle mouse buttons work on the Amiga.
yes in theory buttons joy button 2 and 3 are designed to work without resistors, but the 2nd button in the games I mentioned above do not work without a resistor wired to 5v
also adding a resistor in the 2nd button becomes more sensitive , so is recommended to add one
Old 05 February 2020, 09:43   #14
Daedalus

I can't speak for the other games since I don't play them, but I've never had a problem with Aladdin in 2-button mode on any machine I've tried. Perhaps there's some issue with your machine? After all, if that doesn't work, a right or middle mouse button wouldn't work either. And why does a button need to be "more sensitive"? It either works as it should, or it doesn't.
Old 06 February 2020, 07:57   #15
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
I can't speak for the other games since I don't play them, but I've never had a problem with Aladdin in 2-button mode on any machine I've tried. Perhaps there's some issue with your machine? After all, if that doesn't work, a right or middle mouse button wouldn't work either. And why does a button need to be "more sensitive"? It either works as it should, or it doesn't.
it seems you do not understand
the pullup resistors are for that, to make the buttons more responsive
having a positive voltage always works better with less delay/lag
buttons react with very little pressure and fail less because of dirt/bad contact/oxide in the joystick board

I also recommend add a pull up resistor in button 1 as long as the joystick doesn't have autofire, because interfere with that function