Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 January 2019, 00:38   #121
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
On WinUAE you can also overcome even higher resolution, see video

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test-Doom.avi
yes but you completely miss the point

For me personal UAE is perfectly ok, I do not need "the real one" just to be happy. But many people prefer real amiga hardware. So despite WinUAE on a 3 GHz PC certainly is faster than a vampirized A600 it is not relevant.
Old 28 January 2019, 00:41   #122
AMIGASYSTEM

I had promised myself not to intervene, but then I read this, which is bad information:

"Have you seen the videos of A600’s with vampire installed? The performance is incredible.

I have a high end PC but never had that performance with WinUAE."
Old 28 January 2019, 00:44   #123
OlafSch

Quote:
I had promised myself not to intervene, but then I read this, which is bad information:

"Have you seen the videos of A600’s with vampire installed? The performance is incredible.

that is of course nonsense. Or his "high end PC" has a serious problem. Or his UAE configuration is very bad. Difficult to know here. I would not have commented it at all.
Old 28 January 2019, 00:46   #124
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
that is of course nonsense. Or his "high end PC" has a serious problem. Or his UAE configuration is very bad. Difficult to know here. I would not have commented it at all.
In fact, my intervention was only to correct bad information
Old 28 January 2019, 00:59   #125
Welshieinnz

Quote:

No, the config was fine and running on a 980ti, i7 etc. but, as we know, WinUAE doesn’t take use of multi core CPU’s
Old 28 January 2019, 01:02   #126
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshieinnz View Post
No, the config was fine and running on a 980ti, i7 etc. but, as we know, WinUAE doesn’t take use of multi core CPU’s
One is enough to fly, with an i7 and 64MB RAM on go on mars
Old 28 January 2019, 01:39   #127
Welshieinnz

Quote:
One is enough to fly, with an i7 and 64MB RAM on go on mars

Lol!

If you have any suggestions regarding what settings to put WinUAE on, drivers needed etc, I’d be more than happy to try!
Old 28 January 2019, 02:09   #128
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
@ Bruce Abbott
FPGA's was available back then but was far too expensive!
The first commercially available FPGA was the Xilinx XC2064 which hit the market in 1985.
Before that there was PROM and PLD devices which led to FPGA's.
Altera was founded in 1983 and delivered the industry's first reprogrammable logic device in 1984, the EP300. (Info taken from Wikipedia).
The EP300 was 'reprogrammable' like an EPROM (using a UV eraser and external programmer). While the XC2064 was technically an FPGA, it was nothing like the modern FGAs we use today. Configuration data was usually stored in onboard parallel EPROM, which was not programmable in-circuit. And it only had 64 logic blocks, the same as a typical CPLD.
Old 28 January 2019, 04:34   #129
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinkamor12 View Post
WinUAE is hundred times faster than vampire
Not on my PC it isn't. With CPU emulation speed set to fastest possible AIBB says it's running at 70MHz and the Dhrystone test is 12.5 times faster than a stock A600. In comparison, AIBB thinks my Vampire'd 600 is running at 2509MHz, and the Dhrystone test is 93 times faster. So that means the Vampire is going ~27 times faster than WinUAE on my PC.

Now granted my PC isn't the fastest - it only has a Pentium D running at 2.8GHz. According to PassMark an I7-8700k @3.7GHz is 27 times faster than my CPU. But the Vampire is 27 times faster too, which suggests an i7 would only just match its speed. So where does this magical 'hundred times faster' come from?
Old 28 January 2019, 07:37   #130
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshieinnz View Post
If you have any suggestions regarding what settings to put WinUAE on
First thing to do, obviously, is to turn off any "cycle exact" options.
Old 28 January 2019, 09:13   #131
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Not on my PC it isn't. With CPU emulation speed set to fastest possible AIBB says it's running at 70MHz and the Dhrystone test is 12.5 times faster than a stock A600. In comparison, AIBB thinks my Vampire'd 600 is running at 2509MHz, and the Dhrystone test is 93 times faster. So that means the Vampire is going ~27 times faster than WinUAE on my PC.

Now granted my PC isn't the fastest - it only has a Pentium D running at 2.8GHz. According to PassMark an I7-8700k @3.7GHz is 27 times faster than my CPU. But the Vampire is 27 times faster too, which suggests an i7 would only just match its speed. So where does this magical 'hundred times faster' come from?
Try setting winuae to max speed AND activate JIT.
If you haven't upgraded DirectX then try windowed mode rather than fullscreen (or the other way around) as DX7 can mess up the performance completely.

On my i7 4710hq, Dhrystone test says 2,6 million and most values get out of range.
I can assemble a 4MB source code with Phxass in less than 1 second on this config. I doubt vampire cards can even get close to that...
Old 28 January 2019, 11:01   #132
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Could some mod step in and move the whole UAE is better than Vampire discussion somewhere else? It's very off topic...
Old 28 January 2019, 11:53   #133
Aladin

a game that run on winuae is much faster that the same game on his windows version?
why use winuae....
Old 28 January 2019, 12:16   #134
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
Could some mod step in and move the whole UAE is better than Vampire discussion somewhere else? It's very off topic...
Sure, you guys give me the exact post that need moving and I'll do this...
Old 28 January 2019, 20:48   #135
puppypc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Sure, you guys give me the exact post that need moving and I'll do this...
I'd say 116-127, 130-131 for sure.
Old 28 January 2019, 21:26   #136
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
No, it's quite relevant. The OP says that the Vampire 4 "looks like an incredible piece of kit! Whether you want it as an accelerator or a stand-alone, it's going to be pretty exciting". But others say it's a hundred times slower than WinUAE on a PC and therefore not so exciting. Why would anyone be interested in a device that costs more than a PC and is 100 times slower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf
Try setting winuae to max speed AND activate JIT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla
First thing to do, obviously, is to turn off any "cycle exact" options.
So to get the speed you have to compromise compatibility? Hmmm. The Vampire is starting to look attractive again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf
On my i7 4710hq, Dhrystone test says 2,6 million
Thanks for that. My Vampire gets 147,753 Dhrystones, so according to AIBB your PC is 17.6 times faster. And I only have Gold core 2.5 in my Vampire so it's not going as fast as it could.
Old 29 January 2019, 00:13   #137
Gorf

All simple benchmarks with enabled JIT are highly unreliable due to the nature of a optimizing JIT.
To test the actual speed one would have to compare real workload with real applications.

No question: WinUAE on a high-end PC will still be faster, but it will also consume much more power.
Old 29 January 2019, 00:19   #138
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
No question: WinUAE on a high-end PC will still be faster, but it will also consume much more power.
This is normal more power plus energy consumed, JIT is fabulous and indispensable, you can not run a modern system AMiGA like AfA-OS or Amikit without FPU and without JIT.
Old 29 January 2019, 01:03   #139
Gorf

JIT is great - you just have to be careful if you use it for benchmarks like Sysspeed or AIBB.

The Vampire does have a FPU. And you can run your full fletched Workbench with AfA etc. an it. Without JIT ;-)
Old 29 January 2019, 01:20   #140
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
The Vampire does have a FPU. And you can run your full fletched Workbench with AfA etc. an it. Without JIT ;-)
Are you sure? i do not think so, you're probably using Femu (but it does not work well with AfA-OS), i have not yet seen a Vampire that installs AfA-OS, AFA-WB, Amikit8 or AmikitX

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge...1&x=1&z=yVTFxa

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 29 January 2019 at 01:47.