English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 June 2008, 13:45   #1
Mr B

Swapping a disc (harddrive) back and forth between the Amiga, and WinUAE.

I know i did this "back then" but since then there seams to have been made a few new accessmodes for the harddrive. So, when i try and hook the harddrive up (thats now in a USB carrier, instead of in on a 40->44 pin adaptor) what controller should i tell UAE to use, as not to mess the booting on the Amiga up?

Is there a way to mount the harddrive and do the configuration stuff (installing WB, setting things up to use SFS and so on) on UAE instead of doing it on the Amiga, that will let it work on the Amiga after putting it in there? Or should i just put it in, install and so on, and just lift the drive over to the PC as a mean of transfering files to the Amiga?

Reason for even asking... My old 2GB drive died last night. Have yet to figure out if it's dead dead, or just plain corrupted. Will put it in a laptop with Spinrite6 on later.
B!

Last edited by Mr B; 18 June 2008 at 13:57. Reason: It was asked for... Was a bit unclear perhaps.
Old 18 June 2008, 13:54   #2
Amiga1992

Can you change your thread title? I thought you were talking about floppy disks or CDs (that's what disc tells me)

You can use any controller I believe. I used IDE for my CF card because otherwise it didn't seem to show up on HDInstTools but for other programs, anything seems to work fine. Nothing will get changed in your HD if you change the controller type. Whatever the default is, leave it at that.

Once inserted in your PC and run under WinUAE, the drive acts just like an Amiga drive. You can do whatever you want with it and it will work in your Amiga. That's how I prepared my CompactFlash card and will work for hard drives as well. Once I get back from tour I will install SFS in my hard drive as well (as a backup) using the emulator.
Old 18 June 2008, 14:07   #3
Mr B

Thats just it. Different access modes should have different (dis)advantages, such as not emulating the underlaying hardware correctly, and hence not allowing a proper identification, in this case, of the harddrive. I imagine the "uae" mode is an example of such. For speed just emulate what you have to, and let the emulator handle the rest. I assume any software trying for low level access to the hardware fails with this mode.
(Not saying i know this is what happens here, just saying it makes sense)
I'll use IDE as per your recommendation.

Thanks.
B!
Old 18 June 2008, 14:30   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"UAE" (uaehf.device) has full 64-bit support, no patches needed, "optimized" for emulation (very simple code path) etc..

IDE is A600/A1200/A4000 IDE, has usual 4G restriction without OS3.5+, much faster than real IDE, there is no crappy PIO-0 emulation

SCSI is A590/A2091 SCSI, different restrictions depending on used SCSI ROM.

IMPORTANT NOTE: you still need 64-bit compatible filesystem even if you use uaehf.device (if you use >4G drive)

Less important note: HDToolbox requires device name (via command line or icon tooltype) if device is not called scsi.device. Nothing to do with emulation, all 3rd party HD controllers require it.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 18 June 2008 at 14:35.
Old 18 June 2008, 15:39   #5
Mr B

Ah. Lovely. Cheers mate. So, IDE it is, will fiddle around with this a bit and see if i can install, and configure for 4GB+ through UAE.

Big thanks to both of ya.
B!