English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 May 2004, 16:53   #1
kokoko3k

50Hz isn't smooth but 60 is !

Hi all,
When i try to play games at 50 hz (using 100hz as monitor refresh)
scrolling isn't smooth ?
Every 2-3 seconds it seems to be "uncertain", stopping for a little while (almost imperceptible), but it happens.

no matter if i use vsync or not, no matter if sound is enabled also.

Note that if i select 60hz (setting my monitor to 120 or 60) problem goes away, sound is faster (of course), but scrolling is definitely smooth and not uncertains.

Is there some setting i must try to chenge ?
thanls in advance !

Old 21 May 2004, 13:52   #2
Bobbin

I have the same problem. I used Powerstrip to set a mode of 720x576@50Hz. WinUAE displays a rock solid 50fps, with or without sound. However, the scrolling just isn't smooth, no matter if I enable VSync or not. I also tried 100Hz which doesn't work either and which I would prefer because of all the flickering. I was once able to pull of smooth scrolling at 60Hz but not with the current build. I always try a savestate of Turrican, made with the latest release of WinUAE. Any ideas?
Old 21 May 2004, 16:36   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Bobbin: Do you mean you don't see any difference between enabled or disabled vsync? Make sure you haven't disabled Direct3D Vsync (using display driver settings or any tweaking software). It will also disable DirectDraw vsync.

100Hz mode problems: skipping every other frame isn't too simple and it seems there are some differences depending on used display card or driver.
Old 21 May 2004, 17:56   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Bobbin: Do you mean you don't see any difference between enabled or disabled vsync? Make sure you haven't disabled Direct3D Vsync (using display driver settings or any tweaking software). It will also disable DirectDraw vsync.

100Hz mode problems: skipping every other frame isn't too simple and it seems there are some differences depending on used display card or driver.
Thanks for your support. I didn't know that these settings depended on each another so this really helped. This is what I was able to do after turning off the "Disable VSync" option in Powerstrip (you should mention that in the docs):

50 Hz: Setting VSync on before starting the game crashes WinUAE with a CPU usage of 99%. Enabling VSync after the game has started produces a wonderfully smooth pictures which unfortunately creates major headaches after some minutes on my monitor.

60Hz: Doesn't crash at startup, no problems here. However, Turrican obviously runs too fast. Scrolling very smooth again but no choice for authentic gaming.

100Hz: There was no way to produce smooth scrolling here. The display always looks kind of blurred and has occasional hiccups although WinUAE runs at solid 50fps with sound enabled. No difference between VSync on and off here (VSync made the hiccups disappear from 50Hz and 60Hz modes). However, turning sound off gave me the smooth display I wanted but with 100fps Turrican was on speed. Seemed like the timer adjusted to the frequency rather than ticks from the sound card.

I always checked that the monitor ran at the correct frequency. However, thanks for implementing it, maybe someday I will have a WinUAE compatible graphics card (At the moment it's an ATI 9500 Pro).

Old 24 May 2004, 10:10   #5
Melroc

Send a message via ICQ to Melroc
I also use PowerStrip to force my f***ing video driver to set 50hz. By the way, i've never checked the VSync button, since i discoverd PS. No probs with scrolling, sound or whatever, neither headache
60 hz is def. not usable for PAL games and @100hz i've never got a crystal clear scrolling, so @50hz via PS is the only solution.
Old 25 May 2004, 18:25   #6
kokoko3k

Solved 50hz issue

Simply switched from DirectX filters to Opengl gave me an excellent 50hz scrolling even at 100hz.

Old 30 June 2004, 11:51   #7
Bobbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko3k
Simply switched from DirectX filters to Opengl gave me an excellent 50hz scrolling even at 100hz.
Lucky bastard, no matter what I try, the only smooth scrolling I get is at a brain-blowing 50 Hz Even WinUAEX won't let me experience smooth scrolling. Seems Turrican 2 still has to wait for its replay.
Old 30 June 2004, 17:07   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
100Hz: There was no way to produce smooth scrolling here. The display always looks kind of blurred
Blurring "effects" and, above all, ghosted text in 100 Hz mode (easy to perceive with old demos and crack intros having scroll texts) is a long-known "feature". Texts will display as if one or two layers are shifted against the other layers.

(This will maybe never be fixed, because Toni has practically given up on this.
Maybe some of *you* reading this has the skills to fix it resp. to tell him by what the problem is actually caused? Speak up! )
Old 30 June 2004, 18:48   #9
Feltzkrone

The problem is that your monitor outputs 100 pictures per second but WinUAE does 50 pictures per second only. It's all a matter of physical facts, I think.

Look here: http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

Quote:
Just think of modern games: Have you ever played Quake with 18fps? There is no motion blur in those games, thus you need a lot of frames per second more.
Sounds like motion blur would be a good candidate to reduce the annoying "effects". What we should do is create an .avi file via WinUAE and use VirtualDub to convert the framerate to 100 per second and afterwards apply different filters to see if they can make things better. As VirtualDub is opensource and so the filter plugin interface is known it would probably be possible to include the solution, if any found, directly in WinUAE.