English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 31 January 2012, 10:07   #1
mousehouse

Building WarpOS binaries on classic / 3.x

Hello fellow EAB'ers,

It seems most developers have left amiga.org, thus this long-time lurker comes running here ;-)

Finally I have succeeded in getting gcc 2.95.3 up and running and successfully compiling C code on 68K. Have not tried anything too fancy but it compiles, spits out an "a.out" binary that actually runs. Nice...

Now that I have that working I want to get the PPC/WarpOS part up and running. I have the 5 archives containing the add-ons installed successfully, meaning that I should have a compiler that can create PPC code running on 68K...

I can do a "ppc-amigaos-gcc -warpup --version" and it tells me nicely that it is 2.95.3 etc. Now when I actually try to compile my hello.c, it bails out on me... The 68K compiler runs fine, no issues there. I can run the first stage of the compiler just fine, after that 'ar' bails out on me with "as: unrecognized option 'u"...

Any clues? I've got the binutils from the latest GG snapshot on back2roots, it tells me it's version 2.91.

see:

Old 31 January 2012, 11:08   #2
phx
Natteravn

Hard to say. When I should guess, I would say that your WarpOS-compiler still calls the 68k assembler? Or the compiler frontend expects a different assembler version?

Probably an installation problem. Try to find out with SnoopDos which binaries are really started. Maybe you get a clue from that.

My personal opinion is that you should look out for a real WarpOS compiler. Most of those gcc ports I have seen do neither support the WarpOS PowerOpen ABI nor do they create EHF object files.

Instead they will still generate ELF objects using the V.4-ABI. And to make that work they need a wrapper function for each WarpOS kernel call to fix the stack frame. But this doesn't help for callback functions, of course. So it might happen that your stack gets corrupted...
Old 31 January 2012, 11:24   #3
mousehouse

Thanks!

What's the best way to create WarpOS binaries in your opinion? StormC 4.x? Or stick with my SAS/C 6.58 creating PowerUP code?

edit:
Correct, it seems the compiler calls the 68K assembler for creating a binary, which obviously fails. I checked the .S file and it looks like powerpc assembly compared to regular 68K assembly. Will do a snoopdos tonight to see what it is calling...

Last edited by mousehouse; 31 January 2012 at 11:34.

Old 31 January 2012, 11:45   #4
thomas

I'd use VBCC. If you don't need C++ it's the best C compiler for all Amiga-like OSes (except AROS unfortunately). It runs on every Amiga OS and can create code for every other Amiga OS.
Old 31 January 2012, 13:03   #5
mousehouse

I dislike C++ anyway, so I'll give VBCC a go... The version on Aminet is 0.8, on http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vbcc/index.php?view=download I can see 0.9b... any best/most-recently-updated/recommended version?

Old 31 January 2012, 13:19   #6
phx
Natteravn

The most recent version is always the one on the vbcc home page:
http://sun.hasenbraten.de/vbcc/
It is V0.9b.
Old 31 January 2012, 13:58   #7
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
It is V0.9b.
OT: are you aware already that the 68k binary of fd2pragma crashes in 0.9b? It runs well in 0.9a.
Old 31 January 2012, 14:16   #8
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
OT: are you aware already that the 68k binary of fd2pragma crashes in 0.9b? It runs well in 0.9a.
Indeed, you're right!
I will check that and upload an update.
Thanks.
Old 31 January 2012, 16:52   #9
phx
Natteravn

Done.