English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 18 March 2014, 23:06   #241
vext01

After wasting far too long faffing (and failing) with the windows flasher, I tried stm32flash on debian. Worked first time.

Install build-essentials and git with apt-get. The get the stm32flash code from here:
https://gitorious.org/stm32flash/stm32flash

Run 'make' to build the code, then run:

Code:
# ./stm32flash -w ~edd/CortexAmigaFloppyEmulator/Firmware/CortexAmigaFloppyEmulator_1.04a.hex /dev/ttyUSB0
stm32flash - http://stm32flash.googlecode.com/

Using Parser : Intel HEX
Serial Config: 57600 8E1
Version      : 0x22
Option 1     : 0x00
Option 2     : 0x00
Device ID    : 0x0418 (Connectivity line)
- RAM        : 64KiB  (4096b reserved by bootloader)
- Flash      : 256KiB (sector size: 2x2048)
- Option RAM : 16b
- System RAM : 18KiB

Wrote address 0x0800f49c (100.00%) Done.

Resetting device... done.
This was using this device: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1910915205...84.m1439.l2649 which has the same pinout as: https://www.adafruit.com/products/954

Code:
red power, black ground, white RX into USB port, and green TX out of the USB port.
Dmesg snippet:

Code:
[  735.619220] usb 5-1: Product: USB-Serial Controller
[  735.619226] usb 5-1: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
[  735.621300] pl2303 5-1:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
[  735.633356] usb 5-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Setup pictured here: http://imgur.com/a/1spsK

Success!

Last edited by vext01; 19 March 2014 at 09:47.
Old 19 March 2014, 07:25   #242
Total Eclipse

A quick question - is there any chance that this drive will ever be able to function as both DF0: and DF1: at the same time in the same way as the Raspberry Pi emulator and the HxC, or is that not possible?

I just wondered how it could be used with software that needs more than 1 drive? (I'm thinking of "Jesus on E's" as a specific example.)
Old 19 March 2014, 08:00   #243
H.M

I see 2 possbilities :
-Active a second drive select line into the firmware.
Or
-Just add the possibility into the selector to select another physical emulator.

To be honest i prefer the second solution : this will be more logical and easy to handle since the images will not be "linked"... The cost here is not anymore an issue .

BTW have you some others software examples needed 2 drives beside of "Jesus on E's" ?
Old 19 March 2014, 08:30   #244
H.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
H.M,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

What is the likelihood of ipf support?

i.e is the hardware capable of doing it.

Does the hardware have enough flash left to add support, is the processor on the hardware good enough etc.
Yes the hardware is able to support this. In fact i already use a timer with dma to generate the mfm pulses (27ns stepping ). not the common spi usage, so it is possible to modulate the output. The problem is that the ipf support sound complicated and long to implement from scratch... Is anyone have done this before ?
Old 19 March 2014, 16:09   #245
Total Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M View Post
BTW have you some others software examples needed 2 drives beside of "Jesus on E's" ?
To be honest, Jesus on E's is the only one that I can think of, though I imagine it could have other uses if you don't want to have a second drive hanging out of the back of your Amiga, for example if you're running a floppy based app that needs to save to a separate disk then it would stop you having to keep swapping disks, or if running a 2 disk game.

It would perhaps be a nice to have feature, rather than being essential.
Old 19 March 2014, 19:47   #246
desiv

Just a thought on the kickstart disk issue (if it is, I'll try to make a new ADF of my kickstart disk when I can, in case my kickstart.adf is bad).

There's an app PIRU wrote called mkkickwork that creates a combined kickstart/workbench floppy format. I use one of those on my A1000 to load the IDE drivers and transfer control to my IDE controller..

Anyway, not sure if the source code for that might have some clues around the kickstart/kickwork disk format, but PIRU has released the code for it...

https://www.sintonen.fi/src/mkkickwork/

Again, not critical, just something I noticed...

Still awaiting some parts so I can try to make a floppy and power cables that I can hook to a switch and choose which device to use..

desiv
Old 21 March 2014, 00:39   #247
Nobby_UK

Just as a matter of interest:
Has anybody gotten anything but a True USB Memory Stick to work ?

I have tried Micro-SD to USB = No Go
Standard SD-HD to USB = No Go
2.5 inch IDE Hard Drive to USB = No Go
Even CF to IDE to USB = No Go
Old 21 March 2014, 09:04   #248
H.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Just as a matter of interest:
Has anybody gotten anything but a True USB Memory Stick to work ?

I have tried Micro-SD to USB = No Go
Standard SD-HD to USB = No Go
2.5 inch IDE Hard Drive to USB = No Go
Even CF to IDE to USB = No Go
Yes me !

Old 21 March 2014, 09:33   #249
Higgy

H.M - When selecting files on an A1200 (and a '030 expanded one at that!) with the keyboard, it is very easy to select the .ADF and automatically select 'SAVE & REBOOT' on the next screen.

You have to tap the ENTER key very quickly. Otherwise the MENU goes to the second screen for allocating the ADF to a file slot so quickly it has already selected REBOOT.

If adjusting the timing in the MENU PROG is tricky, how about a 'dummy' line on the SECOND page of the MENU, so if it does jump to the SECOND MENU PAGE you will not REBOOT the computer. You would just press down once for SAVE & REBOOT and down again to the part where you put the ADF into the required SLOTS.

Cheers.
Old 21 March 2014, 12:40   #250
LTAC

Gotek modified with pins headers installed for Reset, RX, TX & Prog Mode (jumper). Awaiting the USB cable today.

Old 21 March 2014, 13:29   #251
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M View Post
For a test you could try Pink Floyd - The Wall (Demo) by Split Dimension.

It's on 6 disks and requires 2 floppy drives to run!
It only runs on a stock A500+A2000, but i think it runs ok on an A600 to!

Download and info here-
http://www.classicamiga.com/content/view/4669/102/
Old 21 March 2014, 14:00   #252
mamejay

Finally got my drive in the mail today. Flashed it no problems but then could not get it working. I found that my Transcend 2gb USB stick is not compatible with it. Tried a few other no name brand sticks I have and they work perfectly.
Might be a good idea to make a list of non-compatible USB sticks.
BTW : This is a great piece of hardware and such a great, cheap solution

Old 21 March 2014, 20:54   #253
Total Eclipse

Another thought I had today. Is it possible to have 2 floppies on a single cable (like a pc) inside an A1200? As the pcb in the Gotek is fairly small, I wondered if it would be possible to make holes on the left hand side, opposite floppy drive, to accommodate the usb port and buttons, and possibly mount the led somewhere above the keyboard. This means the floppy drive is redundant, unless perhaps the Gotek could be df0: and the floppy becomes df1: ?
Old 22 March 2014, 21:54   #254
robinsonb5

Been doing a bit of "ratsnest prototyping" on the back of a Gotek unit this evening:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 March 2014, 22:37   #255
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Been doing a bit of "ratsnest prototyping" on the back of a Gotek unit this evening:
[ Show youtube player ]
Erm i think you need to rename your video its piezo not plezo.. Lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspe...ctric_speakers

Btw.. Sounds good.. lets you know something is happening.

Last edited by Vot; 23 March 2014 at 00:25.
Old 22 March 2014, 23:06   #256
mamejay

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
That is perfect!! How did you manage to do that?

Old 23 March 2014, 00:16   #257
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Erm i think you need to rename your video its piezo not plezo.. Lol
Gah! Held down the shift key too long! Fixed now

Quote:
That is perfect!! How did you manage to do that?
It's actually really simple, it just uses a couple of transistors to feed the sounder from the floppy drive "step" signal. No firmware modifications required!

The rats-nest prototype is *not* pretty, however!

I'm actually pretty fuzzy about the finer details of using transistors, so I'll put together a schematic and ask any experts on the subject how it could be improved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RatsNest.jpg
Views:	1351
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	39495  
Old 23 March 2014, 09:09   #258
mamejay

Quote:
Gah! Held down the shift key too long! Fixed now

It's actually really simple, it just uses a couple of transistors to feed the sounder from the floppy drive "step" signal. No firmware modifications required!

The rats-nest prototype is *not* pretty, however!

I'm actually pretty fuzzy about the finer details of using transistors, so I'll put together a schematic and ask any experts on the subject how it could be improved.
If you tell me the values of the resisters, capacitor and also what transistors you used I can draw up schematics of this.

What did you use to get the sound?

Old 23 March 2014, 10:41   #259
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamejay View Post
If you tell me the values of the resisters, capacitor and also what transistors you used I can draw up schematics of this.
Well I've drawn up a rough schematic, since it's the easiest way of explaining what I've actually done - but there may be a better way of doing it, and the resistor values could probably do with adjusting.

Quote:
What did you use to get the sound?
I'm using the "step" pulse from the floppy interface to make the sound, and the rest is simply to trigger the piezo sounder. (Note that the Gotek pulls the Step pin up to 3v3, not the usual 5v.)

I sometimes get some unwanted oscillation which makes the sounder squeal, but it goes away when I touch the sounder, so I guess C1 probably needs to be bigger?

The circuit was developed largely by trial and error, and there may be a better way of doing it. The main transistor (T2) needs to be a very fast switching type, since the Step pulse is active low and very short. It also loads down the step signal somewhat, so may need a resistor between the emitter and ground?

I'm not sure the 2N2222's even necessary, though its comparatively large storage time should be widening the step pulse somewhat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GotekSound.png
Views:	588
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	39496  
Old 23 March 2014, 11:43   #260
mamejay

Quote:
Well I've drawn up a rough schematic, since it's the easiest way of explaining what I've actually done - but there may be a better way of doing it, and the resistor values could probably do with adjusting.

I'm using the "step" pulse from the floppy interface to make the sound, and the rest is simply to trigger the piezo sounder. (Note that the Gotek pulls the Step pin up to 3v3, not the usual 5v.)

I sometimes get some unwanted oscillation which makes the sounder squeal, but it goes away when I touch the sounder, so I guess C1 probably needs to be bigger?

The circuit was developed largely by trial and error, and there may be a better way of doing it. The main transistor (T2) needs to be a very fast switching type, since the Step pulse is active low and very short. It also loads down the step signal somewhat, so may need a resistor between the emitter and ground?

I'm not sure the 2N2222's even necessary, though its comparatively large storage time should be widening the step pulse somewhat.
Awesome! I had to look up what a piezo sounder was. I have found a few on eBay but not sure if these would do.
Would something like this be correct?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-or-10-P...item53fc924156