English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 November 2016, 11:23   #1
jdog320

Hyperion's stance on amithlon?

http://www.amigahistory.plus.com/emu...rionblast.html

Hyperion once said that AMIGAOS/x86 is suicide because it can't compete with Windows. If this did happen, could they be right? Could they atleast try? Or amiga would've been better now it was in x86/64 rather than ppc.

Last edited by jdog320; 26 November 2016 at 11:28.
Old 26 November 2016, 13:43   #2
pandy71

Drivers - this is a key for success - Linux any many niche OS's support HW with many limitations - Windows usually outperform them due of this.
Old 26 November 2016, 13:48   #3
jdog320

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Drivers - this is a key for success - Linux any many niche OS's support HW with many limitations - Windows usually outperform them due of this.
Yeah drivers are a prob with linux. It a shame really, Amithlon was fast. And you know if it's still dev'd today, you could probably build a dirt cheap Miggy that costs 10x less than the AmigaONEs. And it was also quite compatible.... for the most part. I guess that they could use a PCI card for the missing AGA chipset.
Old 26 November 2016, 13:58   #4
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog320 View Post
Yeah drivers are a prob with linux. It a shame really, Amithlon was fast. And you know if it's still dev'd today, you could probably build a dirt cheap Miggy that costs 10x less than the AmigaONEs. And it was also quite compatible.... for the most part. I guess that they could use a PCI card for the missing AGA chipset.
Well... modern graphical HW offers multiple way to combine different video sources so legacy Amiga HW emulation is not a problem (small ASIC can replace whole AGA functionality). Side to this Apple is living proof that you can change twice ISA (from 68k to Power PC and later from Power PC to x86) and still provide legacy software support + new functionality - side to this dual boot on Mac is quite popular but normally people running virtual machine (and IMHO adding in such x86 Amiga virtual machine able to run Windows within Amiga ecosystem prevent people form not using Amiga OS especially that Windows suffer from other limitations so Amiga OS can be more beneficial for regular customers - (spying and DRM on Windows consume huge amount of cycles).
Old 26 November 2016, 14:12   #5
jdog320

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Well... modern graphical HW offers multiple way to combine different video sources so legacy Amiga HW emulation is not a problem (small ASIC can replace whole AGA functionality). Side to this Apple is living proof that you can change twice ISA (from 68k to Power PC and later from Power PC to x86) and still provide legacy software support + new functionality - side to this dual boot on Mac is quite popular but normally people running virtual machine (and IMHO adding in such x86 Amiga virtual machine able to run Windows within Amiga ecosystem prevent people form not using Amiga OS especially that Windows suffer from other limitations so Amiga OS can be more beneficial for regular customers - (spying and DRM on Windows consume huge amount of cycles).
Just imagine the world today..........
Old 26 November 2016, 15:51   #6
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I believe Bernie had the right idea with Amithlon and using a hybrid emulation/native code method of slowly moving to full x86 code. Granted I'm a HUGE Amithlon fan so I may be a tad biased on this
Old 26 November 2016, 23:56   #7
Ratteler

You do realize this "Official Statement" is 16 years old? Is Hyperion even still relevant?
Old 27 November 2016, 04:26   #8
jdog320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratteler View Post
You do realize this "Official Statement" is 16 years old? Is Hyperion even still relevant?
I thought they were making AmigaOS 3.1 updates?
Old 27 November 2016, 05:10   #9
Ratteler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog320 View Post
I thought they were making AmigaOS 3.1 updates?
Could be. I don't know.

But I think the PPC vs X86 argument is very very dead.

There was just no way for PPC to EVER compete with the economies of scale in the X86 market.

PPC was the dumbest move in the history of bad moves, and the resurrection of Apple and OS X to a market leader began when they dumped the PPC platform and moved to X86.
Old 27 November 2016, 06:51   #10
jdog320

Quote:
Could be. I don't know.

But I think the PPC vs X86 argument is very very dead.

There was just no way for PPC to EVER compete with the economies of scale in the X86 market.

PPC was the dumbest move in the history of bad moves, and the resurrection of Apple and OS X to a market leader began when they dumped the PPC platform and moved to X86.
I agree, Amiga migrating to ppc was a bad idea. I think the reason apple nailed it in the 90s because the PowerPC builds of MacOS contained a rather fast 68k emulator, so backwards compatibility was on point. It was so seamless to use and it ran at native speeds. OS4 on the other hand is a diff. Story.....
Old 27 November 2016, 19:57   #11
tin

Quote:
This. I hated the idea of x86 back in the day, and yet could see that it was necessary. If we just got on and wrote the emulation, something more than today would be here. (that may be already there in Amithlon, I dunno how it works, I have unfortunately never got around to using it).

Hyperion were right to a degree, but their position assumed success with PPC etc. Which was a massive massive assumption. Again the Amiga market ate itself.
Old 28 November 2016, 08:01   #12
wXR

Who cares what Hyperion's stance is on anything? Why do threads like this continue popping up? Ignore this obnoxious copyright troll out of business.
Old 28 November 2016, 11:19   #13
Ratteler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
Who cares what Hyperion's stance is on anything? Why do threads like this continue popping up? Ignore this obnoxious copyright troll out of business.
Because copyright trolls are what REALLY killed the Amiga.
It is because of entities like them that you can't download Amithilon or the ROM's for the Amiga and emulate, making development for the platform non-existent.

It's great to pay lip-service to "ignore this obnoxious copyright troll", but so far the community is unwilling to do so.
Old 28 November 2016, 21:27   #14
TenLeftFingers

You can buy the ROMs for a relatively decent price now. Especially on Google Play (about EUR2) so I don't see that as a major issue anymore for the individual user. For bigger projects and longevity, of course it needs to be all open-sourced since they don't have the man-power to produce anything I could use as my "main machine".
Old 29 November 2016, 03:08   #15
wXR

Buy ROMs? Some of you clearly like to draw out your suffering...
Old 30 November 2016, 12:19   #16
TenLeftFingers

Because if I want to sell a new spin on Amiga running on different hardware, I want to do it legally rather than invest money and then loose it.
Old 30 November 2016, 13:40   #17
Locutus

What new 'spin' is there to sell? Exactly the same stuff running on another port of FS-UAE?
Old 30 November 2016, 13:50   #18
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

There was a thread about the AmigaForever Workbench running on Linux. I personally think that if someone could make the AmigaForever WB, install and work properly in Linux then, to me, that would be a better solution than trying to resurrect Amithlon.
Old 30 November 2016, 15:17   #19
Locutus

How doesn't that work already? its just a set of preconfigured WinUAE images.