Agreed this is hopeful
Old 28 November 2015, 14:30   #382
roomeo

So... No news i guess? Two more weeks?
Old 28 November 2015, 16:05   #383
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I received my RapidRoad yesterday and I've just made the usb slots in my Amiga:

I will post more snapshots if there's no objection when I receive my clockport risers (it needs a couple), as I'll be using a Fast ATA MKIV plus a Clockport Expander by DJBase and a Prisma Soundcard. I just think this may be of some interest and they are products from four different developers.

Edit: I think I'll better open a thread when that is ready.

Last edited by Retrofan; 28 November 2015 at 20:55.
Old 07 December 2015, 14:58   #384
clebin

I also have the nak timeout error on my 4000/040. Worse than that, I put it into Zorro II mode and it still doesn't work. I have the clockport model incidentally - do I need to do anything besides remove the perspex cover?

Has work begun on investigating the problem? If not, do we have some idea of timescales?

Until a few weeks ago I'd wrongly assumed that the A3640 was just the upgrade card for the 4000/030, so I can see now just how big an issue this is.
Old 07 December 2015, 16:38   #385
roomeo

Do you get nak timeouts in z2 mode as well? If not I would guess there is something else that's the problem.
Old 07 December 2015, 17:28   #386
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
Do you get nak timeouts in z2 mode as well? If not I would guess there is something else that's the problem.
Yep, I get a nap timeout in Zorro-II. I take it you meant "If so"?
Old 07 December 2015, 18:02   #387
roomeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Yep, I get a nap timeout in Zorro-II. I take it you meant "If so"?
Yep.

What about the x-surf? No problems in both modes?
Old 07 December 2015, 19:52   #388
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomeo View Post
Yep.

What about the x-surf? No problems in both modes?
The X-Surf is fine in both modes. White light is on on the Rapid Road.

I've just tried Thor's MMULib as mentioned earlier in the thread, in Z2 and Z3 modes. Still no go.
Old 07 December 2015, 20:11   #389
roomeo

It's a driver issue I would guess. Maybe the clockport version has even more issues. Anyone else using the clockport version that could confirm this?
Old 07 December 2015, 22:50   #390
McTrinsic

Yes, CP-RR on XSurf 100.
NAK errors.

In a Phoenix Board, however - the worst case you can get .

Cheers,
McT
Old 04 January 2016, 22:02   #391
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Has work begun on investigating the problem? If not, do we have some idea of timescales?
Bump.

I've asked the reseller the same question but I haven't had a response from them either. Any progress Jens?
Old 04 January 2016, 22:08   #392
Davka

I've holded my purchase of RR because of this problem, so I'm waiting for solving it too.
Old 05 January 2016, 11:02   #393
roomeo

Jens is a clever guy, and he designed this system. So i would guess he knows exactly what the problem is.
My guess is that this is some hw related issue that cannot be resolved with a driver update. The silence we see here is some sort of damage control.

Hell, we have offered to help test this stuff for over a year now, why not accept this help?

Or he just dont care. Classic systems vs amiga reloaded.

This is pure speculation, but this could easily been avoided with a tiny bit of openess towards his customers. Prove me wrong.
Old 05 January 2016, 12:08   #394
McTrinsic

I completely disagree. Jens has taken great care to ensure large compatibility. I am under the impression he is trying to fully identify and make this issue reproducible.

More often than not these issues have some root causes in the system. The phoenixboard for example is pure luck if a Z-II card works or not.

Cheers,
McT
Old 05 January 2016, 12:15   #395
roomeo

It dont work on a stock a4k. That is some great QA.
If he really wanted this sorted out it could be done ages ago.
Old 05 January 2016, 12:41   #396
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
I completely disagree. Jens has taken great care to ensure large compatibility.
As roomeo pointed out this is not an exotic setup. It's a stock A4000/040 and forms a large chunk of the machines that this product is advertised and sold for.

Quote:
I am under the impression he is trying to fully identify and make this issue reproducible.
I hope so, but only Jens can make that statement with certainty. It's very frustrating to be honest, but I feel I'm being pretty polite - I just ask that he take 5 minutes to update us.
Old 05 January 2016, 12:49   #397
McTrinsic

These updates are a controversial thing to me - see the communication around the prisma megamix.

Regarding the stock computer argument I also have become very cautious. It is a very old computer and at the same time we should be aware of the big number of cases where the RR works wonderfully. C= more often than not had a very interesting policy to build things with whatever was left over. How many revisions are there of the 4kD?

I am aware that this doesn't help you. It just isn't as easy as it might seem.

Have you opened an official ticket?

Cheers,
McT
Old 05 January 2016, 13:07   #398
roomeo

Quote:
These updates are a controversial thing to me - see the communication around the prisma megamix.

Regarding the stock computer argument I also have become very cautious. It is a very old computer and at the same time we should be aware of the big number of cases where the RR works wonderfully. C= more often than not had a very interesting policy to build things with whatever was left over. How many revisions are there of the 4kD?

Cheers,
McT
I am aware of different a4k versions. That's why you must have good QA when selling these things. RR is STILL sold as it has no problems.. no mention on wiki or resellers pages about any issues. Hell, my reseller wasn't aware of the problems when I contacted them.

Where does one open a ticket? Icomp does not offer this on their page.

Cheers
Old 05 January 2016, 14:32   #399
McTrinsic

I just checked the website icomp.de - the ticketsystem is currently not available.

It was until recently, so I would assume it gets back soon.

Cheers,
McT
Old 05 January 2016, 14:55   #400
clebin

Quote:

Regarding the stock computer argument I also have become very cautious. It is a very old computer and at the same time we should be aware of the big number of cases where the RR works wonderfully.
How do you know the 'large compatibility' or the number of people that have it working beautifully? I'm not criticising you - none of us know those stats! It would be interesting to hear from people who have the RR working on an A4000 with A3640 in Zorro-III mode or otherwise.

Quote:
I know this stuff is hard and I don't mean to imply otherwise. People have waited a year and I think most have been very patient. That shows the respect everyone has for Jens' work. Providing a fix is difficult, but providing one or two sentence update is not. Previously, work was apparently "shelved" without us being informed. The last update was 2 months ago when it seemed as those some progress was being made. How do we know that in the meantime it hasn't been shelved again or if an unfixable hardware problem has been discovered?

1-2 sentences is all it takes. As quickly as it takes me to type this very line.

Quote:
Previously asked people to seek support through their reseller. As I said, I've done that but haven't had a response from them either. I will try again shortly though.

I'll also ask about the clockport model again:

Is the clockport model the same as the X-Surf model minus the perspex cover? Do I need to do anything besides remove the cover?

Cheers,
Chris