English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 14 March 2019, 13:31   #2441
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

CHIPS.

Ugh... I want to like it, but it is just so unfunny most of the time. Yet the way it is filmed it clearly was meant to be funny, a sort of raunchier version of a buddy-cop movie like Lethal Weapon. And I'm pretty much the target audience of this movie: a man-child who likes toilet humor.

There is some sort of story in it too... I think? It's well hidden behind the severe character flaws and weird behaviours of the main anti-heroes that demand extended periods of screen time every few minutes of actual movie progression. It gets so tiresome to basically just see them flop around on screen doing awkward things while everything else grinds to a halt.

Just no.

4/10
Old 18 March 2019, 09:52   #2442
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Equalizer 2. The first movie was really slick; cool Denzel kicking ass, just a really stylistic action-revenge romp.

The second movie is slick in different ways; besides really exceptionally good camera work with some fun Tarentino tricks thrown in, Denzel's character gets a little more depth to him. But unfortunately the movie lacks a good villain; in fact it's a really uninteresting predictable one you spot from the first second they show their face. But what the movie lacks in villains... it more than makes up for in demise of villains, some of the takedowns in the movie are surprisingly graphic and original.

Don't expect a rollercoaster ride, it's a slow burning movie which favours tension and dialogue over action. And that's a good thing, it allows you to really sink into the movie and enjoy all the pretty visuals it presents you in between the moments of Denzel-kick-ass.

7.5/10
Old 18 March 2019, 12:46   #2443
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Game Night (2018)

Would probably compare this to Tag, but this one has better vibe and humor, with somewhat predictable outcome. I think that for movies like this you have to be in mood for something stupid...

6.5 /10
Old 19 March 2019, 20:18   #2444
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Interesting read regarding Captain Marvel / SW 9.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#37c56966be6e
Old 19 March 2019, 23:58   #2445
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah yeah, Disney is getting it's money again and is one step closer to world domination.

First I want to see Vice, Escape Room and Us... damn it's a good time for cinema.
Old 25 March 2019, 13:03   #2446
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The First Purge. Ah yes, the inevitable prequel movie that explains... nothing new. If you've seen the rather dull third entry in the series (the Purge: Election Year), you know exactly what this movie is going to show you.

Unfortunately the writers behind this movie really suck and the way the purge is initiated is just stupendously unrealistic and hammy. One evil politician reporting to a shadow organisation you don't get to see and a scientist (played by the criminally underused Marisa Tomei) basically are responsible for pushing the entire thing through; and they magically have full presidential power. That's no spoiler by the way, the movie basically opens up with that tidbit.

You simply have to ignore the story aspect, it sucks hard. The rest however is quite tasty; the actual purge is all over the place. It has elements of psychological horror, body horror, home invasion horror, comedy, action - it's just snippets of differently styled film strung together. And it works, it's very entertaining. A bit slow at times but the next scene always makes up for it. The masks and outfits in this movie are cooler than ever too.

So yeah - good popcorn flick, but be sure to switch off your brain first.

6.5/10
Old 03 April 2019, 18:15   #2447
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The Circle. A movie about a company that is basically Google, Facebook and Apple smashed into one to create the ultimate house of horrors hiding behind a smile and fake good will. Tom Hanks plays the guy with the smile. What a fatherly creep, he's still got some serious talent to transform into a different person.

Yeah it's a bad movie. Not because it is badly done, but because it just doesn't really go anywhere and has really unrealistic characters and a really unrealistic plot. The way people act in this movie or the way governments just give in to the demands of a single company, it's lunacy.

I'll say one thing for it though: there is an absolutely disgusting scene in it where the main character, a mediocre performance by Emma Watson, is having a public argument with a friend she grew up with whom she has accidentally put into discredit in front of the entire world. They are surrounded by people just holding up their phones and tablets to stream it like a lynch mob that doesn't want to get physical.

I was watching that and I truly felt disgusted, it was so horrible to see happening. And then I realized... I kind of did that myself once or twice, filming someone else's misery.

Never again will I hold up that phone and be that smartphone zombie bystander. Thank you movie, for holding up that mirror. I don't normally approve of movies with a message, but this one cannot be conveyed enough times in these fragile times.

4/10, sucks. But maybe still worth a single watch.
Old 08 April 2019, 23:57   #2448
malko

deepl.com translation (original text in attachment)

Quote:
Marriage between Fox and Disney

MEDIA This is a historic buyout. On Tuesday, the Disney group completed the acquisition of entire parts of Fox Entertainment for $71 billion. The operation allows Mickey's company to get its hands on a wide range of content, from "Simpson" to "X-Men" and "Deadpool" franchises. Disney is expanding its content catalogue to position its Disney Plus streaming service as a direct competitor of Netflix and Amazon's offering. "This is our number one priority," said the boss in February. Disney already owns the "Star Wars" franchise, Pixar Studios and the rights to many Marvel superheroes. -REG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DisneyFox.gif
Views:	15
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	62735  
Old 09 April 2019, 09:18   #2449
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Disney: my childhood happiness and my adulthood nightmare.
Old 14 April 2019, 18:29   #2450
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Alright I was bored and Endgame is right around the corner so I went to see Captain Marvel. Oh my god this has to be the worst movie ever!

... oh wait, no it isn't. It's good. I laughed. Granted most of the actual humoristic bits revolve around the friggin' cat, but still. This slots right into the storyline just fine and wraps up a few loose threads and brings back a few characters from Guardians of the Galaxy. A few years back a solo Fury movie was on the roster but it never went anywhere, this is probably what was left of it as this is as much a Fury movie as it is a Captain Marvel movie - and it is a fantastic addition to the underused character.

If you can ignore the annoying and unnecessary "woman in a man's world" undertones here and there, this is a really solid entry in the lineup. Definitely a step up over the weaker entries such as Black Panther and Ant Man and the Wasp.

7.5/10.
Old 15 April 2019, 19:00   #2451
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I really liked humor in this one... and big part of it is cat...

BTW, you can get cat toy...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 April 2019, 20:43   #2452
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Good god if I manage to get that for the girlie I'll be a hero forever.
Old 16 April 2019, 23:00   #2453
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Recently bought 'Career Opportunities' (1990) on Laserdisc.

First time viewing... but a young Jennifer Connelly rocking on a horse? What's not to like.

Premise goes something like... young kid who can't keep hold of a job gets a job as a night cleaner in Target... meets girl (Connelly) - I won't go into why she is in the store in the first place... insert fun and romantic scenes here... in the latter part we meet two bungling thieves who rob the store...

Fun film and the Laserdisc is actually a pretty good master,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03764.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	62815  
Old 17 April 2019, 19:09   #2454
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

She was recently guest @ Graham Norton, and he found one of her earlier videos that was very popular in Japan. She is in new Top Gun, apparently Kelly McGillis didn't age well enough to be part of new movie...
Old 18 April 2019, 10:30   #2455
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Death Wish 2018

Not terrible, but it's like eating cold french fries without salt. About as MEH as a homage can be.

My only question would be: for whom was this movie made exactly? Fans of the original are going to hate it, fans of Bruce Willis are going to find it boring, fans of action movies are going to make the cold french fries reference.

Nice to see Elisabeth Shue again though, even though it is brief. Still a classic beauty.

5/10
Old 18 April 2019, 11:20   #2456
malko

Destroyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdb.com
A police detective reconnects with people from an undercover assignment in her distant past in order to make peace.
The French poster specifies : "Nicole Kidman as you have never seen her". And that's true : Makeup is beautiful and it's even hard to recognise her. The acting is quite good, the camera moves are good but such movie brings nothing new to a seen and re-seen plot.
Not that I was really tired, but I even felt asleep...
4.8/10
Old 18 April 2019, 14:35   #2457
BullyDog

Elisabeth Shue, beauty forever. The movie is ok but having said that I don't care much for reboots.

Again some reboots was fantastic like The Earth Stood Still and War of the Worlds. Just my opinion.