English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 July 2020, 12:25   #1
ransom1122

Time Soldier - A bit more info

Heyya...

Time Soldier although review scores are quite low was one of many games I keep coming back too. But I've often wondered a few things which may be the cause of me not getting far into the game....

Incoming questions..

1. Does a manual/pdf exist for this game?

2. What do the 4 Bars mean on the bottom left of the screen?

3. What do all the power ups mean & do?

4. What's the purpose of the Time machines? Do you rescue only one comrade per area?

Hopefully I can get to the bottom of understanding this game a bit better...
Old 30 July 2020, 13:20   #2
DamienD
Banned

I'm sure you know this ransom1122, but Time Soldiers is originally an arcade game.

Much better than the Amiga port obviously; and uses a Rotary joystick like "Midnight Resistence", "Heavy Barrel", "Caliber 50" etc.

Here's is some information taken from the MAME "history.dat":

Quote:
- TIPS AND TRICKS -

To accomplish the missions here requires going through time warp machines that appear on all stages. But when you're on a stage where one of your fellow time soldiers who need to be rescued is located, you should avoid entering the time warp machines, otherwise, it'll take longer to complete the missions, as you'll need to access more time machines on other stages until you get back to the specific stage where you need to find the captive. For example, if one of the captive soldiers is located on the Age of Rome stage, remain on that stage until you've reached and defeated the main boss enemy. The captive soldier will then materialize and the game will tell you that 'you destroyed the boss monster and rescued one warrior'. Then, you'll proceed to the next mission to rescue another captive soldier.
Old 30 July 2020, 14:42   #3
Havie

I really like the arcade game but sadly the Amiga port was a shadow of it's former self even if you could forgive the lack of rotary joystick.
Old 30 July 2020, 14:45   #4
ransom1122

Yeah, fully aware its an arcade port... Amiga port has far better music..

How would one know where the captives are held for you to choose to skip a time warp machine?

Anyhow there's more to it, I see each of the 4 power bars drain not sure which one does what?
Old 30 July 2020, 15:30   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
I really like the arcade game but sadly the Amiga port was a shadow of it's former self even if you could forgive the lack of rotary joystick.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
How would one know where the captives are held for you to choose to skip a time warp machine?
I haven't played the Amiga version extensively, are there even time warp gates?

I think this game on the Amiga is way more linear than the Arcade i.e. just go through the stages.

On the Arcade, it tells you where one of your fellow time soldiers who needs rescuing is located i.e "The Primitive Age" for the the 1st one "Sirius". Once you're on that level, the "D-SCANNER" up the top flashes from "pink" to "black" constantly:

...instead of just remaining "pink":

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Anyhow there's more to it, I see each of the 4 power bars drain not sure which one does what?
Ok, I quickly played and worked out what each of the 4 bars in the Amiga version are:

1st bar = Energy
2nd bar = Weapon
3rd bar = Speed
4th bar = Weapon Level Up

Last edited by DamienD; 31 July 2020 at 00:14. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...