English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 05 May 2020, 21:30   #1
digitalwarfare

DevPac Enviroment

I am currently messing with code in Devpac 3. From what I can tell from the manual, the include and fd directory are for OS 2, which is fine, but I have the developers CD's 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3. Am I correct in copying the the includes_i and fd directory found in CD0:NDK/NDK_3.5/Include/Include_i/ to DH1: Devpac/Include and the same for CD0:NDK/NDK_3.5/Include/FD to DH1: Devpac/FD ? Do I replace them directly with NDK_3.5 or do i start with 1.3 and copy them incramentally through to 3.5? If I am going to targate os 3.1, do I use only upto 3.1, or still go up to 3.5? Most people use 3.0 to 3.1 I use OS3.9 on one machine, and 3.1 on another, and 3.1.4 on another. what is the compatibility issues? should I use the LOWEST im going to targate or the highest?
TIA
Reagards
Dave
Old 05 May 2020, 21:55   #2
mcgeezer

Is there a reason you are going with Amiga side development environments?
When I started I used Devpac but quickly found that using VASM was 1000 times faster giving a huge gain in productivity.
Old 05 May 2020, 22:36   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
When I started I used Devpac but quickly found that using VASM was 1000 times faster giving a huge gain in productivity.

What this man says.. And he has a video on youtube showing how to setup using notepad++ and I have updated the language settings for amiga 68k with a lot of the address registers and names etc
Old 05 May 2020, 22:39   #4
digitalwarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Once I get to a better level, Ill use cross assembly, like I do on the speccy, but Im starting from the beginning. I am actually using it under emulation for coding because... Screen resoloutions working on an amiga without RTG would be too much of a nightmare, but devpac seems to be just fine, at the moment
Old 05 May 2020, 22:42   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Me too, and this is the environment I am using.. I restarted last night with amiga asm.. Not a total beginner, but close enough..

Tonights task is to read the HRM and then display an image on a screen. I plan to try this without looking at anything other than the HRM and other books..

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalwarfare View Post
Once I get to a better level, Ill use cross assembly, like I do on the speccy, but Im starting from the beginning. I am actually using it under emulation for coding because... Screen resoloutions working on an amiga without RTG would be too much of a nightmare, but devpac seems to be just fine, at the moment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard Image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	67217  
Old 05 May 2020, 22:51   #6
digitalwarfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
What this man says.. And he has a video on youtube showing how to setup using notepad++ and I have updated the language settings for amiga 68k with a lot of the address registers and names etc
I was watching one of those videos last night. I will be moving to cross assembly, but I'm not doing anything particularly productive at the moment, Just experimenting with code at the moment. Cross assembling just seems an unnecessary step at the moment, while just doing very basic stuff. I do find devpac quite easy to use. But I WILL be watching those videos
Old 06 May 2020, 06:30   #7
Auscoder

Devpac options should allow you to set the include path, would avoid copying over existing includes, rather path it correctly. I have only used 3.1 includes so can’t halo with the later stuff.
Old 06 May 2020, 11:24   #8
phx
Natteravn

Auscoder is right, you can set the default include directory over the menu in Settings -> Assembler -> Control, or Right-Amiga-1. Or use the INCDIR keyword wenn calling genam via the command line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalwarfare View Post
should I use the LOWEST im going to targate or the highest?
Depends on your project. I would either require Kickstart 1.3 and use the 1.3 includes or OS3.1 and use the 3.1 includes. Although 3.9 includes might work as well as long as you don't use anything of the new stuff (which is unlikely).
Old 06 May 2020, 19:11   #9
digitalwarfare

Thanks, Everyone. Some great advice. Especially with vasm. got my devpac env using newer libraries . I have another question, regarding libraries. should I ask it here or start a new thread? Just checking about proper etiquette here, before I make potentially messy threads