English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 February 2014, 22:14   #1
Firestone

Floppy drive motor moving too slow?

Got a problem with one of my floppy disk drives in my A4000.
It's a Chinon FZ-357A.

Problem is that it seems like the motor that is spinning the disk is moving too slow. I have compared it to a similar drive, and the difference is quite noticeable.

Tonight I disassembled the drive completely to have a look at the boards, and it's possible that some of the capacitors may have been leaking and is defective.

But there is one component on the board that I'm wondering about... To me it looks like a fuse, but it's hard to read whats written on it. I think it's "4.00 MF" or something.
Take a look at the picture below: (XTAL1)

Is this a 4.00 Mili Farad capacitor, or what is it?

There seems to be some corrosion on it.
Old 13 February 2014, 00:09   #2
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Xtal1 = Crystal 1

If you put a high density floppy in for testing then yes they spin at half speed.
Old 13 February 2014, 00:44   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

Indeed, so if it spins slow with DD disks, check the DD/HD switch.
Old 13 February 2014, 08:04   #4
pandy71

Slight OT - sorry for that - i see that there is 7474 on board - seem that HD Amiga drives use additional divider by 2 to achieve 150 RPM - is there anywhere available schematics for Chinon FZ-357A?

And i would check HD switch (like demolition says) - perhaps it is corrupted and signaling constantly HD mode i.e. 150 instead 300 RPM
Old 13 February 2014, 13:56   #5
Amiga1992

I would clean the motor spindle thoroughly and lubricate it.
Old 14 February 2014, 14:42   #6
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Im no expert but I would look closely at the capacitors! If they have dull solder pads and the area around them looks a little greasy. You may suddenly get "DF0: ???" for no reason which seems to be the first outright sign something is awol.

I have personally fixed one drive with that problem. Spurred on by somebody on this forum who fixed 3 of their own drives. Dam capacitors seem to be everywhere these days! Even the tiny one's that I was led to believe are no problem.

I have a handfull of Chinon FB's here. Two are in a mess and need working on.
I stupidly sold an HD version a while back! If I had it, I would have opened her up and took some detailed pictures.
Old 15 February 2014, 00:10   #7
Firestone

Thanks everyone!

Of course the slow spinning is caused by the drive beeing av HD-drive! I completely forgot that this drive was a HD-drive! Thanks for noticing!

The motor spinns at "normal" speed when a DD-disk is inserted.
So far so good...

Well.... so today I reassembled the drive, but the sympthoms are the same. Just those three clicks and kickstart screen gets back. (Sound of empty disk).

In my closet I found an old Chinon FZ-357 drive pulled from an old PC.
I opened it and found out that the heads seemed to be the same. So I switched them, but the same problem appears.

Of course, I could modify the drive from the PC to be used as a 880k drive in the Amiga, but it would be cool to get the HD-feature too

I guess there could be a capacitor problem here.... (?)

EDIT:
Reassembled the drive again with the old head again now, and just for fun I tried it, and now it works (?!!). The heads must have got misaligned or something.....

Thanks everyone for helping
Cheers!

Last edited by Firestone; 15 February 2014 at 01:14.
Old 15 February 2014, 16:35   #8
pandy71

Issue with PC drives is that they can have different head, write amplifeir, different timing on reading channel etc - Amiga HD is DD that spin twice slower, PC HD is HD where transfer speed is twice faster to Amiga...

Still not sure how mechanically different is spindle motor for Amiga HD - at least for 150RPM torque expected to produced by normal PC spindle motor can be lower or even to low to revolve in reliable way.
It will be nice to have schematics for both versions or at least good quality pictures for both Chinon versions...
Old 15 February 2014, 17:03   #9
Firestone

I'm into this question too Pandy...
As far as I can see several people have tried to get more information on how to convert standard PC-drives to HD-floppydrives compatible with the Amiga.

Googled differences between the Chinon FZ-357 and FZ-357A and some people says that you're out of luck if the board with the spindle is different than the FZ-357.
And if the board is the same, you are still only able to convert it to a standard 880k drive.

There are probably very few floppydrive-models available as a HD-drive for the Amiga.
I can't remember exactly, but was the A4000 the only model with HD-floppydrives as standard?

Have searched for schematics for the Chinon-drives, but can't find any.

I'm thinking that the drive would be less reliable when writing data at half speed too... Could be comparable to old VCRs where you had this LP (longplay) function that would slow down the tape, and you would get more on every tape, but in the cost of quality.
Not quite the same with floppydrives but.......I guess you get my point....
Old 15 February 2014, 22:05   #10
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Issue with PC drives is that they can have different head, write amplifeir, different timing on reading channel etc - Amiga HD is DD that spin twice slower, PC HD is HD where transfer speed is twice faster to Amiga...

Still not sure how mechanically different is spindle motor for Amiga HD - at least for 150RPM torque expected to produced by normal PC spindle motor can be lower or even to low to revolve in reliable way.
It will be nice to have schematics for both versions or at least good quality pictures for both Chinon versions...
I have both a FB-357A and FB-354 here, I can take some hi-res shots if you like. Highlight what you want to be able to see.
Old 15 February 2014, 23:05   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
As far as I can see several people have tried to get more information on how to convert standard PC-drives to HD-floppydrives compatible with the Amiga.
This is a Sony MPF920-E/131 floppy drive unit which has been converted to operate at 150rpm in high density mode for compatibility with the Amiga.

As you can see, it is not trivial. The key to the conversion is the addition of the PLCC chip, which has been glued to the chassis top-down on the right side of the picture.

A high quality high density floppy drive unit with a diecast chassis is required for this conversion to work. The Sony MPF920-E is one such drive.
Old 15 February 2014, 23:29   #12
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

prowler: whoah, that's so cool. Are there instructions for this mod? I got a couple of this exact model of drives (saved from a lot of recycle-going PCs), I have already coverted two to DD Amiga drives. I would love to test this HD mod on one of those drives. Also nice to know that these are drives of good quality.
Old 15 February 2014, 23:40   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga_CDTV View Post
prowler: whoah, that's so cool. Are there instructions for this mod?
I'm afraid I have no details for that modification, as the drive had already been modified when I bought it (from fitzsteve).

Here is a link to my original post about this drive. See also fitzsteve's reply three posts later.
Old 15 February 2014, 23:51   #14
hese

It's a MicroniK Power M-Disk HD drive with custom GAL code. And the GAL chip is most likely read protected so no duplication is possible.
Old 16 February 2014, 02:07   #15
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
As you can see, it is not trivial.
This is my point on 357A there is 7412 and 7474 thus seem that overall conversion is not so hightech - i have even idea how it works but i be delighted to see schematics or at least hires photos for PCB.
Old 16 February 2014, 02:10   #16
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
This is my point on 357A there is 7412 and 7474 thus seem that overall conversion is not so hightech - i have even idea how it works but i be delighted to see schematics or at least hires photos for PCB.
What do you want highlighted in the pictures Pandy71?
Old 16 February 2014, 14:10   #17
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Perhaps to recreate schematics - really curious that's all.
Need to open my 3000 then...
Old 16 February 2014, 14:18   #18
Loedown

Quote:
What, not why. I will try to grab a few hi res pics tomorrow after I have finished my chores.
Old 18 February 2014, 00:18   #19
pandy71

Quote:
What, not why. I will try to grab a few hi res pics tomorrow after I have finished my chores.
sorry - my fault, i was to quick - most interesting is motor PCB - i want to compare 357 vs 357A ( i assume added circuitry will be responsible for RDY line pattern for DriveID - different for DD and different for HD or perhaps depend from inserted floppy? and for dividing clock by 2 i.e. 4MHz to 2MHz).
Old 18 February 2014, 06:41   #20
Loedown