English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 April 2018, 18:31   #1
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Joyzz - Sega 6 Button Controller (wireless) from Krikzz

Features:
  • Wireless controllers for SEGA Genesis/Megadrive. Can be used with master system as well
  • Low power consumption. Up to 150 hours of gameplay at one charge
  • Power saving mode. Battery discharge time in this mode more than year. If there is no any activity for a few minutes controller switches to power saving mode, after pushing on start or d-pad buttons controller immediately will back to active state.
  • Quick response, no input lags. Response time around 2.7ms
  • Special compatibility mode with genesis 3-buttons and SMS controllers. Some games does not work properly with 6-buttons controllers, but joyzz offer compatibility mode to solve this problem
  • 800mAh li-ion battery compatible with Nokia BL-4C series. Such batteries became the standard and they easy to buy and replace in the end of life time
  • Charging via micro-usb port
Special functions:
1. Force power saving mode: Hold MODE+A+X and then click START
2. Exit from power saving mode: START or any key on D-PAD
3. 3-buttons controller mode: Hold for 3 sec. MODE+START+C. Required for some games which not compatible with 6-buttons controllers. Golden Axe II, for example
4. SMS controller mode: Hold for 3 sec. MODE+START+B. Required for some SMS games which is not compatible with genesis controllers.
5. Switch controller to normal 6-buttons mode: MODE+START+Z
6. Sync controller with receiver: Hold sync button on receiver for 4 sec until led on receiver will start blinking. Hold MODE+X+Y+Z until led went out.
All compatibility modes (combo 3 and 4) will resets to default after power cycle on receiver

Finally Krikzz completed his wireless Sega 6 button controller. The specs and features are really good. Sure, with 65 $ it's not exactly cheap. But he is a crazy perfectionist and i'm pretty sure it's close to the original Sega controller. If the demand is high enough he consider doing a PC adapter and even more controller for other retro systems.

LINK
Old 20 April 2018, 18:37   #2
Akira

This looks like aperfect wireless 6b controller, I would love to test one, the price is indeed steep, but it might be woprth the money.
If only my now 25 year old 6b controller would be broken, I would jump on the chance, but the originals are so well built that, well, this one lasted me a quarter century already.

I really wish he'd make a lower cost wired version of this. I would pay like $35 for it at least.
Old 28 July 2018, 21:08   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Finally got mine today. The first impression is pretty good. Though there are some tiny scratches from the production on the top shell. This shouldn't happen for that price. Materials are pretty much 1:1 we know from the original MD 6 button controller. The d-pad is a bit stiffer but not uncomfortable.

Works perfectly fine on my PAL MD. No lag at all.

On the C64 and Amiga though it doesn't work out of the box. I don't know why, despite the fact that Krikkz said it should work on other machines with DB9 port.

BUT: If i connect the 64JPX adapter first and then plug the Joyzz receiver it works on the C64 and Amiga. But of course you lose the second Amiga button, this adapter was designed for the C64 and other 1-Button computers. Maybe this is fixable with later firmware for the Joyzz. Who knows.

Also tried my Retro-Bit Mega Drive to USB adapter. Works perfectly fine too. Emulation is no problem with the Joyzz. Krikkz also said that he will release a PC USB receiver later.

So, is it recommendable? Despite the steep price? I think it is, if you like the original Sega 6 Button controller.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 28 July 2018 at 21:37.
Old 28 July 2018, 22:23   #4
-Acid-

65 euros to remove a wire? no thanks i can live with it.