English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 21 March 2008, 14:05   #41
TodaysForgotten

I'm very competitive by nature, but when i teased biscuit during pinball fantasies and he took 2nd, i really could have cared less. But, the "egging" on added fun to it. Id love to get first in every game, but if I dont, oh well. I certainly will try to top or topple a score when someone beats mine though.

There will be players or games where there will be that competitive drive as we have going now in Jump N Roll. But at the end of the day it is all in fun, whether competitive, casual or hardcore.
Old 21 March 2008, 17:27   #42
Graham Humphrey

Yep. I'm very competitive too though I'm sure that's clear. At the end of the day though if I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't bother - the fun of it is the primary reason why I take part and run the thing, but I do push myself to do better as well, and I think it probably makes me a better player.
Old 16 June 2008, 20:12   #43
Amiga1992

Where's the BBS scoreboard?
Are we pwning Lameon or not?

oh shit just found it.
I will participate! Score needs to be reverted.
Old 16 June 2008, 20:28   #44
Graham Humphrey

Welcome aboard

Those Lemon guys have had it too easy for too long, so yes, action needs to be taken
Old 16 June 2008, 20:38   #45
Amiga1992

They hate me and so do I so let's throw some heat into the competition...
Old 17 June 2008, 00:04   #46
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Old 17 June 2008, 04:24   #47
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Old 17 June 2008, 09:41   #48
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
They hate me and so do I [...]
Why do you hate yourself?
Old 05 November 2008, 00:07   #49
Graham Humphrey

It's a Knockout!

Yes - the nation demanded it (well, TCD did anyway ), so here we are, the almost totally finished and final rules for our shiny new knockout (surprise!) competition...

Voting

The voting for the tournament runs for two weeks, from November 16 to 29. The voting format is exactly the same (i.e. vote for five games, same points system and stuff), except no-one gets double-voting power and you can only vote for the 15 games played in this year's competition. When voting finishes, the points are counted up in the same way, except instead of the top game being played, the top five are used for the tournament (or four if we only end up playing four rounds; see later).

So, here's the structure for the actual tournament...

December 7 - 20: The qualifying round - this is a free-for-all round played in exactly the same way as a "regular" league round, except of course it only lasts two weeks, and at the end of it only a certain number of players qualify for the next stage. The game that finishes top of the voting gets played here. How many depends on the amount of entrants but it can only be between 8 and 16:

Between 9-13 people enter: 8 people qualify.
Between 14-17 people enter: 12 people qualify.
18+ people enter: 16 people qualify.

The remaining rounds would last a week each, except if only eight people qualify, in that case the first round would last for two weeks with the others lasting a week.

So here's what we'd do as far as drawing people against each other is concerned:

Eight people: Just a random draw, head-to-head every round. No point seeding a draw with so few people.

12 people: The players are drawn into 4 groups of 3, (seeded so each group would contain one player who finished 1st-3rd, 4th-6th, 7th-9th and 10th-12th), with the top two in each group advancing to the quarter-finals (straight knockout, seeded so group winners can only play group runners-up - the highest-scoring winner plays the lowest-scoring runner-up, etc), and unseeded after that.

16 people: The players are drawn into 4 groups of 4, again seeded so each group contains one player who ranked 1st-4th, 5th-8th, 9th-12th, 13th-16th. Top two qualify for the quarter-finals, where again the group winners can only play the runners-up (same as above), and unseeded after that.

So with more than eight players, the schedule would be:

December 21 - 27: Round 1 - the second-placed game in the vote gets played

December 28 - January 3: Quarter-Finals - the third-placed game gets played

January 4 - 10: Semi-Finals - the fourth-placed game gets played

January 11 - 17: Third/Fourth-place Play-off and Final - the fifth-placed game gets played.

If there is only eight players, the last two rounds are the same but the first round will run from December 21 to January 3, and of course only the first four games in the vote will be played.

And one more thing with regards to the voting: if you go for Pinball Fantasies, please state what table you want to play (only Partyland or Speed Devils - the other two are too unreliable). The one with the most votes will be played. For Lotus III, timer mode will be used and please vote for one difficulty level you want to play - again, the same applies. We won't do all of them for both these games due to the time constraints.

Any questions, comments etc - please shove them up your... er, I mean by all means post them here and any remarks will be gratefully received
Old 05 November 2008, 06:38   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Any questions, comments etc - please shove them up your... er, I mean by all means post them here and any remarks will be gratefully received
Okay I keep it short and sweet for you : Thanks and let's bring it on
Old 05 November 2008, 07:09   #51
cane

Thanks Graham. Yupiiii, qualifying and knock out rounds - sounds nice

Just one question regarding knock out stage and maybe also for qualifying. I think it would be unfair if your opponent in knock out stage posts his score in last few hour's or something like that. My concern is that we don't end up with competition that's going to be solved in dying moments...
Old 05 November 2008, 07:50   #52
Graham Humphrey

@TCD: Thanks!

@cane: Indeed, that could potentially be a problem but that's not something we can do much about, other than hope everyone plays it in the right spirit. Bascially similar to how we do now. We don't have many problems with this sort of thing so fingers crossed that carries on.