English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 February 2018, 23:18   #1
Cyber Akuma

Install of Workbench 3.1 Keeps failing on last disk

I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I followed the steps starting here to configure WinUAE and install Workbench:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/help/tutorial_1/4.php

I tried creating both a config that follows those settings exactly and an "overpowered" version.

However, when I attempt to install, I get the same error (though sometimes differently worded) on the last disk about it failing to copy a file:

https://i.imgur.com/accaTj1.png

https://i.imgur.com/exckxD3.png

I tried changing various settings I could think of that could effect it, including checking the "Limit directories to 1GB" option, and it didn't work.

I tried a different set of disks in case mine were faulty, didn't work.

I tried moving the "system" drive folder to one without spaces on the root of my drive, in case either the file path was too long or the spaces were messing with it... didn't work.

I even tried creating a folder on the root of my OS drive in case for some reason my storage drive I was running off of was incompatible with the emulator since it's a 8TB raid.... same error.

Nothing I have tried seems to change anything, I always get the same error and always on the last disk, the storage disk.

Anyone have any idea why?

Old 16 February 2018, 00:22   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

Try using THIS Installer
Old 16 February 2018, 04:30   #3
Cyber Akuma

Apparently, the issue is that Workbench is attempting to write a file called AUX, and that is one of the reserved filenames you can't use in DOS/Windows.

I was told that WinUAE is supposed to auto-convert such files, but for some reason it's failing to do it for this file, anyone have any idea why?

Old 16 February 2018, 05:20   #4
emufan

do not use a folder on your host system, use a hardfile for the amiga boot partition.
here are some HDFs ( ffs and pfs ) you should use instead.
Old 16 February 2018, 06:19   #5
Cyber Akuma

But apparently you are supposed to be able to, any idea why it's not converting the filename?

I don't want to use pre-prepared/installed stuff, I want to use it as if I was setting up a real Amiga system from the start.

Old 16 February 2018, 06:33   #6
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma View Post
But apparently you are supposed to be able to, any idea why it's not converting the filename?
I cannot explain this, maybe it's some sort of special case, the translation doesnt work.
Quote:
I don't want to use pre-prepared/installed stuff, I want to use it as if I was setting up a real Amiga system from the start.
it's not "pre-installed" - the HDFs are empty, they are prepared in the way,
you insert/add them in the emulator and they work.
no need to use HDSetup tools and stuff, just add them and you can use them,
filesystem is pre-installed, so you do not have to cope with that procedure.
Old 16 February 2018, 08:47   #7
Foebane
Banned

I 100% repeat what emufan says, HDFs are the best way to create Amiga hard drives, as using a folder on your host PC as a drive will only cause, for example, filename conflicts between WB and the host operating system, like extracting .lha archives, for a start. The latter is best done onto an HDF.

Simple HDFs that don't require preparation will do, and afterwards, you can move onto the more versatile RDB mode and Dynamic HDFs, which allow for more extensive and faster use whilst keeping the file size small, and whilst they involve a bit of preparation with WB's HDToolBox, you can always do that another time once you've got your install up and running. And migrating your installation of WB from one type of hard drive file to a better one is as easy as a "copy all" command.
Old 16 February 2018, 08:55   #8
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Apparently, the issue is that Workbench is attempting to write a file called AUX, and that is one of the reserved filenames you can't use in DOS/Windows.
Wow, I just tried that in Windows 10. It didn't work, neither as a file or folder. I did not know that certain words were not allowed in Windows, I thought it was simply certain characters that couldn't be, like " < > \ * and so on. You learn something new every day!
Old 16 February 2018, 18:20   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Lots of misinformation here... Directory filesystem works just fine, you need to include reproducible test case! (Usually "problem" is unpacking outside of emulation. Don't do it!)

Second. This is just a stupid bug, "special" name handling was improved in 3.6.0 but for some reason I forgot to handle situation where special file name file was created, only when it already existed..

3.5.0 works fine, next beta will also fix it.
Old 16 February 2018, 18:29   #10
Saghalie

Quote:
I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I followed the steps starting here to configure WinUAE and install Workbench:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/help/tutorial_1/4.php

I tried creating both a config that follows those settings exactly and an "overpowered" version.

However, when I attempt to install, I get the same error (though sometimes differently worded) on the last disk about it failing to copy a file:

https://i.imgur.com/accaTj1.png

https://i.imgur.com/exckxD3.png

I tried changing various settings I could think of that could effect it, including checking the "Limit directories to 1GB" option, and it didn't work.

I tried a different set of disks in case mine were faulty, didn't work.

I tried moving the "system" drive folder to one without spaces on the root of my drive, in case either the file path was too long or the spaces were messing with it... didn't work.

I even tried creating a folder on the root of my OS drive in case for some reason my storage drive I was running off of was incompatible with the emulator since it's a 8TB raid.... same error.

Nothing I have tried seems to change anything, I always get the same error and always on the last disk, the storage disk.

Anyone have any idea why?
I followed the instructions from Lemon Amiga site with the url you provided
as much as possible since it's an old version of WinUAE that it is using.

I had no issues installing Workbench 3.1 - well I did have one problem that
the installer reported and it was that the disk was too small to copy FONTS to the system disk. But I was able to copy the fonts to the disk after the install completed.

My configuration was exactly like the Lemon Amiga with the exception that I used a QuickStart configuration and edited it to match Lemon Amiga.

The QuickStart I used was A1200 w/4mb fast RAM expanded.

The Host Configuration was:
Host\FullwindowD3D.uae

And my computer has Windows 10 Enterprise installed.
Old 16 February 2018, 19:46   #11
Cyber Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
it's not "pre-installed" - the HDFs are empty, they are prepared in the way,
you insert/add them in the emulator and they work.
I see. How do you even create a blank HDF anyway? I tried and was not able to find much information on how to, I wouldn't want to have to rely on pre-made images of set sizes and formatting.

Regardless though, I would like to get directory mode working and figure out why it's not renaming the file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Wow, I just tried that in Windows 10. It didn't work, neither as a file or folder. I did not know that certain words were not allowed in Windows, I thought it was simply certain characters that couldn't be, like " < > \ * and so on. You learn something new every day!
Yeah, there are several filenames that are "reserved" since the DOS era hat you can't create:

http://kizu514.com/blog/forbidden-fi...on-windows-10/

I remember trying to access "c:\con\con" in the Windows98 days could cause a BSOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Lots of misinformation here... Directory filesystem works just fine, you need to include reproducible test case! (Usually "problem" is unpacking outside of emulation. Don't do it!)

Second. This is just a stupid bug, "special" name handling was improved in 3.6.0 but for some reason I forgot to handle situation where special file name file was created, only when it already existed..

3.5.0 works fine, next beta will also fix it.
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting a reply from the author! Thank You for responding!

So it's just a bug in this version then? Confused how a friend claimed they were able to install it, but regardless, I can just wait for the next beta like you mentioned then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saghalie View Post
I followed the instructions from Lemon Amiga site with the url you provided
as much as possible since it's an old version of WinUAE that it is using.

I had no issues installing Workbench 3.1 - well I did have one problem that
the installer reported and it was that the disk was too small to copy FONTS to the system disk. But I was able to copy the fonts to the disk after the install completed.

My configuration was exactly like the Lemon Amiga with the exception that I used a QuickStart configuration and edited it to match Lemon Amiga.

The QuickStart I used was A1200 w/4mb fast RAM expanded.

The Host Configuration was:
Host\FullwindowD3D.uae

And my computer has Windows 10 Enterprise installed.
Huh, that's really confusing then, what am I doing wrong that is causing the renaming to fail when it's working for everyone else...

Old 16 February 2018, 20:04   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I see. How do you even create a blank HDF anyway? I tried and was not able to find much information on how to, I wouldn't want to have to rely on pre-made images of set sizes and formatting.
Creating HardFile is simple, look at my old video, it's in Italian but it's still intuitive

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 February 2018, 21:01   #13
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
using a folder on your host PC as a drive will only cause, for example, filename conflicts between WB and the host operating system, like extracting .lha archives, for a start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
(Usually "problem" is unpacking outside of emulation. Don't do it!)
Sorry, what I meant to say was that I used to extract .lha archives on the Windows side (using a tool like 7-Zip) into such a folder being used as an Amiga drive, and of course, it wouldn't work, as the filenames had changed due to differences in code pages - that's what I meant by the above statement, and as you quite correctly say above, Toni.

But ever since I've simply placed the archive files into the drive and extracted them on the Amiga side with the proper Amiga extraction tools into Amiga HDFs, everything has been just fine.
Old 18 February 2018, 02:40   #14
Saghalie

Quote:
I see. How do you even create a blank HDF anyway?
1. Open WinUAE
2. Load your configuration (or just go to #3)
3. Click CD & Hard Drives
4. Click Add Hardfile...
5. In the "New Harddisk image file" section add the size of the new hard file (in MB - e.g. 20).
6. Click OK
7. Name and save your file - and don't forget where you saved it to.

There are other selections there you can use as well. But just follow the
steps for a working .hdf file.

The biggest problem is forgetting where you saved your new HDF. So
either REMEMBER where you put it or write it down.

Quote:
Huh, that's really confusing then, what am I doing wrong that is causing the renaming to fail when it's working for everyone else...
Can you upload your configuration files with a log? The log will help Toni and the other programmers troubleshoot and the config you are using will help the rest of us see
what you are doing to give us a better handle on the issue.

Hope this helps

EDIT: Just saw AMIGASYSTEM's post. Sorry

Last edited by Saghalie; 18 February 2018 at 02:49. Reason: oops