English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 March 2004, 14:23   #1
Bloodwych

Zero footprint PC's do have one good use

Know what EABers, I miss the times of the almighty all in one desktop computer.

You know the style, C64, Amiga, ST, CPC464. The good old days where you'd treat your keyboard with respect because spilling crap over it could mean machine death.

In fact, I'm so sick of not ever being likely to see a new non-PC all-in-one desktop ever again, that I'm even considering building a retro emulation machine out of this.

Yes, it's the infamous zero footprint PC. The makers tried to make out it was revolutionary at the time, but we slagged them off for their ridiculous comments in a previous thread.

These machines really do have little use around food and drink, lack upgrade paths and hit the wallet - just like the good old days!!!!

I'm seriously considering buying one of these purely as a retro emulation box. After all, it wouldn't need upgrading, as the highest machine I want to emulate is the last of the non-CD/DVD breed - the N64. Imagine using this for mame, running WinUAE ect ect - it'll be fantastic and about as close to old school as you could get. Wonder if TV out is available for it???? That would be perfect.
Old 25 March 2004, 15:21   #2
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Sounds cool Bloodwych. Good luck, and tell us how it goes!
Old 25 March 2004, 15:58   #3
Bloodwych

I certainly will! It's actually a similar price to the original A500 on its release - now I know what my parents felt like shelling out a cool £400. Better wash my hands each time before using it, no eating whilst typing on this beast!

I actually built a retro box out of a cheap out of date celeron/PIII SFF cube case I bought off e-bay and spare PC parts lying around the joint. Then a mate of my came around, got all nostalgic playing on the thing and bought it off me for a tidy profit. It really was an offer I couldn't refuse even though I had no intentions of selling it!

This ZFPC would look great lined up right next to my A1200 and networked using it's PCMCIA ethernet card.
Old 25 March 2004, 18:32   #4
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Seems to have a TV out too - I got its specs here
Got to admit that its v tempting to plumb for this instead of a modded X Box
Old 25 March 2004, 20:01   #5
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
Wow pricey, but worth it i guess..

You can get a 2.6gig laptop for 200 more! that goes anywhere!! but oh my gosh that thing looks gorgeous!!

Whoa if the cheapest one is 475 with only 1.7 gig and 128mb ram

You will definatley definately need at least another 128mb - if win2k is just about okay on 128, xp will be ridiculous!!

at ebuyer.com

128MB ddr 333 is only £13.50
256 is £22.99

I do wonder how well that sis chipset will do opengl n64 but its probably okay!!

EDIT: OH MY GOODNESS, Okay changed it from basics to the stuff youd need - $1200 something!!

If seen a nice all-in-one black thing (similair to an imac but with a nice tft instead, and smaller) on ebuyer for about 400.. cant seem to find it atm..

Last edited by Mojo; 25 March 2004 at 20:11.
Old 25 March 2004, 20:32   #6
Bloodwych

That first link does a model for £329 + VAT. So like I said, the same price as an Amiga back in the day. Considering inflation, even the more expensive model is on par with old school Amiga prices.

Incredible how cheap standard PC tech is in comparison to this these days. This is a reminder of how expensive custom computers used to be back in the late eighties!

Still, they are well overpriced, especially when you consider you can get a shuttle Nforce 2 SFF with a top of the range Athlon XP, 3000+ DDR etc for less using mainly standard parts. You can also build an ITX custom PC in a very cool looking case for less if you don’t mind having a separate keyboard. Just do a search for “ITX Flex” in google to see what I mean!

That's the price you pay for going none mainstream I guess. The modded X-Box is definitely much cheaper in many ways and has a huge scene going for it.

It's just this thing has SOOO much old school appeal. I mean just look at the pic below. It could almost be a modern A1200 inside. The RAM in the same position as the Amiga trapdoor, the CPU position, disk drive, expansion slot on the left. OLD SCHOOL.

But is it worth it? Hmmmmmmmmm. Probably not, but I may still get one at some point. Don’t like Laptops.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 25 March 2004 at 20:45.
Old 25 March 2004, 20:33   #7
Bloodwych

Forgot the pic:

And oh yeah, no XP or 2K for me mojo. Win ME all the way baby!!! (or 98). :eek It looks like it takes cheap standard mem.

It wouldn't be taking over my main PC, only acting as a retrobox/backup machine so it doesn't need great specs- Just needs the look. And it's got the look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image7.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	6613  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 25 March 2004 at 20:39.
Old 25 March 2004, 21:53   #8
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

hehe like the layout...I can see why its attractive in a retro way

ah but not all emus have been ported to the X-Box Bloodwych...

Perhaps the shuttle or ITX is the route to go, you can stick it behind the big TV and could then use a remote keyboard and mouse.
Old 25 March 2004, 22:11   #9
Bloodwych

This is when I need the girlfriend to step in and stop my craziness!

SFF do rock, but have a good read and LONG surf before deciding what to go for. Aria can be good for comments and have a special on the SK43G (£116 inc VAT) <-EDIT: They've just changed this to the SN45G for the same price! Wonder if they're clearing them out for new models?

The forums over at sudhian.com are good, but it appears the ITX SFF Shuttle can be a little crap when it comes to quality standards and customer care. Many over there are happy with their systems however.

The new MSI looks awesome (see below) for a front room entertainment box, however I'd still wait for peoples opinions first.

As for ITX, not too many stand alone motherboards. I've seen one for P4 and the rest are built in via CPU efforts. Some of the cases you can use look nice though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	msi_mega180.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	6615  

Last edited by Bloodwych; 25 March 2004 at 23:33.
Old 25 March 2004, 23:40   #10
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Better wash my hands each time before using it, no eating whilst typing on this beast!
Well, you can get a keyboard skin for it...
I had one for my A500 back in the day

I think I saw on one of the modding sites, someone putting a mini ITX into an A500 or A1200 case?
Old 26 March 2004, 10:36   #11
Big-Byte
Long time member

One advantage that the xbox does have over the other 'retro' emulation options is its accessability to non techie people.. Anyone can just press the on button and choose a game from the menu.. Even my gf knows how to use most the games/utils on it
Old 26 March 2004, 12:00   #12
RetroMan

You can btw. buy that exact same Computer as MSXPC from ASCII with a MSX Emu running on it

-> https://ssl.ascii-store.com/corner/msx.cgi