English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 26 July 2013, 22:26   #1
Goldrunner

Launching single WHDLoad games from the Player

When I got Amiga Forever I was very impressed with the Player that launches games. It's a breeze to install new ADF, IPF, and HDF images for one a click launching. However, a lot more difficult is doing the same with WHDLoad installed games. Sure you can add them all to the Workbench partition and launch from there, but that not the way the player is supposed to be used when adding and playing game.

After trying numerious ways I came up with a simple solution for adding WHDLoad games to the player. First step was to make a copy of Workbench 3.1 and and call it something like WHDLoad-Workench, every WHDLoad game will be using this so make sure you set it up externally. Now create a 10 or 20mb hard drive and call it something like WHDLoad-GameName, this one has to be embedded. If you use KillerGorilla's Preinstalled packs then simply extract one of those games to the embedded hard-drive. Since we cannot be specific on the external hard-drive (since it cannot change) a generic script needs creating that launches the game on the embedded hard-drive when booted.

Using this method the rp9 files created for every game listed in the player will be virtually the same size as the original WHDLoad game. I probably haven't explained it too well, if you need step by step instructions then please let me know.
Old 27 July 2013, 09:37   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I know it's not AF, but with the launcher included in FS-UAE you can simply mount the zip or lha for the preinstalled WHDLoad game as a harddrive and it'll work. Of course you can use your key if you have one.