English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 19 May 2012, 12:54   #81
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

pygame is used because wxPython's joystick support is not good enough. However, pygame is not really meant to be used together with wxPython, so this "solution" for the joystick config tool is quite hackish..

By initializing pygame earlier, it seems to work on Mac also, though there is still an extra menu entry and some warnings. Should make a better solution sometime...

So try this updated Mac version, at least it works on my Mac laptop:
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...-macosx.tar.gz

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 19 May 2012 at 22:47. Reason: fixed link
Old 19 May 2012, 13:23   #82
Philantrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Version 1.3.9:
  • (Launcher) Function to scan for kickstarts, and automatically select kickstart based on Amiga model.
The launcher is becoming nicer and nicer, thanks! One thing is missing for me, though: I'm not using the standard directories (due to sharing ROMs, state dirs, etc.) and, thus, the launcher currently can't find any Kickstart ROMs.
It would be great if there was a launcher configuration option for all the paths.

Quote:
Links to distributons including the launcher are now added to the download page.
I'd be grateful if you could add Exherbo Linux (which I'm packaging fs-uae for) using the link http://summer.exherbo.org/packages/a...lation/fs-uae/. The launcher (and server) are optionally included, of course.
Old 19 May 2012, 14:22   #83
nexusle
Banned

Hey Frode!!

Still missing the EJECT function for CDROM
Old 19 May 2012, 15:59   #84
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
The launcher is becoming nicer and nicer, thanks! One thing is missing for me, though: I'm not using the standard directories (due to sharing ROMs, state dirs, etc.) and, thus, the launcher currently can't find any Kickstart ROMs.
It would be great if there was a launcher configuration option for all the paths.
Yes, I will eventually create the settings dialog to contain such settings -but for now, since you are using Linux, you can symlink in the Kickstarts dir (and the other directories) and achieve the same that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
I'd be grateful if you could add Exherbo Linux (which I'm packaging fs-uae for) using the link http://summer.exherbo.org/packages/a...lation/fs-uae/. The launcher (and server) are optionally included, of course.
Never heard of Exherbo Linux before -I have added a link under "Other Linux Distributions"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Hey Frode!! Still missing the EJECT function for CDROM
Uhm, yes. I actually created it when I did eject for floppies, but I disabled it because ejecting CD-ROMs made the filesys subsystem crash... -So I'll have to debug a bit first
Old 19 May 2012, 18:26   #85
yesplease

Launcher now scans automatically for kickstarts. This is not working for me. If I press start, it tells me to first select kickstart. If I press scan an empty window opens with another scan button on the bottom. When I press that button it says that it found my kickstarts. When I press start to start up fs use it says again, no kickstarts selected. Weird isn't it ?

The Launcher version before it lets me manually select the kickstart, I liked it much better. In fact I have an ADF, which only works with kickstart1.2, when I throw kickstart1.3 at it, amiga os will give me a red guru meditation. The automatic if it would work at least, would not know about the special need of the game-disk, right?

Frode the best would be to put the select boxes for kickstart selection back into the launcher together with the scan automatic. So you might auto scan and alter it to your needs.

OSX 10.7.4
Old 19 May 2012, 18:47   #86
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplease View Post
Launcher now scans automatically for kickstarts. This is not working for me. If I press start, it tells me to first select kickstart. If I press scan an empty window opens with another scan button on the bottom. When I press that button it says that it found my kickstarts. When I press start to start up fs use it says again, no kickstarts selected. Weird isn't it ?

The Launcher version before it lets me manually select the kickstart, I liked it much better. In fact I have an ADF, which only works with kickstart1.2, when I throw kickstart1.3 at it, amiga os will give me a red guru meditation. The automatic if it would work at least, would not know about the special need of the game-disk, right?

Frode the best would be to put the select boxes for kickstart selection back into the launcher together with the scan automatic. So you might auto scan and alter it to your needs.
Don't worry, manual kickstart selection will reappear in a new dialog opened by the "More..." button under the Amiga Hardware section The reason for the new automatic feature is for simplicity when changing Amiga model, and to help less experienced users not do stupid things

The reason the automatic selection feature does not work for you is probably because you don't have one of these kickstarts (using A500 as example here), which are the ones the automatic selection will accept (SHA-1 checksums):

Code:
# KS ROM v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000)
"891e9a547772fe0c6c19b610baf8bc4ea7fcb785",
# Amiga Forever 2008
"efe90998855c3736b000480155eefbc5e4fc508d",
# Amiga Forever 2010
"b9b2c4a31ccb5df424c006b4a97321dc65143e1e",
The scan window now lists the files it found, but not whether the ROMs are "accepted". The scan window will later indicate what known kickstarts were found.

Btw, just for fun, what ADF do you have which requires KS 1.2?

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 19 May 2012 at 18:59.
Old 19 May 2012, 21:36   #87
yesplease

Thank you Frode. Joystick konfigurator dont work, even not in u1 version. Thankful your Dan.
Old 19 May 2012, 21:51   #88
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Joystick konfigurator dont work, even not in u1 version.
Hi, how does it not work? Crashes? Doesn't do anything? Does something, but the end result does not work in FS-UAE, etc..?
Old 19 May 2012, 22:04   #89
yesplease

Uh, its like prof luigi described it, then you posted the fix with the special u1 version . I tried both , they have the same identical behavoiur. Which is, nothing special happend, just the menu went crazy.

What is suppose to happen after click on the configurator button?

About the adf, i sent you a pm.

Last edited by yesplease; 19 May 2012 at 22:27.
Old 19 May 2012, 22:48   #90
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Uh, its like prof luigi described it, then you posted the fix with the special u1 version . I tried both , they have the same identical behavoiur. Which is, nothing special happend, just the menu went crazy.
Argh, just stupid: when I posted the link, the u1 was only changed in the link text, not in the URL. Please try this one (updated the original post as well)
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...-macosx.tar.gz

That is, the downloaded file should be named fs-uae-plus-1.3.9u1-macosx.tar.gz!
Old 19 May 2012, 22:57   #91
yesplease

Thank you frode, will try out that puppy tomorrow morning
Old 20 May 2012, 10:56   #92
ProfDrLuigi

Send a message via ICQ to ProfDrLuigi
Tested it. The Menu went little crazy as before but the joystick tool starts and i kann assign the buttons of my comp. pro usb.
Old 20 May 2012, 15:54   #93
yesplease

yes now it works, brilliant !!!
Old 20 May 2012, 15:58   #94
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfDrLuigi View Post
Tested it. The Menu went little crazy as before but the joystick tool starts and i kann assign the buttons of my comp. pro usb.
Quote:
yes now it works, brilliant !!!
Good! -It will remain a bit schizophrenic on Mac (the double menu entry) for now, as long as it otherwise works fine
Old 20 May 2012, 19:43   #95
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

@Frode:

I have two questions about the FS-UAE launcher (Windows version):

-It requires Python, i'm right? (i don't use the FS-UAE installer but the zip archive)
-When a game has been started, it's not currently possible to switch to full screen (alt+tab) or to access the usual FS-UAE menu. Is it a normal behavior? The keyboard doesn't seem to work either (emulated joystick).

I've noticed the same issues with two different computers.

One suggestion: a way to save all settings to a file

Thanks
Old 20 May 2012, 19:58   #96
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaOnline View Post
@Frode:
I have two questions about the FS-UAE launcher (Windows version):

-It requires Python, i'm right? (i don't use the FS-UAE installer but the zip archive)

Yes and no . The launcher is written in Python, but Python is also included in the zip file (and installer), so it is not necessary (or helpful) to install Python separately. The same applies to the Mac version.

Quote:
-When a game has been started, it's not currently possible to switch to full screen (alt+tab) or to access the usual FS-UAE menu. Is it a normal behavior? The keyboard doesn't seem to work either (emulated joystick).

I've noticed the same issues with two different computers.
So it works when running FS-UAE standalone, but not when started via the launcher? That's strange.. -I'll have to test on a Windows computer and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Quote:
One suggestion: a way to save all settings to a file
Thanks
It will soon be able to load/save and browse configurations
Old 20 May 2012, 20:16   #97
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Yes and no . The launcher is written in Python, but Python is also included in the zip file (and installer), so it is not necessary (or helpful) to install Python separately. The same applies to the Mac version.
I've started the launcher (without Python) and it didn't work properly ("incorrect configuration error, please reinstall the application"). Problem fixed by installing Python 2.7. I can try to reproduce the issue if you need more infos

Quote:
So it works when running FS-UAE standalone, but not when started via the launcher? That's strange.. -I'll have to test on a Windows computer and see if I can reproduce the problem.
I thought it was a problem with my (beloved ) Intel GMA, but the issues are the same using another computer (Windows XP/SP3 system). It's not possible to resize the window either (=> white screen).

Quote:
It will soon be able to load/save and browse configurations
Cool!
Old 20 May 2012, 20:43   #98
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I've started the launcher (without Python) and it didn't work properly ("incorrect configuration error, please reinstall the application"). Problem fixed by installing Python 2.7. I can try to reproduce the issue if you need more infos
Current theory: it did not work because the required Visual Studio runtime was not installed, and when you installed Python 2.7, vcredist was properly installed. If this theory is correct, you should be able to uninstall Python and it still works...

Here is the link to the installer for the Visual Studio C/C++ runtime (restributable files):
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/vcredist_x86.exe
(also added to FS-UAE download page).

Quote:
I thought it was a problem with my (beloved ) Intel GMA, but the issues are the same using another computer (Windows XP/SP3 system). It's not possible to resize the window either (=> white screen).
Weird, but I was not able to reproduce this on my Windows 7 laptop, nor in a virtual machine with Windows XP... -Anyone else having this problem?
Old 20 May 2012, 20:56   #99
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
Current theory: it did not work because the required Visual Studio runtime was not installed, and when you installed Python 2.7, vcredist was properly installed. If this theory is correct, you should be able to uninstall Python and it still works...

Here is the link to the installer for the Visual Studio C/C++ runtime (restributable files):
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/vcredist_x86.exe
(also added to FS-UAE download page).
You're probably right Will confirm asap

Quote:
Weird, but I was not able to reproduce this on my Windows 7 laptop, nor in a virtual machine with Windows XP... -Anyone else having this problem?
You're lucky, i can try with a third computer
Old 20 May 2012, 21:06   #100
AmigaOnline
Online Amiga Gaming

Quote:
You're probably right Will confirm asap
Same problem with the two computers (i've uninstalled Python)

Error: "The Application has failed to start because incorrect configuration. Reinstalling the application may fix it"