English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 January 2012, 20:09   #1
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

Atari crackdown

Atari had sent a letter to The Emulator zone to remove all Atari related products and emulators from thier website. This is in respose to the US planning to introduce SOPA bill (S)top (O)nline (P)iracy (A)ct

This means that future generations will not be able to experiance retro gaming. Due to this ridiculous move. All of the retro community are going to find that our work on Preservation and enjoyment is nearing the end.

Well done Atari, Although looking back they did produce a crap computer anyway. I am not going to miss it. although the Amiga community could be next...
Old 08 January 2012, 21:58   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Someone should remove also http://hol.abime.net/2165 ! Or crappy ST ports.
Old 08 January 2012, 22:11   #3
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafDaz View Post
This means that future generations will not be able to experiance retro gaming. Due to this ridiculous move. All of the retro community are going to find that our work on Preservation and enjoyment is nearing the end.
It's all still on BitTorrent. And Usenet.

Quote:
although the Amiga community could be next...
Not likely. Atari is a massive company. Commodore is a dude in a shed making generic PCs.
Old 08 January 2012, 22:24   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
It's all still on BitTorrent. And Usenet.

Not likely. Atari is a massive company. Commodore is a dude in a shed making generic PCs.
Not quite. Atari is simply Infogrammes/Ocean with a different name!

Ocean and Infogrammes merged, and then they bought the rights to use the Atari name and Atari software back catalogue.

They however have ZERO claim on the old OS's and machines, and are deluded if they think otherwise.

The trademark for the original 2600 expired quite some time ago, and the rest of the XE series are about to expire.

its simply a case of Infogrammes sending blanket cease and desist to anyone using Atari in the webpages because they assumed that it was to do with their modern games catalogue, and didn't figure a shit load of people might still be harbouring feelings for the past machines, because they are oppresively stupid!

Theres nothing illegal with the emulators, nothing remotely illegal about the rom being included as far as Atari are considered, because Atari Inc (Infogrammes) doesn't hold the copyright on them.
Old 08 January 2012, 23:08   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

If you read or search for ppsberlin you will see they are in fact referring to the old software and emulators for machines such as the 130 xe.

I imagine some overzealous law school graduate has just been hired somewhere along the line.

They have already appologised to the pps guy.
Old 08 January 2012, 23:08   #6
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Theres nothing illegal with the emulators, nothing remotely illegal about the rom being included as far as Atari are considered, because Atari Inc (Infogrammes) doesn't hold the copyright on them.
Although Atari are counting on the fact that some people dont know that.
Old 08 January 2012, 23:16   #7
DeafDaz
Deafdaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post

He may be a dude in a shed. but CUSA bought the rights to the Amiga name though. There would be nothing to stop them from trying to kill the Amiga retro community.
Old 08 January 2012, 23:40   #8
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafDaz View Post

He may be a dude in a shed. but CUSA bought the rights to the Amiga name though. There would be nothing to stop them from trying to kill the Amiga retro community.
If only 1% of the Amiga retro community fought this dude in a shed, he'd back down. If he sent me a cease & desist letter right now, I'd shit in the envelope and return it. Not literally of course, but some kind of figurative retort :-)

You can see why people get scared when the RIAA (et al.) send them a letter, but from a not nickel & dime operation like CUSA. There's probably only a few people at that company. Plus I don't imagine they're making money hand over fist, if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad
Not quite. Atari is simply Infogrammes/Ocean with a different name!
Shows how much I know about Atari then :-)
Old 09 January 2012, 00:31   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
If you read or search for ppsberlin you will see they are in fact referring to the old software and emulators for machines such as the 130 xe.

I imagine some overzealous law school graduate has just been hired somewhere along the line.

They have already appologised to the pps guy.
Well, Infogrammes as far as i'm aware didn't secure that stuff, they are trying it on.
Old 09 January 2012, 01:55   #10
diablothe2nd

Hmm wonder if Atari are planning on making more money from their first generation games.

there have been a number of SoC Atari 2600 joysticks with their most popular games built into a single joystick put on sale in the past year or two. Nintendo are following suit also.

I wonder if it's simply a blanket notice so that they can "prove" in court they have attempted to defend their patents/copyright. This stinks of the case between Mojang and Bethesda over the upcoming game Scrolls. Where Bethesda HAD to make some form of official protest to protect their trade marke of "the elder scrolls" regardless of them losing in court. The point being, had they not attempted to challenge the word scrolls it would set president for future potential lawsuits. the same could be true of any trademarked games that may appear to have been abandoned by atari.
Old 09 January 2012, 09:48   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Well, Infogrammes as far as i'm aware didn't secure that stuff, they are trying it on.
Lets get one thing straight:

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/game...ertainment-sa/

(it's a weird name anyway)
Old 09 January 2012, 09:51   #12
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Emulator Zone used to a good site, but they are really slipping now. It's a proven fact that neither Atari nor any other company have any right to ban emulation of any machines (eg. as proved by Sony vs Bleem case, and others). The people running that site should know that and should stand up for the right to emulate rather than being completely gutless and letting themselves be told what to do by companies that have no right to do so. They also seem to think they have no right to mention the word Atari, which is likewise mistaken. That is like getting sued by Amiga for saying "I like Amigas", it would get laughed out of court. :-/ Oops, I said Atari, so sue me.

Also their emulator entries used to be frequently updated but are now months behind. A shame. I doubt if I'll bother visiting there anymore.