English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 15 July 2017, 13:55   #1
earok

Lemmings Collection CD32 re-release [help/opinions wanted]

I'm nearing the re-release of the Lemmings collection for CD32.co.uk. What's new since last time:
  • New Game: More! Lemmings by Amiga Jay
  • Mouse driven main menu (CD32 pad no longer required to operate the menu, a regular mouse or one button stick will be enough)
  • ALL games will be playable with gamepad, mouse no longer a strict requirement for any (although still recommended)

So there will be ten games total: Lemmings, Oh No More Lemmings, Lemmings 2, Lemmings 3, Xmas 91, Xmas 92, Xmas 93, Xmas 94, New Year Lemmings, More! Lemmings. As previously, Lemmings 2/3 can save progress via NVRAM.

Here's what I'm struggling with - two of the games still require CD32Load or WHDLoad to boot (New Year Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings). This means that
  • If there's a way to start either of them from the command line WITHOUT whdload, I'd love to hear it. This means that we could use the native "LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE" hack to drive the cursor from gamepad, rather than the flaky Virtual Mouse support in CD32Load (I take the blame for that!)
  • Further - if there's a version of them with the same menu system that powers the CDTV version (menu with quit instead of Player 2, mouse driven password entry etc), that would be awesome.
  • If not - is someone able to do a WHDLoad install of Oh No! More Lemmings that doesn't require the password entry screen, and put it in the zone? (The copy on whdownload requires password entry, though any password will work. I'm pretty sure there's a version out there that doesn't require a password at all)

Finally - after a simple yay/nay vote on two things to do with CDXL:
  • CDXL Intro video - I don't currently have one in my build. I could reuse the PSX version one again, but convert it at a higher quality this time. Maybe not worth it? Alternatively is there a better one that could be brought across?
  • CDXL intro for Lemmings 3. For the sake of completeness I could convert the one from the PC CD-ROM version , but to be honest it's not very good.

Last edited by earok; 15 July 2017 at 21:41.
Old 16 July 2017, 03:52   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

You should look at your email I think
Old 21 August 2017, 13:07   #3
Xenon

Oh, it would be great! I didn't have a chance to play previous compilation
Old 12 September 2017, 10:05   #4
solidcore

A working 2 player version of lemmings would be great, i have a standard CD32 which plays CD-R's perfectly, so immediately I grabbed the Psygnosis cd32 compilation of lemmings / other games found on the FTP as it has a 2 player option, however unfortunately my 2x PSX adapters by Paul are unable to cooperate properly in lemmings, when I move controller 1 , player 1 + 2 move , and vice versa. Maybe it's a bug with the controllers, but unfortunately, I don't have their source code to investigate that.

A working 2 player CD32 lemmings would be unreal and something I'd love to have, perhaps it would work with two mice? I don't know because I don't have an Amiga mouse at this time, however, I will be able to borrow a friend's Amiga mouse this weekend hopefully to try a mouse+psx controller combo, hope it works.

Anyone know more about this? Thanks.
Old 12 September 2017, 10:24   #5
Amigajay

Psygnosis removed the 2-player mode on CDTV probably because of issues like that, it was originally made just for mice, so the hack for player one joypad still is buggy even on CDTV, i.e having pause but the timer continues! so 2-players on 2 joypads is pretty unlikely, unless jotd or earok can perform a miracle!
Old 12 September 2017, 10:39   #6
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Psygnosis removed the 2-player mode on CDTV probably because of issues like that, it was originally made just for mice, so the hack for player one joypad still is buggy even on CDTV, i.e having pause but the timer continues! so 2-players on 2 joypads is pretty unlikely, unless jotd or earok can perform a miracle!
Damn, that sucks so I guess I'll have to get an A1200 to truly experience it?
Old 12 September 2017, 10:50   #7
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
Damn, that sucks so I guess I'll have to get an A1200 to truly experience it?
Or 2 mice!
Old 12 September 2017, 10:51   #8
earok

If you've got two mice (Paul Willingham adapters are probably OK) and a copy of standard Lemmings 2P on a disc WITHOUT "LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE" set as the volume label, then it should work fine - I think.
Old 12 September 2017, 10:55   #9
earok

A more technical explanation, having LEMMINGS_PLANETSIDE as the volume label triggers a special patch in the CD32 rom to emulate the mouse on a gamepad.

It does this by exploiting the JOYTEST register, however the register updates both ports, which'll be why one controller pushes both cursors.

It's actually a very handy patch for forcing mouse->gamepad support on most non-system friendly games (but not WHDLoad, CD32Load etc) which is why I used it on previous incarnations of the Lemmings collection.
Old 12 September 2017, 10:59   #10
Amigajay

Yeah those rom volume names are clever.

Hows this coming along Earok? Stuck on a particular bit probably?! Oh No?
Old 12 September 2017, 11:04   #11
earok

Was working with Galahad for a bit, it's gone a bit quiet at the moment. He could be busy with Starquake etc, I'm certainly very busy with AlarCity - had our first public showing at the NZGDC last week.

Old 12 September 2017, 11:16   #12
Amigajay

Yeah looks amazing, certainly will buy a copy when it comes out, just been made redundant so all my gaming purchases on hold atm!
Old 12 September 2017, 11:25   #13
earok

Ah crap, I'm sorry mate all the best for finding new employment.
Old 12 September 2017, 11:52   #14
solidcore

Earok, good luck with the game it looks fantastic, it's exactly this level of dedication to the Amiga that makes me feel at home with my cd32 and potentially other Amigas... heck I got a blasphemy of an Atari Falcon recently from my Father who donated it to me last week, it's in brilliant condition just needs a good clean :P hehe, they're worth a lot I believe! Hell I hope there will be an Atari port of these projects, or am I not meant to mention Atari here? lol.

Regarding lemmings, I've heard of this too and perhaps two PlayStation mice will work with his adapters set in mice mode.. I'm waiting for a replacement adapter from Paul atm, since obtaining my Amiga cd32 my girlfriend is stoked with the idea of a co-op lemmings experience I just feel a little bad we didn't purchase an a1200 just because if it turns out the cd32 can't play lemmings 2 players she will think twice about future investments, yikes! I do really try to involve her in Amiga related projects, heck I even got her to do some SMD soldering which I might add she did an awesome job at! I'm a little excited about that sorry, but who wouldn't be haha.

PS good luck with employment bro, I've had a lot of problems, meeting a google manager next week (WTF crazy) to hopefully resolve them, and learning electronics to some extent potentially have a 2nd career. I wish you well with your journey!
Old 12 September 2017, 12:06   #15
earok

Haha.. I'm very jealous about the Falcon actually, seems like a solid machine.

Today Tsak and I were joking about porting to Atari St and porting it back to Amiga (as the "Tiertex edition")
Old 12 September 2017, 14:53   #16
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Haha.. I'm very jealous about the Falcon actually, seems like a solid machine.

Today Tsak and I were joking about porting to Atari St and porting it back to Amiga (as the "Tiertex edition")
Yeah the Falcon is a solid machine, I recall my father bringing it home one night and replacing our ST's... it was like a holy grail had landed on our kitchen worktop, and while I was a small age of 4 or so at the time I remember the experience as if it was yesterday haha. Games I notably remember playing are Dizzy, Paradroid 90 and Turrican but also remember him using Cubase and other apps on there, I even recall him programming some 3d in ASM or other languages, what a childhood. Unfortunately, I didn't have the Amiga childhood like most of you here until I was a teenager playing on my friends a500/1200's - and I'm sure those of you with a well-privileged background got both haha lucky shits :P

Anyway, I'm happy to test on the Falcon any time just drop me a version of it in a pm and I'll be on it... hehe! have to get a USB drive emulator for it and a mouse but the PSX controller adapter should work