English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 26 June 2003, 00:01   #1
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Prob Whdl installing Pirates Gold Cd32

A couple of days ago I tried to install Pirates Gold Cd32 with WHDload, and exactly as the readme says it requires a dump of an A1200 rom. Now I have a big collection of dumped kickstart roms but none of the ones I have tried seems to work with this game. What I did was simply to rename the dumps to kick40068.a1200, and then dl the rtb file as well. But it says I'm using an incorrect kick rom. The roms I used were NOT bad dumps. Maybe I'll have to make "virtual dumps"; Run WinUAE with the dump and redump it with grabkick!? Can't recall I had to do this with the 1.3 rom (The install of the old Pirates worked fine)... Any clues?
Old 26 June 2003, 00:23   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you said you tried, and if so, pardon me in advance. You said that the game requires an A1200 rom, and then it sounded like you said that you tried renaming each rom file in your collection one at a time to kick40068.a1200, and then tried to use the renamed file in WinUAE to satisfy that requirement. The name of the file shouldn't matter in the least, but the contents definitely will. So if you did what it sounded like, that would only work if one of the roms you tried actually WAS an A1200 rom that was the exact version that the program was looking for. Am I misunderstanding what you tried to do?
Old 26 June 2003, 00:35   #3
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Well, if I was paid money for such an amount of work, I'd be pretty rich. No, I didn't. I took the 3.0 / 3.1 roms that are in my possession and tried renaming those that might be right. Also tried extended Cd32 rom (since I actually thought this ought to be the one needed). Nope, none of them worked. I'm also slightly confused exactly which kick roms went with which machines (revisions etc). Only owned a good old a500 in the good old days.

Basically, you're telling me it should work fine to rename a kick rom (the ones you run WinUAE with) and put it in the devs/kickstarts folder (along with the .rtb)? Hmm. Strange that it won't work...
Old 26 June 2003, 00:41   #4
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Hmm, when I just read my reply it actually struck me that what I tried was ... well more or less ... exactly what you wrote. Not trying the entire collection, but the part about renaming the roms and trying them out. Gawd, I sound like I've done nothing but smoking weed my entire life. Sorry, it's always difficult explaining your problems when it's so damn clear to yourself.
Old 26 June 2003, 02:52   #5
Chuckles
The Ancient One

I'm no expert on this, but if I'm not mistaken, the rom you need would be the one that is identified in the TOSEC dats as:

Kickstart v3.1 rev 40.68 (1993)(Commodore)(A1200)[!].rom

You might want to get a copy of one of the renaming utilities and the dats and try running them against your rom files to see if you have that one in your collection, and if so, try using that one. If it is not one that you have then it gets a bit trickier, as one of the definite no-no's at EAB would be posting a Kickstart or Workbench to the Zone for download. The last thing that EAB needs would be to be a target of the IDSA due to that sort of thing. These files do have tendencies to be posted from time to time on Usenet, but there's no predicting when they'll appear there next. People have also been known to e-mail copies of such things around as well, but it certainly isn't an officially sanctioned activity to do so. Hopefully if you use one of the renaming utilities you'll find that it is one you already have, and other options will be unnecessary anyway.
Old 26 June 2003, 03:40   #6
fisken uno
Zone Friend

I found the rom you mentioned in my collection - I guess it was the first one I tried. So I tried it again and to my great surprise it gave me a different error message (which was probably the reason for me starting to try out my other dumps). It said:

Error in OS emulation module.
Subsystem: dos.library
Error number $FFFFFF6A=-150

I don't know if you have ANY idea what this means. I don't! Maybe I should ask the author of the patch?
Old 26 June 2003, 03:54   #7
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Assuming that you're trying to install a version that is supported, that's probably a reasonable place to start ... but ... Not being familiar with WHDload myself, it sounds to me though as if it isn't completely happy with the version of dos.library that it found on your boot drive. You didn't mention what version of AmigaDOS you booted when you were trying to do the install, but if it wasn't the version that the patch expects to find, that might be the cause of your problem. Just a thought.
Old 26 June 2003, 04:15   #8
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Of course, now that I've posted one theory based solely on conjecture, a bit more checking makes me think that theory most likely is bogus. If I'm not mistaken, dos.library lives in the Kickstart rom, so if the error you received is due to WHDload thinking that it doesn't have the correct version of the the library, then it may well be that the Kickstart version you're using still isn't the right one. If that's the case, then it looks like you're more or less right back where you started. Perhaps an inquiry to the author of the patch might be in order after all.
Old 26 June 2003, 06:22   #9
haynor666
retro maniac

ROM does not work because this one which is needed might be dumped in different way for example with info header or with cutted bytes from in. Look into the zone.

With this ROM Pirates Gold! work on my A1200.
Old 26 June 2003, 09:05   #10
kriz

argh !! I have the same problem, I cant play any WHDload games using kickstart files ... All 3.1 rom files I have used (have tried many!), but all it says : wrong version ....

(cant grab the 3.1 rom from my 1200, since I managed to destroy the rom (I put them in wrong way, wrong slot, burned them...)

guess I have to look for that version ...

update: thanks for uploading haynor !!! Il try it when i get home , later today ..
Old 26 June 2003, 12:20   #11
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Not a chance! It didn't work with the roms either that haynor was kind enough to upload. Well I guess it is an unappropriate version or something then. I'll be looking for a working one... Thanks for your help guys.
Old 26 June 2003, 14:42   #12
RCK
Administrator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by haynor
ROM does not work because this one which is needed might be dumped in different way for example with info header or with cutted bytes from in. Look into the zone.
Roms archive are still copyrighted & considered as w@rez,
they don't have to be uploaded to one public forum like like EAB.

Files erased.
Old 26 June 2003, 14:56   #13
fisken uno
Zone Friend

I did not ask for the roms, just for how I'm supposed to get the ones I own to work. Now I'm quite sure that my version of the game won't work with the WHDload install. I got the disk version, though, from EmuChina and it actually loaded the title screen but then nothing (didn't react to anything... frozen). The cd32 version I have does have the audiotracks ripped - but since I thought the install did not use them I figured it wouldn't matter. I do have the intro animation but I don't think the install uses this either... What can I say... I'm clueless.
Old 26 June 2003, 16:34   #14
haynor666
retro maniac

Anyway, all games that uses ROM3.1 work fine with my files.
Old 26 June 2003, 19:41   #15
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Haynor, is your version of Pirates Gold working with WHDload? How much of the game does WHDload use? Does it require the CD to be in the drive while playing or does it rip the music? If I'm not mistaken I believe I read that it doesn't install the intro animation. So how big is the game? Is there a chance that you could upload it? I'm getting rather annoyed now when I suspect that my version probably won't work... BTW you guys like this version better than the old version? The old amiga version is a true classic but I didn't like the PC versions of either the old one or GOLD.
Old 26 June 2003, 21:41   #16
haynor666
retro maniac

With or without anim - it doesn't matter but WHDLOad version will be without music of course. Game is from ISO that I've found on net.

It's here on my site Pirates Gold!
Old 26 June 2003, 22:35   #17
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Thanks. But I couldn't get this version past the title screen, either!! Must be some conflict in the joypad emulation thingie. Strange because the disk version, when booted, works fine with my joypad. Maybe i should try using it with a pure wb, or even better make a bootable hdf...

Well, thanks anyway - you guys have been MOST helpful.
Old 26 June 2003, 22:37   #18
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Of course I should've mentioned that I'm using AIAB with WinUAE - or you might not understand what I mean with "pure" AmigaOS. Then again AIAB is a very good (and free) alternative to AOS 3.5 & 3.9...
Old 27 June 2003, 06:04   #19
haynor666
retro maniac

WinUAE ?!?

Game was tested on real A1200 so it isn't suprise for me that game is not working on emu.
Old 27 June 2003, 08:33   #20
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Yes, I'm afraid WinUAE has to do since I sold my own real amiga several years ago (in a moment of severe confusion). Still, WinUAE's compatibility is steadily getting better - I'll have to say most of my old favorites work with no fuzz on WinUAE. Pirates Gold, though, might not be the case I guess.