English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 18 November 2008, 18:10   #1
Anubis
Retro Gamer

HDF files

I was wondering if is possible to create small application that you can use to drop stuff into and it creates HDF of that size?

Also, is it possible to implement dynamic HDF files? (like Virtual PC does, you create HD image of 1GB, but it really starts from couple KB and as more stuff you add, file grows)

First question would help me to create script to transfer some of KG's game packs into HDF files to use them in X-Box.

If that is not possible, then dynamic size files would be next best thing, where you create files of 10MB and use only how much room you need per game.
Old 18 November 2008, 18:56   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I've created LOADS of hdfs of my whdload games, I created a script that runs on my laptop, would they do you?
Old 18 November 2008, 18:59   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I was wondering if is possible to create small application that you can use to drop stuff into and it creates HDF of that size?
Requires filesystem "emulation". I am not interested.

Quote:
Also, is it possible to implement dynamic HDF files? (like Virtual PC does, you create HD image of 1GB, but it really starts from couple KB and as more stuff you add, file grows)
I was thinking about this just few days ago.. Currently it seems I'll use VPC format because it is quite simple, conversion software already available (not as popular as vmware images but vmdk format is too complex)
Old 18 November 2008, 20:32   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
I've created LOADS of hdfs of my whdload games, I created a script that runs on my laptop, would they do you?
That will help my friend, but an application (GUI or yet better command line) that can be used to do exactly this would save you (and rest of us) a lot of time. Can you email me script? (I'll PM you my email in the case you don't have it)

Toni, isn't file system emulation already implemented in all Amiga emulators? I don't know much about WinUAE (or other emulators for that matter) code, but I assume required functions are already there. I would love to work on that, but my VC++ is nowhere near required skill.

As for dynamic hard disks, that would be great addition to already great emulator.
Old 18 November 2008, 20:38   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
dynamic HDF files
Now this would be an awesome feature
Old 18 November 2008, 20:47   #6
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Toni, isn't file system emulation already implemented in all Amiga emulators?
I think I can answer that for you. WinUae probably 'just' emulates the hardware layer and let's the filesystem handle the rest (pure software layer). This is why you can use any filesytem you want with WinUae (as far as I know).

Edit: Posted at the same time as Toni
Old 18 November 2008, 20:47   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Toni, isn't file system emulation already implemented in all Amiga emulators? I don't know much about WinUAE (or other emulators for that matter) code, but I assume required functions are already there. I would love to work on that, but my VC++ is nowhere near required skill.
It is Amiga-side driver (FFS, SFS etc..) doing the filesystem in emulation, WinUAE does not know or need to care, it is just some 68k code being emulated.
Old 18 November 2008, 22:04   #8
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Thanks for explanation!

Just one more question. (Sorry, I like to investigate project options )

Does ADFlib contains needed file libraries to work with HDF? (It is used by ADFOpus, so it should work IMHO)
Old 19 November 2008, 00:16   #9
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
That will help my friend, but an application (GUI or yet better command line) that can be used to do exactly this would save you (and rest of us) a lot of time. Can you email me script? (I'll PM you my email in the case you don't have it)

As for dynamic hard disks, that would be great addition to already great emulator.
As I've said in another thread, the script is pretty useless to you.

Do a search for the thread it explains it better!
Old 19 November 2008, 00:59   #10
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Do you think the following project could be of some interest to you ?

The simple HDF launcher allows to list all and start HDF Amiga Harddrive images(*.hdf).
Old 19 November 2008, 14:23   #11
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
Do you think the following project could be of some interest to you ?

The simple HDF launcher allows to list all and start HDF Amiga Harddrive images(*.hdf).
It looks interesting and they would benefit from it as well.

@KG - will do mate.
Old 19 November 2008, 18:10   #12
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
@Anubis : Glad you consider it that way , although it is aimed at E-UAE users...
Just one thing, who is 'they' (they would benefit...) ?
Old 19 November 2008, 19:22   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

By they, I meant people who created the script.

If there is a script to create HDF from folder (+ small extra room that you can select - needed for some save games) you will not have to have a script to dump all games that are less then 2 MB and bigger then 1MB into 2MB HDF. (waste of disk space IMHO)

But I can use their script to create some of HDF.
Old 20 November 2008, 07:04   #14
OddbOd

Quote:
Does ADFlib contains needed file libraries to work with HDF?
Yes, it has everything to do what you propose, just the small matter of coding it

I don't see how those bash scripts help at all as they rely on pre-sized hardfiles and the Amiga filesystem support built into the *nix kernel, in fact it looks like killergorilla's recipe from the xbox thread just with different ingredients.
Old 20 November 2008, 09:16   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Cheers for digging out the correct post mate, I couldn't seem to find it!
Old 20 November 2008, 14:10   #16
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
Yes, it has everything to do what you propose, just the small matter of coding it

I don't see how those bash scripts help at all as they rely on pre-sized hardfiles and the Amiga filesystem support built into the *nix kernel, in fact it looks like killergorilla's recipe from the xbox thread just with different ingredients.
I also use FreeBSD (One of the servers and VirtualPC), so that's how they help.

But portable program which would create HDF file that you can copy to would work better in both cases.

Thank you for the link!
Old 27 December 2008, 02:22   #17
Nomad of Norad

Location: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy...
Send a message via ICQ to Nomad of Norad Send a message via AIM to Nomad of Norad Send a message via MSN to Nomad of Norad Send a message via Yahoo to Nomad of Norad
I've got another potentially oddball question... is there a way to resize an HDF file? I know that in various OSs it is possible to resize partitions, even combine two partitions into one. I'd envision something with a slider on it, where you could take the size of the HDF file as it is now, and then drag that slider left or right to signify making the drive image smaller or larger, respectively, and then click on Commit (or whatever) and it'd lop off bytes or add bytes accordingly.

Workable?
Old 27 December 2008, 02:29   #18
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad of Norad View Post
I've got another potentially oddball question... is there a way to resize an HDF file? I know that in various OSs it is possible to resize partitions, even combine two partitions into one. I'd envision something with a slider on it, where you could take the size of the HDF file as it is now, and then drag that slider left or right to signify making the drive image smaller or larger, respectively, and then click on Commit (or whatever) and it'd lop off bytes or add bytes accordingly.

Workable?
I would have thought "no", as you can resize the partition inside the file, but not the file itself, or atleast not without an app designed to do that.
Old 27 December 2008, 09:45   #19
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad of Norad View Post
Workable?
Yes but not very useful, WinUAE 1.5.4 beta 2 introduced VHD support so hardfiles can now be dynamic i.e. they are only as big as the data they contain and will grow larger automatically.