English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 November 2010, 23:32   #21
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
I'm sure people who like Apple products, style over function, will like this new design.
what a cheap, and totally unrequired dig.

it's funny how there are so many media companies using Mac hardware because of the *added* productivity that is achieved by using them then, if they are so useless with 'function'.

I quite like the design - but then, i unusually like black and cyan.

I'll be very surprised to ever see it exist though.

Like Peter, i'd want to know that it's going to play Cannon Fodder et al.

edit: oh, i missed that it was a C= USA thing... no amiga then!

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 30 November 2010 at 00:11.
Old 30 November 2010, 00:04   #22
s2325
Zone Friend

sorry for google translation:

Prysneły dreams like a soap bubble. Unfortunately, all the news about emerging products CommodoreUSA is one big fake, or rather a joke.

Pretty good joke, since both gained ppa.pl and seemed to be, professional services PClab.pl. And all by accident. I looked through old articles gazeta.pl and found this - quite an old article, because of the 19 March 2010.

An excerpt from "Of course I do not know what is true. However, a few things so strongly caught my eye, that despite the sympathy for the Commodore (exactly the Commodore 128, which was a breakthrough for me, after previous experience with the ZX Spectrum) I can not collapse the selective blindness.

Here's what I immediately zazgrzytało:

1. alleged product page, commodoreusa.net, is created on the knee in five minutes, with images taken from the live site Cybernetu, "intro" was created in the free service slide.com into the comments code appears Citymax,
2. CityMax.com, this site offers templates for websites, with free 10 dniowymi versions of sample tests,
3. the address indicates commodoreusa.citymax.com commodoreusa.net, or implied Colleague product, both of these addresses are staffed by servers in Vancouver, Canada, belonging to the same ISP
4. commodoreusa.net owner of the domain (registered yesterday, for the year) is a domain seller GoDaddy.com, and not any company, which reportedly has regained the rights to the name of Commodore.

For me the issue is not so much sewn with thick thread, as in ship ropes. A Canadian student ZPC-GX31 loved at first sight, bought for a few dollars from GoDaddy entitled to an annual use of the domain commodoreusa.net from Citymax took to try out the template, he waved his site, by Citymax bought (or also in an attempt to get) a piece of space network and the case. The beta version of the prima-aprilisowego joke on the network, and half of the world have written about it. Sam I am no better - after all, I write it. And before I saw the "product site" well, I was convinced that this is great news.

In total, author of the idea are due thanks for the reminder of the Commodore. I can pogrożenie finger - I think - unauthorized use of photos / specifications of an otherwise nice and oldschool ZPC-GX31 (you know, he has two built-in RS-232 ports and LPT Centroniksa ?!)."

The longer I read the less I wanted to believe it. But just look at the photo Commodore Phoenix - is the computer all-in-one ZPC-GX31. What's the difference? Trifles. Another logo, cleaned the heatsink that is pokolorowanymi logotype and ports.

The website is even a fake CommodoreUSA.net (converted?) User's guide, someone had put a lot of work in the hoax. I personally like it has stopped the publication of pictures C64x news Atreus - I looked at the source site, and captured a few small things - a completely different keyboard layout - visualization shows five function keys, cursor keys, a different layout, etc picture shows just the original C64 and for being the most popular picture on the Internet - the same is used on this website in top.

Thus, there will be implementation of the dreams of many fans of the old good old C64. Company CommodoreUSA, her party, and even doctored photos of a movie with so-called "unboxingu" is one big joke.
Old 30 November 2010, 00:47   #23
Paul_s

The Dream may be over when Commodore died in 1994 but the nightmare continues!
Old 30 November 2010, 01:03   #24
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post

it's funny how there are so many media companies using Mac hardware
Lets be honest, Mac's these days are just over-priced Intel PC's. Basically Apple are charging more for hardware you would normally find in a cheaper Dell system... what can a Mac do that a PC can't?
Old 30 November 2010, 01:13   #25
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
what can a Mac do that a PC can't?
Run a superior operating system (OSX). (and, no, Hackintosh is not an option on most hardware setups)

I'm not so blinkered as to say "all PCs are crap" or even "I'd never use windows" - i am surprised to find that anyone would be stupid enough to confess to doing the same the other-way around.

There is plenty more i could say on the matter, but it's severely off-topic.
Old 30 November 2010, 02:22   #26
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Run a superior operating system (OSX). (and, no, Hackintosh is not an option on most hardware setups)
For me the problem is the cost. I won't pay those hardware prices just to run OSX. Their support for older machines/OSs are shameful too.

I would get one if I could afford it though.
Old 30 November 2010, 02:49   #27
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
dont like it, too "sharp" and glossy and dark ... I expect a warmer look from my amigas. this looks like one of those ridiculously expensive gaming pcs !
Old 30 November 2010, 03:32   #28
Cammy

As soon as someone rests their wrists on the front of this thing it's going to flip over... or do people type with their arms hovering over the keyboard? You'd have to with those sharp edges and corners that would dig into your wrists.

Horace your argument is a bit weak, especially when you further point out that the main reason for using a Mac is the OS, which is also why so many media companies use them, not because they like the case design. Obviously when I made my post I was referring to those fanboys who use Apple products for their fashionable looks only, not because they prefer the operating system.
Old 30 November 2010, 08:01   #29
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

sure, whatever. I pointed out 1 of my reasons, in response to a broadly sweeping generalisation (i.e. troll/baiting) about "people who like Apple products". If you must know, then yes, I also think Apple case-design is a cut above any Dell or other PC's, but i dont particularly feel the need to justify it any further.
Old 01 December 2010, 11:39   #30
gibs
Banned

@Cammy don't worry for us (hungry horace & me)
We use OSX on Apple hardware the same reason people use the Workbench on an Amiga. If you have a culture in computers you should understand why...
But if you are enjoying Windows on a PC we are not going to criticize you or screaming that Microsoft is trash...
Old 01 December 2010, 12:56   #31
ariva

I think they should release a few (at least two) color versions, so everyone could chose. I like the classic design in beige color (at least i think it was beige . And the second thing, shouldn't DVD drive be placed horizontally?

Old 01 December 2010, 16:09   #32
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
OSX is a distribution of Darwin (free software) which in turn is a variant of FreeBSD (free software). You can also run Darwin and/or FreeBSD on cheap hardware.

EDIT: Did I get s2325's post correctly? They say it's all just a prank? Makes sense.
Old 01 December 2010, 16:37   #33
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, it's prank.
Old 02 December 2010, 09:30   #34
gibs
Banned

Yeah...there are pranksters here.
Old 24 December 2010, 22:43   #35
s2325
Zone Friend

http://www.pcworld.pl/news/365511/7/...omputerow.html sorry, I don't know how to translate it
Old 24 December 2010, 22:47   #36
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

What about : http://translate.google.de/translate...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8 ?
Old 01 January 2011, 06:07   #37
ImmortalA1000

Quote:

it's funny how there are so many media companies using Mac hardware because of the *added* productivity that is achieved by using them then, if they are so useless with 'function'.

Because Commodore bankrupt themselves with crappy business decisions like A600 or CD32
Internet phones and touchpads that can't use flash based websites, MP3 players that had terrible MP3 playback quality, keyboards for desktop machines that are worse than the keyboards on my two non-Apple branded laptops here from 2005 lol he was spot on about style over substance.

As for the machine...what is it? Real Amiga motherboard in a new case? or more PC bollox to run WinUAE and never be able to load my original floppy disk games I own on it?
Old 01 January 2011, 13:36   #38
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
Internet phones and touchpads that can't use flash based websites, MP3 players that had terrible MP3 playback quality, keyboards for desktop machines that are worse than the keyboards on my two non-Apple branded laptops here from 2005 lol he was spot on about style over substance.
laptops that are as old as your argument?

yawn. YAWN.
Old 03 January 2011, 03:22   #39
gibs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
MP3 players that had terrible MP3 playback quality
What do you smoke ?
Old 18 January 2011, 21:15   #40
blackcornflake

Re the Commodore USA link: I don't keep track of geeky things much these days and I'm a bit confused. So a new company has bought the old Commodore name and now the Amiga name to go with it? Does this mean no more Amiga Inc in the sense of Bill McEwan's two-bit operation?

/me browses a bit more

Amiga OS 5?