English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 20 March 2007, 18:53   #61
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
I don't even know who to ask. I just asked here on the board, how can I help, what is the future. How will it evolve. For some reason ppl are very defensive of TOSEC. I think it's a cool idea that could use a few adjustments, just wondering. I sure as heck don;t want to start a brand new thing on my own or toss any work done to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Who did you ask to help be a renamer?
Old 20 March 2007, 19:05   #62
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by superBuster
I don't think you realize how confusing this is for people who are NOT inside TOSEC.
it may be, in that case, i apologize
Old 20 March 2007, 19:20   #63
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
fully respect your efforts! thanks for understanding.
Old 04 September 2008, 17:02   #64
Jan

sorry to bump such an old thread...

tosec.info is down (.org works), forum's down, and the last update was in October. Just wondering if there's still some life in it?
Old 05 September 2008, 21:50   #65
PandMonium

Hi,
well, the short answer is that there's still life in it :P even if it doesn't look like that.

Explaining a bit more:
The TOSEC project surely seems dead for long time now (months/year), the .info domain that had the website + the forum is down for ages (cause = it was maintained by someone that is missing for years and we didn't/don't have access to it), even when it was still on there was a huge lack of activity, with the emulation hype cooling down lots of renamers went MIA and the project lost some of its force.

Its also known that the program used (TIM) was hugely broken and had to be fixed to support latest dats & changes in TNC, so releases were halted until it could be fixed, the last official release was done in clrmame DATs only because it was still broken (no coders were still around), after that someone started fixing lots of bugs in TIM and even rewriting some parts to the point that it could support the latest dats and be +- usable, but since TIM was just so bad coded and with so many wrong things from the start he lost a bit of interest on it and once all bugs and features missing to support latest dats were fixed he decided to stop updating it ().

The current state of tosec.org is due to the fact that only Grendel can access it and (surprise) he also disappeared, so there is now way to at least update the main page.

Now that almost all things are explained i just want to say that even with all these problems the project is not dead and there are still (few) things going on. You can check toseciso.org, where you can find wip tosec dats (iso related) and see that some are very recent *TOSEC-v2008-08-03*, there are also some other dats that changed, TNC format changed a bit and lots of sets that were BROKEN (didn't respect the format) were fixed, there are other things going on and also LOTS of sets yet to fix.

Thats it, don't ask me when a release will come because i have no idea (its not up to me) and i guess it will only happen when they feel its ready (even it its another year from now )

Last edited by PandMonium; 06 September 2008 at 16:32.
Old 28 September 2008, 23:06   #66
BippyM
Global Moderator

Hi Pandemonium and welcome to EAB

Why don't we just dump TIM (for now) and use CLRMame? It is established and much simpler to use than TIM!
Old 29 September 2008, 00:12   #67
PandMonium

Hi bippym,
like i said in the last post i'm not working in tim anymore, i made some changes in it to be possible to use the last dats and updated / rewrote some of the other parts but it was such a mess that i got a bit tired and since almost nobody uses it anyway i guess i will no update it more

I use clrmame too for ages, only used TIM a bit because it could had been a good utility and had some nice ideas / useful features but it was very broken and to manage roms clrmame is the tool to use.
For long now i'm much more interested in fixing errors in sets (i just find them ), defining all TNC rules and making some other things that help getting tosec dats better than they were before