English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 September 2018, 09:05   #1
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

PlayStation Classic (PS Classic / PS Mini)

Hi there.

Yesterday I red this in the newspaper. One more .
As I am lazy today, thanks to google for the translation :

Back in reduced size.
Sony will reissue its first PlaStation miniature console (45% smaller).
Renamed PlayStation Classic, it will integrate 20 pre-installed games, including "Final Fantasy VII" and "Tekken 3".
It will be available in "limited quantity" from December 3 for around 110 fr.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSClassic.png
Views:	128
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	59909  
Old 21 September 2018, 09:55   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It's going to be the same as the NES Mini and the SNES Mini, an ARM powered SoC probably running Android running a tweaked Open Source Emulator.

It's going to be relatively expensive HW mainly due to the amount of storage involved. If it has 20 games full uncompressed CD's (700Mb * 20) is ~20Gb of flash (remember SNES mini only had 512Mb of flash!)

The vast majority of that was the CD Audio, so they will almost certainly compress the audio, or perhaps remove it altogether..
Old 21 September 2018, 11:44   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have the same opinion. NES and SNES mini easily contain 1:1 old games as they are small in size, but with this PS mini I am afraid of big compromises.
Old 21 September 2018, 11:54   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

A total waste of time and money. Go buy a second hand Playstation with a thousand games for less than half the price.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:03   #5
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
A total waste of time and money. Go buy a second hand Playstation with a thousand games for less than half the price.
Fair enough if you are happy with cdr's but have you seen the prices of some original games such as Symphony of the Night recently?

Last edited by -Acid-; 21 September 2018 at 12:09.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:08   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Then you you still use a CD image loader like PSIO, i guess others will follow. 20 games for console which has hundreds of hits? It doesn't do it justice, for such a legendary console.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:08   #7
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
It's going to be relatively expensive HW mainly due to the amount of storage involved. If it has 20 games full uncompressed CD's (700Mb * 20) is ~20Gb of flash (remember SNES mini only had 512Mb of flash!).
20Gb of storage costs nothing to these companies. Look at Switch game cards even indie devs can make a game get paid get it distributed make a profit give Nintendo their cut etc and still sell games for £20.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:37   #8
kriz

Hope you can hack it like the snes mini and so
Old 21 September 2018, 13:11   #9
Amigajay

Quote:
It's going to be the same as the NES Mini and the SNES Mini, an ARM powered SoC probably running Android running a tweaked Open Source Emulator.

It's going to be relatively expensive HW mainly due to the amount of storage involved. If it has 20 games full uncompressed CD's (700Mb * 20) is ~20Gb of flash (remember SNES mini only had 512Mb of flash!)

The vast majority of that was the CD Audio, so they will almost certainly compress the audio, or perhaps remove it altogether..
Doubt very much they will use ISO’s and Wavs, they will use their own .pbp format will has a high compression rate and can load multiple disc games from one file.

20 games would be 2-6gb depending on compression and total discs in package, which would mean either a 4gb or 8gb flash storage on board.

Don’t worry Sony will be making plenty of money from it either way! The fact that Wipeout will be missing the licensed music puts me off anyway!
Old 21 September 2018, 14:02   #10
ransom1122

Guarantee they'll use PBP compression.

And not naming the other 15 games is poor. Generally means the extra 15 games will be crap.
Old 21 September 2018, 14:05   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Generally means the extra 15 games will be crap.
They will probably announce them titel after title, to force the hype.
Old 21 September 2018, 14:25   #12
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

100€ for something we can all get for next to nothing? I'll keep my original Playstations, thank you.
Old 21 September 2018, 14:31   #13
Glen M

It will be nothing more than a fad and is a cash grab by sony. The NES mini, remember that, was hard to get hold of and selling for twice its value on eBay. I can get one today for half its launch price. These things are aimed at the past gamer to relive their youth and the vast majority of those people have moved on and will in a year or so move on from this impulse purchase mini console. Wait a year or so and you'll get one of these for £20.

If you want to play a PS1 game the easiest option is to buy the original console, or the PS2 or the PS3 which can all play PS1 games, I don't know about the PS4. I haven't use the playstation store in years but I assume the vast majority of popular PS1 games can be bought on there anyway? A PS2 can be got for £5, hell I found one in a skip last week. PS1 game originals can be expensive but the vast majority of the common titles that most people will want to relive anyway are still cheap. For the rare games, I'll bet they won't be on this device anyway so the only option to play them will be the expensive original or the pirated copy.

It will be cool to see how the communityt hacks this box and what else they get to run on it but I'll be watching that from the sidelines.

For me retro gaming is all about the original hardware and I'll stick with that.
Old 21 September 2018, 16:50   #14
Clamshell

I'll be surprised what games are left on there. But I will order one for fun.
Old 21 September 2018, 18:37   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Doubt very much they will use ISO’s and Wavs, they will use their own .pbp format will have a high compression rate and can load multiple disc games from one file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
Guarantee they'll use PBP compression.
PBP? Hmmm not sure that is a PSOne game file format / compression format. It's the PSP executable format (which can contain PSone games)

http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Eboot.PBP

Interesting stuff.

Last edited by alexh; 21 September 2018 at 18:46.
Old 21 September 2018, 20:10   #16
nexus

Quote:

the audio can be a mp3 and they will have to redo FMV as some games were 4 discs just cause of that

but i bet they can get them down to over half in size

remember these days when doing dreamcast isos fitting a GDROM on CDROM though back then i had plextor drives with GIGAREC so i could make better copies
Old 21 September 2018, 20:30   #17
amiman99

The Playstation Classic could be a Playstation Vita TV in disguise. They were selling them for $40 at one time. When it comes out someone will do a tear down for sure.
So, I will probably get it, because I'm sucker.
I have Playstation, PSOne, PS2, PS3, PS4, Vita, with many, many games for each system.
Old 23 September 2018, 22:21   #18
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
The Playstation Classic could be a Playstation Vita TV in disguise. They were selling them for $40 at one time. When it comes out someone will do a tear down for sure.
I have Playstation, PSOne, PS2, PS3, PS4, Vita, with many, many games for each system.
What - no PSP?
Old 26 September 2018, 13:49   #19
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
Only difference is that they included licenses to 20 games on top of that. I already have 4 out of 5 previewed, still might get this as gift for my kid or something like that...
Old 26 September 2018, 19:00   #20
amiman99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
What - no PSP?
I forgot, PSP too! That's a lot of Playstations!