English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 December 2014, 19:51   #21
clenched

- LoveDungeonv1.0.lha -
Tested on A500 w/GVPA530. Graphics, controls, sound are OK. 60 seconds of screen time are used up in 48 seconds of real time. So the best I managed was 3 leftover hearts on one of the levels.
Old 25 December 2014, 20:25   #22
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by clenched View Post
- LoveDungeonv1.0.lha -
Tested on A500 w/GVPA530. Graphics, controls, sound are OK. 60 seconds of screen time are used up in 48 seconds of real time. So the best I managed was 3 leftover hearts on one of the levels.
Is that an ntsc system?

60 seconds in game should be 60 seconds in real time, Ill check it!

even it is an ntsc system, the faster in game movement should compensate for the faster time counting down.

All default world record times are beatable by at least 1 second, I achieved all times in game minus 1 second to make them beatable

You have to plan your routes carefully, jump up ladders to grab them high to save time, constant fluid movement is key, moving along the most efficient path

Try jumping under a heart that looks too high, the collision detection is very generous for above bruce, you might be able to grab hearts higher up the screen than you imagine.

If you really want to reset the world records, clear them TWICE from the options screen, this will make it a lot easier to unlock the monster and game modes

If you really cant collect all the hearts, let me know, i will make a video of how to do it for each level.

Ive read in a few places that the difficulty is too high, well maybe I made a mistake of playing the game constantly and adjusting the difficulty for me, not a new player

I knew I shouldnt have fired all my playtesters

EDIT:

Here is a video showing how to complete each level with time to spare

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by jimmy2x2x; 25 December 2014 at 21:25. Reason: added video link
Old 02 January 2015, 17:32   #23
Bugala

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2x2x View Post
If you are getting frustrated with not being able to beat the world records, reset them twice to clear them.
Man had it been nice had someone posted this to amigaworld.net too...

Anyway, I played your game. What a good game, and heres couple of my comments.

First of all, I have to say that although I am commenting of some things, they are not erally complains, they are more of nitpicking, just to give you something where you could still improve.

I liked very much how it reminded of the C64 Bruce Lee. It worked very well and set the feel of thegame to something very nice.

I also liked how you were collecting hearts.

I also think that the time you ahve given to each level, is quite right amount, that they are hard, but not too hard, nor too easy.

If there would be plenty of time, then it wouldnt be fun anymore. I think I played this game for something between 30 - 60 minutes, which is quite much for this kind of game already and shows that it does have some replayability value and interest. If this had been made before year 2 000, this would be one of those classic games to remember and to revisit every now and then.

But, I think you should have given different difficulties for game, maybe easy and hard, plus also, timeless mode. For my 4 year old daughter came to see me play, saw the hearts, and instantly wanted to play the game too. But alas, what a sad thing the game kept ending all the time when time was running out and it didnt take long for daughter to get frustrated and stop playing.

Had there been timeless mode, I think she had enjoyed playing it much longer, and perhaps she had even asked to play it again in future.

The world records were real hard to beat. Too hard!. And unfortunately I didnt know about that reset thing.

Good thing however was, that after i had beat two world records, the monster mode came on, and those didnt have any record in them. So as long as i was able to beat any of them in time, i would get the last secret unlocked.

Have to say, it becomes surprisingly hard to beat when the monster is going on around.

I very muhc liked from those locked features. They made the game very different and gave much more replayability value to the game. It was also very good idea the hide and seek mode where the monster is so much faster. Good modes, and I even liked the sound testing as one of the unlockable things.

What I would have liked there having been, had been a background music. That was pretty much only thing i was missing in that game. Otherwise it had much more than you would expect. I also think it was good you didnt have any more levels there, since then there would be too many to play already.

Although, if you had made a story mode with maybe 10 levels that come each after previous one is beaten, that would have been a lot of fun, and I think I would have played it through since i already was interested enough to unlock all the secrets.

Oh, and one thing that annoyed me was the falling part. I guess idea was taht if half of bruce lee is over the edge, you fell. This made many times some frustration, especially in tight spots, since it just didnt feel natural ata ll, i would suggest maybe changing it to 3/4th of a Bruce Lee out before falling.

And that gripping by fire button, i would have rather had it simply by pushing up, since there wasnt really any reason why not that way, as there was never a need to be jumping higher at same time as you were passing ladders.

Very good game you made there. It reminded me positively about C64 Bruce Lee, although at same time it was very different kind of game.
Old 02 January 2015, 17:49   #24
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

Thanks for your comments, really happy you enjoyed it!

I will consider all of your comments for the full version of Bruce Lee coming later this year, the falling comment is new to me, but I have heard that people dont like pressing fire to grab onto things, I did this so you can jump past ladders or grab onto them if you want to. It also allows for getting faster times by jumping up and grabbing the ladders

If you want me to make a special version for your daughter with the timer disabled, I can do that no problem at all - If you like I can put her name on the title screen too, let me know.

Thanks again for the great report
Old 02 January 2015, 19:33   #25
Bugala

Thanks, Timeless version would be great. I think daughter woudl like to play that.

I will pm you.

edit:

almost forgot to mention that i also liked the level design. They didnt feel like they were just put there, but they felt like at least some thought had been given upon how levels should be arranged, and they were fun to play.
Old 02 January 2015, 20:19   #26
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

LoveTimeless.zip is in the zone
All secrets unlocked
All high scores are 0, so any score will beat them
Timer increased to 5 minutes per level (was 1 minute)
This is better than disabling it as she can still try and beat high score
Put her name on the Title Screen

ADF and .exe in the zip, Hope she likes it!
Old 02 January 2015, 20:41   #27
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Finally got the opportunity to try this game...

W E L L - D O N E !

Bruce Lee on C64 have no music so i guess that's the reason why you don't have music?

And more levels would be nice
Old 03 January 2015, 12:21   #28
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

Thanks hipoonios!

The main reason for lack of levels and music is the time I had available, I wanted this little game out before Christmas.

Its main job was to allow me to get familiar with the Amiga again, as its been over 20 years since I've programmed anything for it!

I aim to complete the best version of Bruce Lee I can this year
Old 03 January 2015, 16:26   #29
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

When you do complete it, can you contact me through pm or email so I can get it ready for site. Cheers
Old 26 April 2018, 13:08   #30
DamienD
Banned

Any news regarding this, is 1.0 the latest version?

Also, what about Bruce Lee, is it being worked on?
Old 27 November 2018, 01:10   #31
DamienD
Banned

Forgot to reply earlier today, and have now seen that you deleted your post in the meantime... but I can still see this; and it may help someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Does anyone have the most recent demo of Jimmy's Bruce Lee they can post to the zone? It seems all development has stopped for this project sadly.
Here you go Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Also on the EAB File Server

...and this: LoveTimeless [Special version for Bugala's daughter].zip

Last edited by DamienD; 27 November 2018 at 01:15.