English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 04 February 2014, 10:51   #41
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Yeah, Gibs is a MASTER.... and The Last Sun is one hellua mod Would fit WTSS perfect, but not sure this is what Galahad is after...
Old 04 February 2014, 12:57   #42
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Yeah, Gibs is a MASTER.... and The Last Sun is one hellua mod Would fit WTSS perfect, but not sure this is what Galahad is after...
If someone remixes it, or does a remix that goes off in a different direction, I'm all for it. I'd welcome the likes of gibs or dax or Perkins doing a remix, listened to lots on Amiga remix and most are awesome.
Old 04 February 2014, 14:26   #43
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Did you try the MyST YM2149 Amiga emulator yet?
Old 04 February 2014, 15:41   #44
daxb

For the 1:1 conversion of the original. What data is available? Original Samples? Song pattern data? Original tune that can be played 1:1 on an amiga mod player?
Old 04 February 2014, 21:12   #45
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
What data is available?
The original play routine for the ST.

Quote:
Original Samples?
AFAIK it doesn't use samples.

Quote:
Song pattern data
It's not a mod, the song-pattern data will be custom.

Quote:
Original tune that can be played 1:1 on an amiga mod player?
It's not a mod.

The original YM2149 chip can be emulated on the Amiga using MyST plugin for Delitracker/Eagle Player.

http://aminet.net/search?query=emulator+ym2149

Details about using MyST inside another program has been provided to Galahad for 68020+

Last edited by alexh; 04 February 2014 at 21:26.
Old 04 February 2014, 21:22   #46
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Did you try the MyST YM2149 Amiga emulator yet?
Unfortunately its a no go. For a standard 68000 and realtime screen conversion, its just not useable unfortunately
Old 04 February 2014, 23:05   #47
daxb

If the music duration isn`t too long then the easiest/best way ist to make a 8bit mono 11kHz (or lower) record or use some compressed audio stream format. Else you have to make a very own pt mod of the original what might be impossible if the target is 1:1. If the ST music is "easy" it might be possible. I fear too much work for someone who wants to invest.
Old 04 February 2014, 23:22   #48
Dunny

I'd be more interested in hearing what Dax or Gibs can do "remixing" the original (Speccy) version of the tune in an Amiga tracker rather than .mp3 format...

That would rock.

As for the original AY music, I'd probably see about isolating each chip-sound as a sample and building in a tracker from there. It could be done, I think - get an emulator (ZXSpin can do it) that can reduce the individual channel volume for A,B and C and record those. Time consuming, but possible and would sound quite good.

D.
Old 04 February 2014, 23:32   #49
Amiga1992

This might be able to help out:
http://jagex.wikia.com/wiki/YM-2-MID...ty_Version_2.0
Old 05 February 2014, 03:09   #50
4mat_
Demoscene musician

There's a YM to XM converter then you could pop the data down to MOD with a bit of work.
Old 05 February 2014, 04:18   #51
Mark Wright

Galahad, how much raster time is left for a native Amiga replay routine?

I am ready to attempt a 1:1 cover of the wibbly wobbly Spectrum 128 tune, but I'll be making it in an old version of MED (v3) where the synth editor sounds work properly. I don't know if there's such a thing as a definitive, optimised version of the MED replay out there? I think I'll go ahead and do it anyway just for the hell of it.

If you have a MED replay to hand, try including this ancient module, which my WTSS will be loosely based around - there should be white noise percussion after it kicks in, which is missing on some MED replays:

http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/forest.med

For reference, it should sound like the first song in this medley of attempts at Amiga AY emulation I made in the early 90s... actually quite excited about doing this having listened to them again :-)

http://www.radiofriendly.co.uk/ayup.mp3

I'm very rusty so don't wait for me to finish it, it will probably take until the weekend at least. I'll also try to do an ST-01 tracker cover in Protracker once I'm annoyingly over-acquanited with the actual tune, due to over-exposure... ;-)

Last edited by Mark Wright; 05 February 2014 at 04:42. Reason: Nostalgia
Old 05 February 2014, 07:50   #52
adrdesign

Sorry if my english is poor. I've converted with AYEMUL the original ZX spectrum to YM. Then converted to midi with YM2MIDI, then to protracker with octamed soundstudio with midi resolution=32, this keeps all the notes.

This is a draft version, I don't have enought time to make it perfect, but i hope someone could use as a path. Note the need for more octaves to acomplish all the notes in the original song.

Good Luck Galahad! Thanks for keepin it!
Attached Files
File Type: zip wheretimedraftmod.zip (86.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 05 February 2014, 14:11   #53
Amiga1992

Oh I see, the extra notes need resampling.
This is a good starting point though, thanks ADR!
Old 05 February 2014, 22:17   #54
leathered

@adrdesign That is freakin' brilliant mate! Look forward to the results...
Old 06 February 2014, 17:07   #55
adrdesign

I had some spare time and fixed the lost octaves. Hope this will be enough for a 1:1 conversion. I notice some little delay in the middle, but it's ok. The subtempo is 2 and the bpm is 255, to keep all the notes straight. For future conversions, I suggest you use the "AY_Emul -> YM, YM2MID and MID to Octamed Sound Studio with high resolution set in the SMF load options, then save to mod after some retouching" method. Its quite simple. Softwate attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wheretimestoodstill_draft_fixed.zip (7.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: zip AY-YM 2 MOD Software.zip (1.13 MB, 116 views)
Old 06 February 2014, 17:21   #56
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrdesign View Post
I had some spare time and fixed the lost octaves. Hope this will be enough for a 1:1 conversion. I notice some little delay in the middle, but it's ok. The subtempo is 2 and the bpm is 255, to keep all the notes straight. For future conversions, I suggest you use the "AY_Emul -> YM, YM2MID and MID to Octamed Sound Studio with high resolution set in the SMF load options, then save to mod after some retouching" method. Its quite simple. Softwate attached.
Thats great, thanks for that.

Looks like we have our first module

Obviously theres going to be efforts from other people as well, and as far as i'm concerned, all good versions get included, and this is the very first one.

How do you wish to be credited?

What I will say is that we REALLY need an Amiga tune now, and if musicians want to go in their own direction creatively, then go for it, and i'm all for it. Having to listen to the original tune over and over and over and over again might be too much for some people, so be as creative as you want chaps

Old 06 February 2014, 17:34   #57
adrdesign

Thanks Galahad!! It's a proud to me you have included my little work. My real name's Alvaro, but credit it as ADRDesign, it's my battle name! At your service for future releases!
Old 06 February 2014, 19:00   #58
Greyfox
Pixel Blender!

Send a message via MSN to Greyfox
Following you now on SC
Old 08 February 2014, 00:02   #59
blindfold
Zone Friend

I also wanted to suggest YM2XM from Leonard page as 4mat_ mentioned above. Though I think I have noticed some bug - sometimes the last pattern is being cut - there is probably some error in rounding song length to pattern in converter.
http://leonard.oxg.free.fr/stsound_download.html
Old 08 February 2014, 00:04   #60
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mat_ View Post
There's a YM to XM converter then you could pop the data down to MOD with a bit of work.
Hmmmm, yes, or maybe, some musicians could do a mod of their very own, I just wish I knew someone that had the talent for that kind of thing....

....wait a godamned minute!