English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 August 2015, 08:53   #1
Bugala

Ducks of Apocalypse - one of the Winners of Speedgame 2015

with Hollywood made "Ducks of Apocalypse"-game participated in Christiandevs.com annual Speedgame competition 2015 and was judged to be one of the top 3 games in competition.

In Ducks of Apocalypse player is controlling XIAN ducks to get through apocalypse through eye-view point'n'click control system in simplified Phoenix Wright style.

To celebrate the winning, there is now "one more hour" - edition available from Indiego Appstore: www.indiego-gaming.com (under Games/Puzzle) for free.

http://christiandevs.com/news/?page_id=509
Old 03 August 2015, 09:16   #2
Bugala

Some more comments.

In (probably near) future, at some point when i come to decision about wether to make the third trial case to the game or not (which i didnt have time during competition to do), I will at that point get this or the updated game to Aminet as well. At this point however, this will be Indiego exclusive for a while.

There is also a classic version available in Indiego, but dont hope too much. Current version uses MP3s and it also runs on HD resolution. On top of that, I had misunderstood how making single exes in Hollywood works. I thought stuff are loaded as needed, but actually some of the stuff, like Samples, are loaded to memory right from beginning.

Therefore my guess is that despite how simple this game is, MP3s will make it take 060 and preloading samples makes it take 32 Mb of RAM machine to work.

There is possibility for classic version with Wavs instead of MP3s and samples not loaded to memory directly, I actually already have converted those MP3s to Wavs, which would make game much lighter to run and less memory consuming.

I gave it a try already, but unfortunately due to time limit in competition, i resorted to some bad programming here and there, and it was not so simple changing it to support this lighter version as i thought and hence I might not do it at all, unless there are people showing their interest to it.

There are two possibilities.
1. a version that i can do already by simply changing all MP3s to Wavs, this would make it run perhaps on a 030 machine, but would probably need 128 mb of Ram (Wav samples would be loaded to memory at beginning)
2. a version using wavs and sounds are loaded as needed. Maybe 8 Mb of Ram needed to run and same maybe 030 machine to run it, but this would take some effort, as i would need to change some (bad) code.

If there is interest to either 1 or 2, let me know. Especially version 1 I can make quite easily, version 2 there needs to be more interest for me to take the effort.

Notice also, that since it is Hollywood product, it does require GFX-card to work on classics at all.

Sorry for no screenshots and video, I might make some gameplay video later.
Old 03 August 2015, 20:40   #3
Bugala

Here is some short gameplay video: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 August 2015, 20:42   #4
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

3. If songs are not too complex and does not involve singing what about asking to make mod files for it? Should in theory reduce even more memory footprint

[later: ok seen the game video, yeah you could use wav and reduce it 8-bit 11025 mhz or even 22050 to reduce a lot footprint and for music use mods, my opinion]
Old 03 August 2015, 22:18   #5
Bugala

@saimon69

Thanks from tip, the thought to reduce the quality of audios hadnt even crossed my mind. I think its worth considering for Classic version.

All in all it is not so much a question of there not being solutions (as example the MOD musics) but it is more of a question of how much effort will it take to make them, as I try to keep the amount of work in this to minimum, since my main concentration is on "Kings of Israel".

However, reducing sound quality could be something easy enough to do. I will consider it if people are interested in having a real Classic version. Current one takes about 200 Mb of RAM to run when i tested it with Amikit. Not to mention it took ages to just start because everything is on one single exe and it loads most of stuff to memory before starting.