Old 13 October 2003, 02:26   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

This looks like a great site!

http://www.pike.uaivip.com.br/
Old 13 October 2003, 09:10   #2
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I don't see how the place has not been shut down.
Old 13 October 2003, 12:33   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

Read the FAQ and it explains why it aint been touched!!!
Old 13 October 2003, 12:52   #4
Figi

Quote:
If any sites carry ROMs, I don't see why we can't do it too. We are only using a different medium to distribute them, and charging extra for the job we have and the materials we use.
Well, that one's nice. So as long as any "other people" do illegal stuff I can do it, too, without getting charged. Cool. Please, somebody rob a bank now. ;-)
Old 13 October 2003, 13:31   #5
fisken uno
Zone Friend

*sigh*

They never learn do they?
Old 13 October 2003, 13:35   #6
barkingboy
Zone Friend

From their FAQ:

Quote:
Our profit margin is very little
LOL WTF £34 + shipping for 2 Amiga DVD's in jewel cases.
Old 13 October 2003, 15:25   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

There is only one word for people like this:

Stupid Feck Heads
Old 13 October 2003, 16:04   #8
blackcornflake

That's three words.

But yes, I agree. Their self-righteous stance sucks.

Quote:
We sell the service for collecting them for you, the cover, the plastic case and CD, that's all.
Old 13 October 2003, 16:40   #9
ant512

Quote:
"...we do not sell CDs with games that are still selling. So, no harm can be done against the companies that produced them, because they are considered abandonware."
Does this mean that I could take all of their life savings, because they aren't using them at the moment?

It's OK, I've just invented the term "abandonedfunds", which hasn't any validity in the laws of any country, but covers this exact situation - money in a bank account (and thus not being used at the moment) is abandonedfunds, and can be appropriated by anyone to use as they wish.

Looks like the drinks are on me!
Old 13 October 2003, 16:49   #10
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Exactly, they say that the games are considered "abandonware". But who are considering? Well definitely not the programmers and developers of the games! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ABANDONWARE! The closest thing might by as when Revolution gave ScummVM permission to spread BASS, or when companies have granted BTTR to host their games but it does *NOT* grant them to earn any money on the games!!!! Where are the IDSA when they're needed!!!????? Why are innocent fan sites being shut down when sites like this can live on? Why oh why do we live in such a fucked up world? *cries like a baby*

EDIT: yes I read their faq but it's still not fair...
Old 13 October 2003, 18:41   #11
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Wankers!
Old 13 October 2003, 19:23   #12
Mojo

Send a message via ICQ to Mojo Send a message via AIM to Mojo Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo
Were not hurting anyone, were only selling someone elses work (or someone else 3000 different pieces work) for money (and lots of)

whats going on??

WHOA, http://www.pike.uaivip.com.br/en_amiga.html

$135!!!! 14 CDS
Old 13 October 2003, 21:28   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

If people are stupid enough to buy this crap, then people are going to be selling it. I don't blame the siteop's (although it is wrong what they are doing), I blame the tw*ts willing to pay.

Get rid of the tw*ts, get rid of the sites, simple. It's called "demand and supply" (or is it the other way round I forget) don't you know
Old 14 October 2003, 02:01   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Ian, that's a bit of a blinkard view.

What if people have seen this and remembered the Amiga but have no knowledge of how easy it is to get these online.

You can't blame the people who buy it, it's just not fair. It may seem obvious to us, but a lot of people don't know the emu/retro scene.

Give em a f1cking break.
Old 14 October 2003, 05:38   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Those guys are from Brazil.

To sell pirated games is common here. Most games have no support anyway, and most people here doesn't even know that they are buying pirates, because pirates it's ALL THEY KNOW, it's like if original games never existed at all.

But, well, this doesn't seems to be the case here, as those guys are selling old stuff, and they aren't aimed for brazilian people.
Old 14 October 2003, 06:02   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
If people are stupid enough to buy this crap, then people are going to be selling it. I don't blame the siteop's (although it is wrong what they are doing), I blame the tw*ts willing to pay.

Get rid of the tw*ts, get rid of the sites, simple. It's called "demand and supply" (or is it the other way round I forget) don't you know
That's logical. Dumbasses ask for it.
Old 14 October 2003, 06:03   #17
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by killergorilla
Ian, that's a bit of a blinkard view.

What if people have seen this and remembered the Amiga but have no knowledge of how easy it is to get these online.

You can't blame the people who buy it, it's just not fair. It may seem obvious to us, but a lot of people don't know the emu/retro scene.

Give em a f1cking break.
I dunno. With Google...there is no excuse. If you are stupid or lazy enough to pay, you're a dork.
Old 14 October 2003, 07:12   #18
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

2.4 - IDSA will hunt and bust you!

I doubt that.

This site is hosted in a brazilian server, we live in Brazil and all our distribution is originated from here, IDSA has no jurisdiction in our country and, according to brazilian laws, only the brazilian companies that represent such american and japanese companies could prosecute us.

Actually, emulator CDs, PlayStation and Dreamcast backups and even alternative N64 cartridges are sold in stores here, and the big companies do not seem to bother.

Also, there is also a law that states that, if a product has no similar produced in Brazil, it is not considered piracy, or illegal material in any way. All the games we distribute are not sold in stores anymore, so the brazilian laws protect us against such companies, because they would have to maintain those titles in the brazilian market to force us not to distribute them.

Anyway, the final word is: Such a small site like ours coud not hurt the profits of major companies, in any part of the world.
Old 14 October 2003, 10:34   #19
Dizzy
Pirate

2 years ago I remeber a cool Brazilian site with lots of cool DL for Mega-Cd, Jaguar etc, suddenly it was gone catch by IDSA, so I don't think these guys can feal secured just because it's Brazil.
Old 14 October 2003, 13:36   #20
ant512

It shows just how pointless and stupid the IDSA is. These guys can shamelessly sell CDs full of illegal ROMs without fear of the IDSA, whilst sites like the World of Spectrum, that host files with the programmers' consent, are continually hounded.