English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 February 2009, 16:30   #61
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
But the OS is doing way, way, WAY more than AmigaDOS could ever do.
Yeah, like wasting time on unneeded shit, looping around dead services and processes, scanning your hard drive for nothing, bloating the OS with a shit interface, expanding the swapfile for no reason whatsoever, crashing...
Old 13 February 2009, 16:36   #62
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yeah, like wasting time on unneeded shit, looping around dead services and processes, scanning your hard drive for nothing, bloating the OS with a shit interface, expanding the swapfile for no reason whatsoever, crashing...
First you complain about Amiga zealots and then you come up with this? Something doesn't compute here.
Old 13 February 2009, 17:09   #63
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
First you complain about Amiga zealots and then you come up with this? Something doesn't compute here.
It sounds about right to me - there are at least 8 or 9 services which start with Windows which can be disabled without any impact on 99% of users. Somehow M$ still insist on installing more bloatware via winblows update.
Old 13 February 2009, 17:40   #64
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
True, true

@Rabbit80
Maybe Windows 7 includes 'roles' as Server 2008 does, so the typical 'Use office, internet and some video/audio software' user gets a slim profile. On the other hand, maybe not
Old 13 February 2009, 18:13   #65
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
It sounds about right to me - there are at least 8 or 9 services which start with Windows which can be disabled without any impact on 99% of users. Somehow M$ still insist on installing more bloatware via winblows update.
I can only speak about XP here (as I couldn't/can't really stand Vista) but if you spend a bit of time to configure it properly, it runs pretty well. The uptime of my PC is 42 days, I somehow wonder how that can be possible after reading Akira's post... For someone complaining about zealots it's quite funny to post such "not exactly correct information" (I censored myself here!).
Old 13 February 2009, 18:25   #66
Ed Cruse

I think the only thing wrong with the Amiga is simply the lack of money being thrown at it, little developement compared to Windows. It's still a hell of an OS though, a very solid foundation that a lot can be built on. It's very efficient, very flexible, and fairly simple. It was built back when computers were actually fun and did what you wanted instead of what they want. Everytime I try and do something I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get around Windows because it stops me on everything I try. The Amiga just lets me do it.

With the Amiga I can simply copy all the files from a running OS, you don't have to use a special backup program. If I want to move a program to another directory or a flash drive I can with little effort to get it running again. The list just goes on and on, the Amiga is just way less convoluted and much more flexible and I can pretty much do what I want.

The way I invision the Amiga OS and Windows is like this. The Amiga is a very large, very strong, steel reenforced concrete foundation with a little shack sitting in the middle of it. Windows is the Sears tower sitting on a very weak crumbling foundation and they have to use many guy wires to keep it from falling over.

Now don't get me wrong, because of the money being spend on Windows, it's generally much more powerfull then the Amiga, but the Amiga is much more fun. I just write the programs I need which is also fun.

As far as protected memory goes, I feel that's a disadvantage. It just makes it easier for stupid bugs to hide and eventually raise their ugly heads. Running Enforcer and Mungwall while developing on the Amiga, it's pretty difficult to have stupid bugs. Back in the days when everybody was logged onto main frames and writing and testing programs, it was necessary. Now days the worst case would be servers, but even with servers people log onto the server program not the OS, you can only do what the server program lets you do. If the server program is bug free then no problems. Considering how many times I've had problems with servers over the years I'd say there's quite a few bugs hidding in them. The bugs are protected.
Old 13 February 2009, 18:31   #67
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
The uptime of my PC is 42 days, I somehow wonder how that can be possible after reading Akira's post...

Yeah pretty unstable...
Old 13 February 2009, 18:41   #68
Amiga1992

Quote:
Something doesn't compute here.
Yup, your comment.

I didn't say Amiga OS is the best shit in the planet ever... I just pointed to the fact that modern OSes, most of them, are a complete pile of dog shit, specially Windows XP. I don't have most of those problems with OS X. Uptime? Damn, I forgot the last time I turned off my Mac.

If something is worse than Amiga zealotry, is defnding Windows.
Old 13 February 2009, 18:42   #69
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
It's the most beautifully conceived desktop OS ever written!

That's not to say it doesn't have it's (major) limitations for the present day but as a well put together example of how a (semi)real-time, functional, expandable, low-overhead, OS should be done you could do far, far worse...

...I'd go as far as saying that the only OS that betters it is by QNX but sadly that's never really been targeted at desktop users.

BeOS - similar 'ethos'
RiscOS - An alternate example for how an OS should be done, but then I would say that.
Those are the three.

And yeah, XP is stable after 16-odd years of development. Thing is, AmigaOS hangs if you run a buggy app. Don't run the app, and you're fine. XP can hang at any time for any reason, about once a week.
Old 13 February 2009, 19:17   #70
J.Tramiel

The things I liked about AmigaOS (Workbench 3.x):

* Loads the whole system (newicons and all) in 6 seconds flat
* True Multitasking (none of this dual core shit)
* Nice stability
* Great compatibility with older (a500/a600 apps)
* No stupid virtual memory swapfiles
* Workbench was free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
The uptime of my PC is 42 days, I somehow wonder how that can be possible after reading Akira's post...

Yeah pretty unstable...
Huh, any fool can turn their computer on and leave it running without using it - that doesn't mean it's stable.

Last edited by J.Tramiel; 13 February 2009 at 19:24.
Old 13 February 2009, 19:46   #71
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I didn't say Amiga OS is the best shit in the planet ever...
When and where did I say you did?

Quote:
I just pointed to the fact that modern OSes, most of them, are a complete pile of dog shit, specially Windows XP.
You didn't write "facts", you just posted random bs without proving any of your claims.

Quote:
I don't have most of those problems with OS X.
I knew it. We have a Mac zealot here.

Quote:
If something is worse than Amiga zealotry it's a Mac zealot unable to read. I did not defend Windows, I just stated facts. There is a difference.
Old 13 February 2009, 19:51   #72
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Tramiel View Post
Huh, any fool can turn their computer on and leave it running without using it - that doesn't mean it's stable.
Yeah, and where did I write that I leave it running without using it? I hope you don't earn your money as clairvoyant as you're pretty bad at it.
Old 13 February 2009, 19:54   #73
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Tramiel View Post
Yeah like I don't use my PC
Old 13 February 2009, 21:30   #74
AmigaFriend

Quote:
I knew it. We have a Mac zealot here.

I just use Windows because of TWO things: Games, and emulators (to play games)
Old 14 February 2009, 00:19   #75
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

I find that Winblows has to be restarted occasionally - just so I can install security updates! Why cant they make em install without taking 15 mins and a 5 min restart?

(OK 5 mins is exaggerating - my XP install currently takes 24 seconds to boot - not including my ridiculously slow BIOS/RAID which takes 30 seconds)
Old 14 February 2009, 06:38   #76
vodley
Zone Friend

This thread inspired me to take out a little time for reading about the author of AmigaOS ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sassenrath )

I feel AmigaOS engages me in a way that shows a respect and consideration for my own creative intelligence.
Old 14 February 2009, 09:19   #77
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Yup, your comment.

I didn't say Amiga OS is the best shit in the planet ever... I just pointed to the fact that modern OSes, most of them, are a complete pile of dog shit, specially Windows XP. I don't have most of those problems with OS X. Uptime? Damn, I forgot the last time I turned off my Mac.

Yeah!!

My 2 cents: anyone using an Amiga (or Atari ST, or 68k Mac, etc) as their primary machine nowadays is utterly retarded and should be beaten to death.
Old 14 February 2009, 09:52   #78
Amiga1992

Quote:
If something is worse than Amiga zealotry it's a Mac zealot unable to read. I did not defend Windows, I just stated facts. There is a difference.
Oh! you insult me more than once!
This is a subject dear to you, right? Certainly worth gettiing riled up for. ...
Go make love to whatever stupid system of choice you have... I'll get on with real life and ignore this thread, mkay?
Old 14 February 2009, 10:19   #79
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
My 2 cents: anyone using an Amiga (or Atari ST, or 68k Mac, etc) as their primary machine nowadays is utterly retarded and should be beaten to death.
Or alternatively: if that is what anyone wants to do and they like it, just let them get on with it. Simple really.
Old 14 February 2009, 12:00   #80
off1k

ahhh the AmigaOs, what great memories I have of it, sadly though I hardly touch it these days, I occasionally hook up my real Amiga and have a bit of a play and run winuae in only a basic setup and not like I used to.

Best things about AmigaOS for me are

- it was/is just plain enjoyable and fun especially after you know the basics
- is slim, has good speed considering cpu speeds at the time
- is highly configurable and feels like you are in control
- some great apps like dopus and snoopdos and many others
- draggable screens with multiple resolutions on the 1 screen at the same time
- great preemptive multitasking
- the assign command
- was a fairly individual OS aswell, what I mean by that is many peeps made their OS look and work quite different from each other, something you dont see as much today with XP/Vista and the like.

I was impressed with Os4.0 after seeing it run for the first time on a Amiga4000T with a G3 @ 800mhz under the hood, seemed to be quicker at normal OS environments than XP on my E6600 @ 3.4ghz, I could be just dreaming that up as I couldnt compare them side by side.

I dont have any real issues with XP/Vista except the multitasking can get a bit shitty at times and a couple of other minor probs but the thing that grinds me the most is I still think everything (computering wise) is waaay too slow considering the hardware we're running.
I expect a Pc with a current OS and current hardware to boot up within a few seconds, multitask instantly and shouldnt be made to bloody wait unless its a highend compression task or something similar, anything less is just not good enough! and theres no excuses.

If only Amiga didnt fall on its arse and was still developing the OS and hardware, I think the Amigas OS would be the very close to what I expect today but sadly nope and never will.

Wheres my holographic 3d screen with 3d OS in full colour and virtual keyboard and pointing device