English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 October 2005, 02:40   #1
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Hooooo Micronik Z3i 6860 V6.8

Hello there my fellow amigans, I have a good one to test you all, BTW I really could use some knowledge.

1. getting a *specific dms file to play ball and un-dms* (included)

2. power pinout on board (see pic [included] )

I have scoured the world it seems to get specific info on this revision v6.8 since it has 3 PCI and 2 ISA as well as 4 ZIII ports and finaly 1 ZII port.

Sooo Here is my problem:

I have beaten and abused http://amiga.resource.cx and managed to find a driver disk in dms format.

when i try to depack this on my emulator it doesn`t even bother just flyes through the 80 tracks, makes up a load of crap and does not ouput any data ( i have used dms for donkey's years so trust me it is not that ) *besides i tested it with a cyber vision dms file too and it works perfectly. combining this i have also tried other downloads from other sites of this dms file.

I have included the dms file on this attachmet my hope is i messed up some where obvious that some one can poke me in the eye with. If some one managed to depack it.. could the zip it and zone it ? there my be an ice cream in it for you.... maybe....

okay next problem.. recent upgrades require me to use a more juicer power supply so i require the power pinout on the board i am assuming it is the same as the tower plug pins (see pic) but as we know assuming makes an Ass -out of - U -and - Me and with 300watts on the line.. i am quite happy to be humble and ask if anyone knows... would appreciate it.

okay final last Q

I understand the PCI is unavailable to the amiga in any way (or use a penetrator thingy [pentuim 90 on a card] ) but what about the 2x ISA ports? can they be used by the miggy?

answers on a post-card to .....

zetr0 [on] eab forums

Thanks in advance

Z.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	micronikz3i.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	9485  
Attached Files
File Type: zip microz3i.zip (70.7 KB, 272 views)
Old 14 October 2005, 07:25   #2
keropi

about the isa slots... it's like the a2000 isa slots... perhaps they will become available if you install somekind of emulator bridgeboard, like the commodore 286/386 cards...
Old 14 October 2005, 07:31   #3
Jope
-

Hi,

1) The dms image is corrupt

2) power pinout - no idea .. I seemed to understand from your post that you already have a suitable PSU? Just turn it on and use a voltmeter to see what voltage goes where.

Black is usually GND, red is usually +5, yellow is usually +12 but measure them just to be sure.

3) PCI can be made to work with a Mediator board.

HOWEVER: the mediator expects a special arrangement of Zorro and PCI for itself - on the cards, the PCI and Zorro slots the mediator goes into are parallel.. On your board they are slightly offset.

The mediator can not be bent to make contact with both the Zorro and the PCI slots - you'd probably be better off with some kind of pci slot extender like the ones sold at the www.mini-itx.com store:

however your board is pretty densely populated, so you might end up with only one usable PCI slot in the end. :-(

Maybe you need a Zorro extender too (this is something you need to solder yourself) in order to get the mediator out of the way of your PCI cards.. The positioning of the power connector is also problematic here.

And to get the ISA slots working, use a GoldenGate 2+

Please note, that in order to use PCI and ISA, you lose one Zorro slot each and one PCI/ISA slot each, because the bridgecards need to connect to both the ISA and the Zorro slots.

Also please keep in mind that in order to use a mediator here, you need a fast slot accelerator (IE. an A3000/A4000 accelerator) to enable Zorro III mode on the Zorro slots!

Last edited by Jope; 14 October 2005 at 07:36.
Old 14 October 2005, 08:29   #4
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Send a message via MSN to DoctorQ
I can´t help you with the driver disk, but I dont´t know if you will ever need, at least I had no use for it with my Z3 board....

The power pinouts can be seen in the manual for the "MicroniK PCI 1200 busboard" on www.amiga-hardware.com . Unfortunately MicroniK decided to NOT use mainstream power connectors, so you will have to adapt one yourself. Unfortunately ELBOX only has an adaptor for the opposite what you like :-(

And by the way, all zorro slots on the busboard is Zorro 2. If you install a A3000/A4000 accelerator card, then you can jumper all the Zorro slots as Zorro 3.
Old 14 October 2005, 09:01   #5
keropi

I still think that there will be no DMA in the "zorroIII" slots...
ah, and they will be slower than original the zIII
Old 14 October 2005, 09:13   #6
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Maybe this will help you. It's ,like Doctor Q said, installation instruction of the Micronic A1200 PCI board. Here the link for the PSU connector
Old 14 October 2005, 23:12   #7
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Thanks Guys, All of you are an inspiration and a wealth of knowledge...

I appreciate it...

Now if only i can find where to buy a golden gate 2.......

hmmies any ideas?
Old 15 October 2005, 13:26   #8
keropi

ebay, amibench.... lol it is pretty rare..
Old 15 October 2005, 15:03   #9
Jope
-

Well, before you go out of your way to find one, I feel I must say that real Zorro alternatives to the cards supported by the GG2+ are much faster and better than ISA cards via the GG2+.

I own a GG2+, used it with an NE2000 compatible network card.. Because of that I needed to run Enforcer so that the 060 wouldn't cache the RAM occupied by the GG2+ and also it didn't seem to be too stable.. :-)

The PCI bridge might be something worth losing one zorro slot over, but definitely not the GG2+
Old 15 October 2005, 15:44   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

deffinately food for thought,

just to inform, i have an a3k/a4k (040@25) cpu card to enable Z3 (even though its only at 80%) speed, shame about the ISA... thats a real pity. i was hoping to get some networking going again...

Hmmm i may just have this rig as a dedicated zorro ( i have a fastlane and Cyber643d may get a 2k toaster card (friend is selling one), a decent zorro sound card and zorro network card) ideas and offers on the last two lol.

I thinks i am gonna buy that ZIV PCI for my winner Z4 towered Miggy. know any one selling one at reasonable prices ?? lol
Old 15 October 2005, 19:16   #11
keropi

you must consider the g-rex for a pci solution... but then you need a bppc...
the g-rex seems faster and can be used to run morphos... not to mention the openpci project which is promising...
Old 15 October 2005, 19:30   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

see the PPC route kinda warns me off... strange as it may seem i want to have a non-ppc solution running PCI

(specifically 10/100 nic, Vodoo3 2000, a Creative 5.1 sound card and if i am real lucky a scsi / sata raid adaptor )

I have a blistering 060 (*kranked upto 80Mhz + (fear not its seriously cooled) combined with 128MB of 50ns Fast Page Memory (in two sticks = lucky find)

Pity though i had an oportuniy of a G-REX 1200 SX for £30 (45 EURO) only problem is i need a PPC add-on to go with it.

sigh.......... will i ever get PCI........... (hmmm i may quote that)

any ideas on good Zorro equivanlents for 10/100 networking and sound card ?
Old 16 October 2005, 08:03   #13
mrodfr

hello,

before my mediator, I have used for years this same hardware with the option video used for SD/FF with a picassoIV. work great with a blizzardIV 030/50.

if I rememberd well, It's possible to put cyberstorm in the cpu slot of this card (I have never found one to make that during the use of this busboard, too hard to found and too much prize) and Having ZIII.

with blizzardIV and PIV in ZII,the transfer speed is 1.8 mo/s with a test program mean lower than really ZII in a4000 amigas.(maybe little more with 1260 but not tested).

I'm sure if this hardware could run in ZIII mode, the real speed could by more or less the same like ZII speed in a4000 amigas.

the SCSI in the card is SCSI 1 and too slow. don't think to use this SCSI.

I have, without a regret, changed this hardware by a mediator and 10 time more happy to use ethertnet 100, tv card, voodoo 3 2000 with his 16mb of graphic card memory allways used and with usb2.

not losting your time by trying to use this hardware and follow suggestion of others in this threat and use mediator hardware (actually a free spider2 offered when buying a mediator at elbox). PPC could also be used with grex and not needed to connect the grex to the ppc board directly (not 100% sure. old information for me).
Old 16 October 2005, 20:48   #14
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Send a message via MSN to DoctorQ
@ZetrO

Regarding the Mediator ZIV... I have one here that I'm about to sell. I just bought it, but unfortunately my tower only allows me to use 2 PCI slots, so I will skip back to my Mediator PCI 1200 board, and hope to get hold of a Mediator SX board instead sometime in the (hopefully near) future.

Feel free to make me an offer on it, I can sell it to you with or without the Zorro busboard... (btw, it will be easier, and faster, to catch me on email, doctorq@tiscali.dk)

Oh, and everybody can feel free to make me an offer on the Mediator + Zorro busboard + PowerFlyer ZIV combo, or the parts alone....
Old 03 January 2007, 19:29   #15
cv643d

Hi,

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread but do you know the power pinout of the busboard?
Need to know since I got a busboard but has no PSU!

Thanks!
Old 03 January 2007, 19:33   #16
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

i sure do thanks to Loopos (a true hero )

I post a picie after dinner (wifie is now serving up YUM)
Old 03 January 2007, 19:56   #17
cv643d

Thank you very much if you do!!!
Old 04 January 2007, 02:16   #18
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

(i do ) *eventually*

I made my own connector base on the scan i got from loops..

heres the power connector pinout i made from the scan (works a treat)

**thanks again loopos**

and here is the original scann

hope this helps all..
Old 04 January 2007, 08:16   #19
Jope
-

Nothing at all like the P8 and P9 connectors you can find on AT power supplies..

Perhaps we should start submitting these hard to find Amiga pinouts to the hardware book? Then we can always refer people there.
Old 04 January 2007, 09:12   #20
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

to be honest, If i was going to do that my friend, I would end up re-writing the instructions for the micronik busboard as its completely CRAP *ahem*

I tells ya jopey, nothing short of a ritual virgin sacriface and some bad ass voodoo to make real sense of them de-structions....