English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 25 March 2009, 02:01   #1
jamespstevenson

Error launching WHDLoad games from Gamebase Amiga:

Hi, I've recently set up Gamebase Amiga and have installed all the screenshots/music/extras etc without a hitch.

However when I try to run WHDLoad games from the Extras menu, the WHDRun Application starts, then goes to a screen in the emulator with the attached error message:

This disk requires Kickstart version 2.0 or greater
C:Setpatch failed return code 20

I'm assuming I need to copy my Kickstart roms (which i do have) to a specific directory to get them to work, but I'm uncertain where this is.

any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by jamespstevenson; 18 March 2010 at 23:18.
Old 25 March 2009, 04:11   #2
ma693541
Computer Wizard

You need to put the correct ROMs in this path; C:\Program Files\GameBase\GameBase Amiga\WHD\Devs\Kickstarts . Read also the help.html inside the GameBase Amiga folder.
Old 25 March 2009, 12:47   #3
jamespstevenson

Thanks for your reply, I copied the ROMS to that path but when WHDRun launches, the default ROM always seems to be 1.3 - I can get it to work by hitting F12, setting the ROM config to A500+ and soft resetting, but I'm looking for a way to use the later Kickstart by default. I'll browse the help files again, but if you know off the top of your head, any advice would be appreciated! I'll post in the Gamebase thread too... thanks for your reply.
Old 25 March 2009, 14:53   #4
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Read more about skick346 on this link; http://aminet.net/search?query=skick346 , part of that archive are used by WHDRun in GameBase Amiga. You need to rename your Kickstart ROMs according to that file. You need only, in most cases only the Kickstart 1.3 and 3.0/3.1 ROMs.

From skick346 own doc file; When copying kickstart images, rename them with names of .RTB/PAT files, but
without any extension; or, vice versa, rename auxiliary files according to the
main file. All the files of one particular kickstart must have identical names
(except extensions).

IMPORTANT NOTE: There are no kickstart images in this archive! Supplied files
only allow to use standard 1.2 (33.180), 1.3 (34.5), 2.04 (37.175) and 3.0
(39.106) ROM images, which may be obtained from Commodore. There are also files
for another kickstart versions, available to official developers only. I hope
that SKick will help them to keep their work. It's only a dream for me to be an
official developer...
Old 25 March 2009, 14:55   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

That error doesn't seem as though it's anything to do with the kickstarts in devs.

Sounds as though the config file is corrupt or something as it's loading the 1.3 rom instead of 2.0+.

Are you sure WinUAE has access to all the necessary roms?
Old 26 March 2009, 12:33   #6
jamespstevenson

Thankyou for taking the time to reply, much appreciated!

I'll try renaming the kickstarts as per your guideline there (makes sense) and see if that resolves the issue. Failing that I'll check that WINUAE has access to the the relevent rom files (I'm pretty sure it does as it will run them when set up manually through the WINUAE interface.

All going well I'll be getting somewhere!

Thanks again
Old 26 March 2009, 22:53   #7
jamespstevenson

Same error, here are my settings. Please help! ; )

Hi,

I've followed your advice and still have the same problem; WHDLoad defaults to Kickstart 1.3 when launched in Gamebase and shows an error accordingly, then when I hit F12 and select the A500+ Rom from the drop menu and click Reset in the bottom right, the game loads right away.

I've included a set of images showing the stages of my problems. Also Attached is my
F:\Program Files\GameBase\GameBase Amiga\WHD\Devs\Kickstarts
window showing the renamed roms

I guess my questions are these:
  • How do I get the version of WINUAE which launches from WHDLoad in Gamebase to automatically select a compatible ROM (2.0 or higher).
  • How do I ensure these settings are saved and utilised each time.

KillerGorilla, you mentioned that there might be a corrupt part of my config file, is there a way of checking that and replacing it if it is the cause of the problem?

Thanks for your time - a breakthrough must be close!

James

PS - When i launch WINUAE without using gamebase amiga, I can get it to default to 2.0 and stay that way after restarts, so I figure it has to be something in the Gamebase Amiga setup. Thanks!

Last edited by jamespstevenson; 18 March 2010 at 23:18.
Old 30 March 2009, 13:26   #8
jamespstevenson

Thanks for all the advice, I've tried a fresh install on my work PC which works just fine so I'm going to re-install gamebase at home and follow all the advice.

It's been really interesting to discover all this - I work in the games industry as a character animator at Ninja Theory developing new titles and have only recently discovered emulation. From a purely nostalgic point of view (C64 and Amiga owner) it's great, but further to that it's really interesting to see what was achieved artistically on both machines and just how well many of those games hold up today.

I've been looking at a lot of great pixel artwork from the likes of Henk Nieborg recently and it's great to see.

Clearly a great deal of hard work's gone into developing WHDLoad and I'll certainly be registering, it's fantastic to have access to all of this gaming history.

Keep up the great work - James
Old 31 March 2009, 00:57   #9
jamespstevenson

Thanks for all the advice - a fresh install of the latest WinUAE seems to have resolved my problem. Seems I was using v.1.0 - oops!

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help.

James
Old 31 March 2009, 01:05   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Ah excellent, glad you managed to sort it!