English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 11 October 2008, 23:40   #21
BippyM
Global Moderator

No no.. just one before
Old 11 October 2008, 23:42   #22
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, and how do I send you the result? Erm, maybe IRC is not a bad idea
Old 11 October 2008, 23:44   #23
BippyM
Global Moderator

you create the datfile and send me that. I can then scan my stuff and move what I have.. Then after you have finished renaming you send me ALL renamed adf's so I can check them and then add to the dat
Old 11 October 2008, 23:46   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay dokey, now it's clear Dat will be send tomorrow morning and on reply the renaming starts
Old 13 October 2008, 18:39   #25
[idoru]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Right guys.. Here are some basic things that need to be followed in order to rename!

1. All renamers will need a collection of around 300-500 adf's to rename
2. Once you have the files you'll need to create a CLRMame Datfile of the disks you plan to rename
3. Once created send that DAT to me so I can distribute to other renamers, this means only one person is renaming that particular adf.. No need to be repeating

4. Once renamed all ADF's need sending to me so I can check naming and then create a master beta dat
5. Then I correct bippy's dat (:P)
Old 13 October 2008, 20:33   #26
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [idoru] View Post
Old 13 October 2008, 21:37   #27
PandMonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by [idoru] View Post
and i point the errors that still pass by all renamers
Old 23 October 2008, 10:22   #28
Aral
TOSEC-PIX Curator

new dats!! Count me in. I have started renaming my non-tosec and will send you a PM BippyM with a place to find dats and files
Old 23 October 2008, 10:36   #29
ami_junkie

I would love to help, I am not working at the moment

Old 26 October 2008, 15:48   #30
BippyM
Global Moderator

Guys send me dats, so we are not all renaiming the same stuff
Old 19 November 2008, 08:42   #31
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Bip

I realise asking any TOSEC related question is a dangerous thing (I've been reading all the slagging off I got for asking questions in the past in this forum) as TOSECers are rather sensitive types, but I am feeling brave.

Is there any reason why the overall DAT of all disks being worked on by renamers that you hold is kept private? I mean what harm would it do if it were public?

My view when re-reading this forum is that there are two sides here. The TOSEC/Renamers who feel undervalued and unappreciated and those Bastards (myself included) Who Criticise (TM). I suspect the latter group are born out of frustrations with TOSEC such as lack of updates to website, lack of DAT changes (as far as I can see its been 18 months since a DAT), lack of comms from TOSEC explaining what is happening (OK I admit I lost interest in following it since the website was up n down etc).

I address this post to you as you're been less likely to get cranky about it. If I make a single post about something then Comrade Idoru will accuse me of "continually whinging about it" like he's done before !!

I'll also add I do appreciate TOSEC and the Renamers. It's great work.. and anyone can ask themselves.. what else is there?
Old 19 November 2008, 16:44   #32
[idoru]

Well, it's not really private...there are dats posted in the renamers thread of unrenamed images that are being worked on...

Frankly, those who only criticise I mostly have no time for. If they spent the same energy/time trying to help (this goes for any project, not just TOSEC) or just keeping quiet if they don't like a free project, then everyone would be happier. Likewise it might be nice if people eventually understand that stuff sits untouched for large periods of time because people have real lives & spend time on things when they can/want to, and the last thing you want to do if you have limited time & will is to reply to a bunch of whiners Also that stuff in the dats can be "not very right" (trying not to specifically say "wrong" :P) as many different people have been involved over the years, some better than others.

Now that Chinese Democracy is getting released on Monday though, there's still another 12+ years to go before we're slower for another release
Old 20 November 2008, 09:44   #33
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I knew you'd rise to the bait but thanks for not taking it TOO seriously.

dunno about you but I expect Chinese Democracy to be total poo. Axl's a pensioner in rock terms now!!
Old 20 November 2008, 20:44   #34
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
is there any chance one of you bright ppl can write an idiots/noobs guide for the amiga tosec?

like what tools/apps u need, how to use them, where the dats are and how to start to help us all by renameing are own files

just a thought

even if one person makes a start I`m sure if we all add to it it would`t take 2 long to do
Old 20 November 2008, 21:11   #35
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
is there any chance one of you bright ppl can write an idiots/noobs guide for the amiga tosec?

like what tools/apps u need, how to use them, where the dats are and how to start to help us all by renameing are own files

just a thought

even if one person makes a start I`m sure if we all add to it it would`t take 2 long to do
Hi cosmicfrog,

have a look at this post : http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=284 for the newest (still WIP) version of the TNC (TOSEC naming convention)
All apps you need would be an Amiga or WinUAE and a viewer (text or hex) for the adf files.
Start the file and look for a cracktro and/or a trainer. Then load the image with Workbench and if it's a ADos image look at the files on the disk for further informations. After that you can also have a look at the image in a viewer and look for something like 'crack' if you think it is cracked, but couldn't find another info on the disk.
Well that's at least what I do After that check the latest TOSEC dat for the correct publisher and year of the game/app. Then just rename the image according to the infos you found. Oh and scanning all your files against the current dat is also very recommended
Old 21 November 2008, 03:02   #36
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
cheers cyberD for the pdf makes some intresting reading.......zzzzzzz hehehhe

but was thinkin of what tools to use to rename my current files to TNC, then sorting out which ones are already in tosec and which need to be added etc

the actual renaming of the file or files is relativle simple if some what time consuming
Old 21 November 2008, 07:41   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Now I get it cosmicfrog The 'weapon of choice' would be ClrMamePro (website seems to be down atm). Damien made a good tutorial how to rename your files with it here on the board. Maybe he's so kind to post it again
Old 21 November 2008, 16:52   #38
[idoru]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I knew you'd rise to the bait but thanks for not taking it TOO seriously.

dunno about you but I expect Chinese Democracy to be total poo. Axl's a pensioner in rock terms now!!
I didn't take it seriously at all

And yes, I expect Chinese Democracy to be pants...just like everything since Appetite (although you could make 1 reasonable album from Illusion 1/2) :P
Old 26 November 2008, 00:46   #39
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Damien made a good tutorial how to rename your files with it here on the board. Maybe he's so kind to post it again
By all means link to or quote it here if you can find my post

I'm too lazy at the moment to search through my 4,559 posts
Old 13 March 2009, 17:50   #40
Rakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
If you are interested reply here or PM me, there are rules to follow and [idoru] will continue to maintain the dats and release them but I will try and co-ordinate a few renamers and what they are renaming
I have sent at least 2 private messages to BippyM but never received answer . Do you still need help with renaming or not ?

btw. I have few ADF's that are not in TOSEC collection for sure.