English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 04 March 2018, 21:15   #381
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
Thanks emufan! I get an error
Code:
'530 Sorry, your maximum number of connections from this IP (1) has been reached.'
the server allows only one connection from one client.
so you likely try to donwload something and while doing so, you try to list another folder,
which does use a 2nd connection.
this exceeds the max number of connetions allowed.
in filezilla, for example, look at the advanced settings and reduce to 1 max connection.

Last edited by emufan; 04 March 2018 at 21:21.
Old 04 March 2018, 21:28   #382
Muadib

Thanks! I was actually using the ftp account.
But now I an logged in with my own.
Old 04 March 2018, 21:34   #383
emufan

Quote:
Thanks! I was actually using the ftp account.
But now I an logged in with my own.
ah, ok, then there were too many anonymous users online, IIRC
Old 04 March 2018, 22:46   #384
pgovotsos

Quote:
Thanks emufan! I get an error
Code:
'530 Sorry, your maximum number of connections from this IP (1) has been reached.'
from my FTP client, though, but I'll solve this somehow...
UPDATE: Fixed!

Again, thank you P, this is really amazing stuff! Eyxaristoume!
Παρακαλώ ο φίλος μου

If you are using a client like Filezilla that supports a queue, you can browse around the server, adding files you want to the queue, disconnect from the server and process the queue. This will let you download 2 files at once. Do make sure to set the preferences to limit the number of connections to 2 or you will get an error for each additional connection. Also remember that you are limited to 50GB download per week.
Old 04 March 2018, 22:50   #385
pgovotsos

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
don't get me wrong, but I did convert one of the videos using ffmpeg -i in.mpg out.mp4 - no further option.
what you get, jugding with my no more perfect eyesight, is an (almost) identical video
and you save 90% diskspace.
just try on your own, makes things faster for you and download time is reduced aswell
The tape deck and software I'm using only supports writing mpeg2 or uncompressed avi. I guess I've been a bit lazy in not converting to something else. If you want to edit the video on an Amiga there isn't (AFAIK) something that lets you edit mp4.
Old 04 March 2018, 23:10   #386
emufan

well, editing on the amiga, no, I would not want to do that
what I download I only convert to mp4 and store it, without editing.
I prefer to keep it the way you did record it.

you may just try ffmpeg, download the static versions. win32/64 and mac available.
in the console/dos simply test: ffmpeg -i in.mpg out.mp4.
Old 05 March 2018, 05:41   #387
Muadib

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
Παρακαλώ ο φίλος μου

If you are using a client like Filezilla that supports a queue, you can browse around the server, adding files you want to the queue, disconnect from the server and process the queue. This will let you download 2 files at once. Do make sure to set the preferences to limit the number of connections to 2 or you will get an error for each additional connection. Also remember that you are limited to 50GB download per week.
Thanks for the tip, done!

As for the videos and compression, I am being tempted to burning to a cd and (trying to) watching on my Amiga, just for the sake of it...!

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 05 March 2018, 19:41   #388
pgovotsos

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, done!

As for the videos and compression, I am being tempted to burning to a cd and (trying to) watching on my Amiga, just for the sake of it...!

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
When you're adding to the queue, make sure you have the directory you want the files downloaded TO open in the other window. That's the directory that will be in the queue as the destination directory. You don't have to use that directory for all of the downloads - you can have a different one for each download if you want. If you have an Amiga with USB, it'll probably be quicker and easier to copy the files to a thumb drive or USB hard drive and watch from it. That's what I do with my Amiga laptop. On the classic machines it also seems to help with dropped frames.

Edit: I love your user name. I was just watching Dune last night
Old 05 March 2018, 20:54   #389
emufan

Quote:
That's what I do with my Amiga laptop.
wait, what? laptop with emulator or something special?
Old 06 March 2018, 01:26   #390
pgovotsos

Quote:
wait, what? laptop with emulator or something special?
No, actual Amiga laptop.

Edit: I better clarify that. Of course not a Commodore made Amiga laptop but the Silent Paws ones. I usually take the 1200 or 4000 version on the road with me. I really have fun with a portable Flyer

If I ever get the time to install the Vampire and a new LCD I might start carrying the 600 one. It's so much lighter and now with the hard FPU (if it works as well as they claim) I'll be able to faster everything (pretty much) than the PPC 4000 one. I would miss having the portable Flyer though so I keep flip flopping on it

Last edited by pgovotsos; 06 March 2018 at 08:00.
Old 06 March 2018, 09:59   #391
Muadib

Quote:
When you're adding to the queue, make sure you have the directory you want the files downloaded TO open in the other window. That's the directory that will be in the queue as the destination directory. You don't have to use that directory for all of the downloads - you can have a different one for each download if you want. If you have an Amiga with USB, it'll probably be quicker and easier to copy the files to a thumb drive or USB hard drive and watch from it. That's what I do with my Amiga laptop. On the classic machines it also seems to help with dropped frames.

Let me see if I understand... One cam actually watch these mpg files on the Amiga?? Or are you referring to the normal files, like scenes, objects etc.?

Quote:
Edit: I love your user name. I was just watching Dune last night
Thanks! I had misspelled it back when I started using it on IRC and on anims, and it stayed this way, hehe!

The film by Lynch is AMAZING!! I 've watched it around 28 times. Have you watched the 3 hr long fan edited version?? It should exist on the net somewhere...

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 06 March 2018, 12:10   #392
emufan

Quote:
I usually take the 1200 or 4000 version
oh, I had no idea. someone should remake them with 2018's parts,
modern 16:9 displays.
not much info available: PAWS 1200 Paws 4000 PAWS 600
can you take some photo of the 4000 version?

#1) there were more such mobil amigas

Last edited by emufan; 06 March 2018 at 12:19.
Old 06 March 2018, 12:30   #393
Muadib

OMG! That would be a dream come true to have a real portable Amiga.

Btw, I remember a guy from AmigaHellas.gr has posted a guide of converting an A600 to a laptop...

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 06 March 2018, 12:40   #394
emufan

yeah, with the Vampire standalone we are on the right track,
but then you cannot connect the old zorro/video --> flyer/toaster cards.
maybe *two more weeks" for someone to find a solution
Old 06 March 2018, 13:59   #395
Muadib

Hehe, yeah!

No Zorro/Flyer or VT cards here, never had the money back then to buy one and no big box Amiga...

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 07 March 2018, 04:35   #396
pgovotsos

Quote:
oh, I had no idea. someone should remake them with 2018's parts,
modern 16:9 displays.
not much info available: PAWS 1200 Paws 4000 PAWS 600
can you take some photo of the 4000 version?

#1) there were more such mobil amigas
Don't want to derail the thread too much, but I'll brag a little bit

First, it's probably stretching the term to call these laptops since they are built around the original hardware. Luggable is a more appropriate label. Even though both the 4000 models have custom motherboards, they are still by no means light or small - still need room for full size Zorro cards.

The Silent Paws 4000 and QuickPak 4000 I have are both the final preproduction versions from just before mass manufacturing which never happened for either. They both look very much like the later model Compaq luggables. Picture a rectangular cube a bit wider than a keyboard and about 10" tall and deep.

Since we don't travel much anymore - we spend most of our time with doctors these days - all of them are packed away at the other house. The 1200 was sufficient when I wanted to travel with a "real" Amiga although the weight has become too much for me anymore. The cases for these are all 3/32" metal with thicker reinforcement in some areas. NOT light I can't remember the last time I actually brought one with me on a trip. Usually it's just a Mist if the grandkids are along or a laptop with emulator any more. Because of these options all of the "real" Amiga laptops are in storage sadly.

I'm actually pretty happy with how I was able to configure the 1200. It has one of Stan's upgraded BPPC 330MHz with SCSI and a BVision card, Indivision and a FastATA for OS4 since it doesn't support the BPPC SCSI. With the clockport splitter, I have a RapidRoad (I really wish there was a better, faster USB option for the 1200), Delfina flipper and Prisma Megamix installed. The audio from the Delfina, Prisma, external CD and native are mixed together to gold RCA jacks replacing the original ones. I either use headphones or speakers mounted to the sides of the lid. 10/100 PCMCIA network card - wired or wireless as the location demands. A great wireless Logitech trackball with its receiver on one of two external USB ports. I use the other one for a thumb drive if I need to transfer anything. Instead of physical hard drives I have a DOM on the FastATA and another one on the BPPC's SCSI with an Acard. They are extremely lighter, silent with negligible power draw and heat generated compared to physical drives. I have heat sinks on them any way. The internal floppy is replaced with a slim HxC. I was thinking of removing it since I can run the floppy games from the hard drive with WHDLoad and players. For the rare time I need to use real floppies I have an external HD Power XL drive. Switchable custom Kickstart so no rebooting to run 3.1, 3.9, 4.x, and MorphOS 1.4.5. I saw a demo of MorphOS 3.9.10 running on Classic Amiga hardware. I'm hopeful, though not placing any bets on it, that will be publicly released. If so I would get this out to install it.

The Silent Paws came with a 640 x 480 LCD with relatively slow refresh and an external flicker fixer inside the lid. The flicker fixer isn't needed anymore so I removed it. The LCD was replaced with an 800 x 600 one. Not the best resolution but finding a higher resolution one that fit the existing hole exactly turned out to be difficult and I didn't want to cut the case at all. A higher resolution 10.3" LCD would probably have been impractical for my eyes anyway. It's connected to a Ratte adapter where the RF modulator was with the Indivision and BVision attached. I really, really wanted an internal CD but couldn't figure out how to do it without cutting the case so settled for a slimline external one connected to the BPPC external SCSI connector mounted in the rear expansion port. There's just enough space around it to route the CD audio cables inside to the audio mixer.

Since there's so much more volume available inside the case compared to the standard 1200 case space for parts and ventilation wasn't a problem. I could use as many risers as I needed so everything could fit without problems like the FastATA and BVision. Ventilation is fantastic since I can install the biggest heat sinks I want and as many fans as I need. Heat sinks on the DOMs, CPUs, BVision chips, all of the motherboard chips. Spacers between the cards like Delfina and Prisma. There's a big intake fan at the inside mouth of the battery compartment and three exhaust ones on the back and side. Heat is no problem at all compared to a comparably stuffed stock case.

Speaking of the battery compartment, the battery support on this thing DID exist but was ridiculous. It took two batteries about a foot long and as thick as a D cell flashlight - each one! On a stock 1200 you'd get roughly an hour of run time. Adding just a 1260 cut it to under 40 minutes. 5 kg of batteries just wasn't worth it so I keep them out and use the space for fans and wiring. It still weighs less now with everything installed than with the batteries installed.

With everything installed and running, I can use the power supply that came with the Silent Paws but only just barely. Instead I've got a Pico ATX and adapter in the power supply brick.

Not the very ultimate 1200 but close. There is enough space that I was able install a Grex with cards on flex cables. Everything worked and the case closed (barely) but cable mess screwed with ventilation and supplying power was difficult - impossible with my skills inside the closed case. It really blocked up the ventilation. Practically speaking, all the Grex or a Mediator would have given me was better graphics and USB. IMO the sound would be a downgrade as well. So I stuck with the above configuration and am quite happy with it.

On another note, I'm sorry that my uploads haven't been as much, as quickly, as I had hoped. My wife has been in the hospital four of the last five weeks with multiple Pulmonary Embolisms (blood clots) in both lungs and was finally released to a nursing home today where she will remain for probably 3+ weeks. With my cancers I always expected to go first, I'm living on borrowed time beyond the doctors' expectations after all, but we came extremely close to losing her this time. With how many clots she had she should not have survived so we are praying and thanking all the time right now. My own limited time is what motivated me to try and get everything I have uploaded but it's taken a far back seat right now. Sorry for the impact this is having on my uploading.

Edit:

Forgot to add that the 4000s were relatively modestly expanded. Fast CPPC with SCSI, Video Toaster and Flyer cards, TBC IV or Little Magic Box, VLab Motion and Toccata. All hard drives were solid state. These definitely configured more as working video editing systems, not much else

Last edited by pgovotsos; 07 March 2018 at 05:12.
Old 07 March 2018, 10:00   #397
Muadib

Really impressive what U have done about these machines!

And very sorry to hear about you and your wife! My best wished for your full and quick recovery!

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society
Old 07 March 2018, 10:41   #398
pgovotsos

Not counting spare machines laying around for parts, I've got a little over 200 fully functional and maintained Amigas. Also have many Amiga-like and clone machines - Draco, ED, Wonder and the like. I think about trying to sell some but I really go back and forth about it. I certainly wouldn't make any money since much of my collection was bought new, back in the day at original prices - many to be used for work.

I think of finding a serious collector that would display them or a computer museum. It would be difficult for a collector. I have the running machines in a 6,000 square foot set of rooms plus at least that much for spares and parts. Machines are nicely organized but unfortunately software and documentation is mostly packed away hither and yon In the end I may just establish a museum of my own for Amiga and Amiga-like systems with an endowment for my grandchildren to administer. Could be called a Commodore museum since I also have at least one of every device Commodore ever made along with lots of ephemera but I have so much from the post Commodore era that it would be an inaccurate name. Any suggestions?
Old 07 March 2018, 11:05   #399
emufan

*oh*
I only can repeat what Muadib already said. I'm very sorry to hear about the health conditions.
I wish you and your wife all the best. stay brave and best wishes for recovery.

of course thanks for the lengthy report. very interesting.
much appreciated what you did under current circumstances.

*sigh*
Old 07 March 2018, 12:09   #400
Muadib

Gods! So many Amigas!

Makes me having had just one A1200 until recently when I bought another one feel like nothing!

I 'd really line to see pictures of this paradise you describe.

Yes, creating a museum or donating to an existing one.
Another one would be to sell them and make people happy since there are people out there who crave for one. This way they get to be used and make the Community bigger.

Or conect them to the largest working Amiga Render Farm currently in existence, to stay on topic of the thread...

muadib
Amiga Raytracing Society