English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 22 November 2019, 13:41   #2401
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I did (as I said in my previous post ).
At least that bottom part. Occasionally, I've opened that bottom part to clean the ball, and inside of it, from the small dirt in it.
However, now it's stuck, and can't rotate (spin) that bottom part in order to open it, and I am afraid I will brake plastic if I try harder.
I wonder if there is any liquid, or something I can put on that part to relax it a little bit. Or some mechanic trick, to force it.... have no idea.

Cheers
Did the tank mouse ball cover bit not pull forward to unclip rather than rotate?

I suppose if you're stuck just remove the screws and take it apart from the top.
Old 22 November 2019, 14:59   #2402
NLS
Ancient User

Back to large RAM question...
Actually I think 128MB RAM on an Amiga for productivity and heavy use of multi-tasking is not THAT exotic.
Also don't forget Amiga supports RAM disk... add that to the usage and you can actually fill it up.
Old 22 November 2019, 15:03   #2403
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Did the tank mouse ball cover bit not pull forward to unclip rather than rotate?
There are both kinds of tank mouse. It is obvious which one you have when you flip it over.
Old 22 November 2019, 17:15   #2404
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I did (as I said in my previous post ).
At least that bottom part. Occasionally, I've opened that bottom part to clean the ball, and inside of it, from the small dirt in it.
Yes, but I mean completely open using a screwdriver. That might also help you with the bottom part because you can see the other side. Maybe there is so much dirt that prevents the bottom part.

RAM question:
Using RAM Disk can easily eat all the free RAM. Multitasking usage can also eat a lot of RAM. Then there is fragmentation. The less RAM you have the more quickly it fragments = slow down. Having free a big chunk of memory is sometimes useful/necessary. Some demos need at least 64MB fastram.
Old 22 November 2019, 18:04   #2405
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I suppose if you're stuck just remove the screws and take it apart from the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Yes, but I mean completely open using a screwdriver. That might also help you with the bottom part because you can see the other side. Maybe there is so much dirt that prevents the bottom part.
Yeah, that cross my mind too.
Thanks guys.

I'll try it, and hopefully, I won't brake anything.
Old 22 November 2019, 20:30   #2406
leeuwtje

Glenn, and all others, thanks for your answers. It sure helps read somebody else explains it all in another exposure. About removing WHDload completely and reinstall using the installer, I'm afraid i can't return to the old version in case it doesn't work. Maybe the RAM disk comes inhandy if i have enough RAM

About a flatscreen. Glenn, do you have url links to good amiga screens and RGB convertors? For now I will try the 60hz NTSC option, since I already have it
One question about those newest whdload slaves which run only on the latest whdload version, what is making them better then the slaves for older versions?
Old 22 November 2019, 21:44   #2407
daxb

The readme that comes with the slave tell you what are the changes. For example: http://whdload.de/games/JoeAndMac_CavemanNinja.html
Old 23 November 2019, 18:49   #2408
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
One solution does not exclude the other. Just install BetterWB and afterwards MagicWB. As MagicWB is "only" a collection of icons and a demon (that you should deactivate, as its functionality is included in OS 3.1.4) there's no problem using it both.
I haven't been able to find two of the new icons in 3.1.4. One is the workbench prefs icon, and there was another in there that currently eludes my memory. Anyone still around making MagicWB icons?
Old 24 November 2019, 14:24   #2409
mrprawns

Does a Gotek just reuse the existing floppy/power cable if replacing an internal drive in the A1200?

And the A1200 expansion slot, I'm thinking about putting a memory upgrade in there, but is this a bad idea? ie Do all sorts of upgrades go in that slot meaning if I stick say 2MB in there I've basically stopped myself from using a whole host of other upgrades (unless I throw the mem upgrade away).
Old 24 November 2019, 15:53   #2410
ajk

Yes, the floppy cables remain the same.

The trapdoor slot is for memory and CPU upgrades, and yes, you can only have one installed at a time. It is also possible to have RAM in the PCMCIA slot but it's not ideal for that use.
Old 24 November 2019, 16:10   #2411
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprawns View Post
(unless I throw the mem upgrade away).
I wouldn't worry too much about it - Amiga upgrades tend to hold their value - if you want to replace a RAM expansion with a more powerful card later on, you'll be able to get most of your money back by selling it on. If you're going to get a RAM upgrade though, don't bother with an old 2MB card. The difference in cost between that and an 8MB card will be very little, so no point in going for less than 8 (which is more or less the maximum).
Old 26 November 2019, 18:58   #2412
slaapliedje

What is the difference in MUI with the key and without the key? This still effect 5.0 open source version?
Old 26 November 2019, 19:39   #2413
nogginthenog
Amigan

MUI has a highly customisable look. If I remember correctly without a keyfile you cannot save these customisations. Never used MUI 5.
Old 26 November 2019, 19:43   #2414
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
MUI has a highly customisable look. If I remember correctly without a keyfile you cannot save these customisations. Never used MUI 5.
Pretty sure you can save them, you just can't use some of them. I don't know, I have had a purchased key for many years for it, back when you still could buy keys for it and MagicWB.
Old 27 November 2019, 00:08   #2415
Daedalus

You can't save the appearance settings for the core classes if it's unregistered, but you can save them for any extra classes (since they provide their own preferences). This is the same for MUI5, though you can still use an old MUI 3.8 keyfile with the MUI 5 release.
Old 27 November 2019, 02:39   #2416
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
You can't save the appearance settings for the core classes if it's unregistered, but you can save them for any extra classes (since they provide their own preferences). This is the same for MUI5, though you can still use an old MUI 3.8 keyfile with the MUI 5 release.
Thanks for clarifying. Would be nice if people could buy new keys. Glad I got mine when I did.
Old 30 November 2019, 17:11   #2417
jolly11

talking about conversions from 8-16 bit to amiga..was atari st (games/programs..) the most easy to convert? and for the commodore 64's games not converted to amiga, how much difficult is to convert to and how much long could it take for a single game?
Old 30 November 2019, 17:29   #2418
NLS
Ancient User

Atari ST to Amiga. Yes, for games. Assembly parts could be almost identical. Graphics easy to port. Other programs? I am not so sure. Depends on the type of program I guess.

C64 to Amiga. This is no "conversion". This is writing from scratch for everything. Code, gfx, sound.

Time estimations, who can tell? How can this be generalized.
Old 30 November 2019, 18:39   #2419
jolly11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Atari ST to Amiga. Yes, for games. Assembly parts could be almost identical. Graphics easy to port. Other programs? I am not so sure. Depends on the type of program I guess.

C64 to Amiga. This is no "conversion". This is writing from scratch for everything. Code, gfx, sound.

Yeah, you're right, just to clarify: how difficult and how long could take to convert a game from c64 to amiga just porting it (basically: make a commodore 64's game working on amiga without emulator) not in terms of doing better gfx etc.
Old 30 November 2019, 20:09   #2420
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post

If I were to guess, porting something from GEM/AES to Workbench and vice versa couldn't be a terribly easy task, considering a lot of software that was born on the ST then got ported to the Amiga, then got ditched on the ST (like Pagestream) must have been non-trivial, or they probably would have still supported the ST. Granted maybe they just gave in to Calamus? On that note, has anyone bought Pagestream 5 for the Amiga (either 68k or 4.1?) I was thinking about doing so, but would be happier if you could buy it once and get it for all platforms instead of me finding out it'll only work in Windows (the Linux version's demo is broken on modern systems because it uses an old version of GTK...)

More on topic of ports, would be nice to see Phantasie II released on the Amiga to complete the trilogy...