English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 06 February 2004, 10:36   #1
Tim Janssen

Eek Sword of honour - is it THAT short?

Last night I wanted to grab some screenshots of Sword of Honour. I played this flick-screen beat 'em-up until the point where I entered the gate of a village (see pic). Here I climbed up a huge wall, battled a tough samurai, walked to the right and... the game started over again in screen 1. Strange thing is, I did not lost my inventory.

Does this game only have 15-20 screens to play through or did I do something wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swordofhonour-f.png
Views:	579
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	6368  
Old 09 February 2004, 20:33   #2
haynor666
retro maniac

No, it's damaged or badly cracked. Try WHDLoad version.
Old 12 February 2004, 09:04   #3
Tim Janssen

Arrow I guess you're right...

SOH is rather short. I've converted three magazine reviews of this game to HTML and they all stated the actual game is 'only' 50 screens large. Pity I only got 20 screens far.

I've played my version of SOH (cracked by Dytec, trained by Palace) a couple of times again to verify I have a bad copy. Instead of walking to the right in the samurai-screen, I moved up and down. Both times it resulted in a black screen.

I wonder there is a trained WHDload version of SOH?
Old 01 March 2004, 07:17   #4
Swordlord

If you can't get the WHDLoad version of 'Sword of Honour', or if you have problems with that, too, try the PC version. Do you want the link?

Was this game made by Psygnosis? By the bottom of the screen, it seems to have basically the same gameplay as 'Barbarian'.
Old 02 March 2004, 09:17   #5
Tim Janssen

Thumbs up SOH PC

Thanks for your offer Swordlord. if you can put a link to PC-SOH I would be very grateful. Pity I do not have the time to play any game now (too much real-life activities).

Funny you ask who published the game. I have converted three reviews of SOH for my site which originally appeared on paper. Amiga Format states the game is released by Kingsoft, Amiga Joker says it is by Prestige and CU Amiga says it is published by DMI.
Old 02 March 2004, 09:26   #6
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Prestige is linked to DMI (Digital Marketing International) in some way. I think it might be a label.

Sword of Honor was reviewed twice in Amiga Power - once in issue 18 on page 79 and again in issue 49 on page 54. The second time it was published by Megatronix.
Old 02 March 2004, 09:43   #7
Swordlord

You're very welcome, Tim Janssen.
Maybe you probably knew about this excellent site but, if you didn't, here it is: go to <www.the-underdogs.org>. On the left side, a few centimetres down, there are 3 boxes inside which you can type either a name of a game, company or something else (type of game?) Anyway, type in "Sword of Honour" and you'll be taken to the page with the game.

It's a DOS game, of course, so if you don't have Windows '98 (or earlier), then go to <http://dosbox.sourceforge.net> and download DOSBox, a DOS emulator for Windows that is guaranteed to play this game. (If you have problems making DOSBox work, just tell me.)

Enjoy!
Old 02 March 2004, 09:49   #8
Swordlord

So the publisher of this game is still not known?
Old 02 March 2004, 09:58   #9
Drake1009

Why wouldn't you download it if you have 98? True you can just go to dos, but there are things which still won't run in DOS and if you don't feel like tweaking, or if you have a download running it's quite a nice program.
Old 02 March 2004, 10:08   #10
Swordlord

Oh, yeah, it's true, DOSBox is a great program. And there are games that work better in DOSBox than in DOS 5.0, which I have.

But I'm just saying, if Tim Janssen has Windows '98, he can just double-click the .exe file right from Windows and probably the game will run. It takes a while getting accustomed to DOSBox, especially if you've never used DOS before and are used to working in Windows.

I know I had some problems...

But DOSBox is the single, greatest x86 emulator, because it plays most old DOS games!
Old 02 March 2004, 13:42   #11
Tim Janssen

Cool I can get it running

On my old PC, a Pentium 90 running Windows 95 v1.0.0, I am accustomed tweaking config.sys and autoexec.bat settings to run ancient games. Heck, I even managed to run Hell - a cyberpunk adventure which requires 540 Kb DOS base memory! *Hmm, I sound like an old-fashioned PC PC-geek here*
Running Sword Of Honour should cause no problems at all.

About the publisher of SOH: I think Prestige is the real publisher because they are credited in the intro screen and are from Germany (just like the game's programmers). For distribution in foreign countries they let do other companies the job.
Old 02 March 2004, 17:21   #12
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
Re: I can get it running

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen
On my old PC, a Pentium 90 running Windows 95 v1.0.0, I am accustomed tweaking config.sys and autoexec.bat settings to run ancient games. Heck, I even managed to run Hell - a cyberpunk adventure which requires 540 Kb DOS base memory! *Hmm, I sound like an old-fashioned PC PC-geek here*
Hehe.. i've used PC's since DOS v3.20

I wonder how the kids would react nowadays if you stuck a game in their hands and ask them to tweak config's and autoexec's in the quest for that missing 20K of ram in order to play some game..

Guess they would go insane..
Old 03 March 2004, 08:02   #13
Swordlord

I wish I knew as much as you two guys!

But between DOS 5.0 and DOSBox, most of the DOS games I tried worked pretty well.

However, I still prefer using MAME32, not MAME!
Old 14 December 2005, 18:49   #14
PiCiJi

Can anyone give hints for the game? I am stuck after receiving the first budda for curing the priest. I have besides the budda a necklace and claws.
What to do now?
Old 08 April 2007, 22:50   #15
PiCiJi

I would like revive this thread. I couldn't find out how to go on in this game.
I am stuck after receiving the first budda for curing the priest. I have besides the budda a necklace and claws.
What to do now? or better where to go now?

ok found it out for myself. you have to give the food to the priest, don't eat it. I have finished the game. Couldn't beat the last boss without cheat.

Last edited by PiCiJi; 10 April 2007 at 19:48.