English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 03 January 2011, 18:51   #1
2E0TMF

system.zip file?

Hi not sure if i am in the right place to be asking about this?
I am asking if anyone can extract the system.zip i need for installing classic workbench?
I have done this a very long time ago and for the life of me i can't do it anymore?
I have got the install.adf back to disk but i am struggling getting the system.zip file? I have googled and gone through the instructions but can't do it

Please can someone do the system.zip part for me pleeeeeeeeze
Old 03 January 2011, 19:21   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Much quicker and easier if you can hook up the HDD or the CF card you are using in your Amiga to your PC and then do the work in WinUAE.

If you use a CF Card then a USB card reader will work, if you use a 2.5in HDD then one of those £2 IDE-USB adapters will work a treat.

Now once you've got the HDD/CF hooked up to the PC run WinUAE and load your Classic Workbench that you already setup (I'm guessing you did it this way to make the system.zip?)

Add your HDD/CF as a Hard Drive and then use DOpus to copy the system patrition over to your HDD/CF

You can use the same procedure for all your apps/games, its much faster than using PCMCIA to transfer files onto the miggy.

Steve.
Old 03 January 2011, 20:26   #3
2E0TMF

Hi Steve

@Steve,I have downloaded the 68k classic workbench from classicwb.abime.net
I have got the amiga connected to the pc via clantoa's amiga explorer and serial cable.
I have got the install.adf transferred ok but were i think i am going wrong is the part were i have to use winuae and some how get the system.hdf file from Dopus and to the pc? or amiga?

I can't beleive i have done this before with my other amigas but totally forgot how to do it????? It can be very fustrating when you really want to get this done LOL

If you can explain how i get the system.zip from the classic wb i have downloaed i can do the rest?
Do i use the system.hdf file and some how extract it using Dopus and if so how do i do this as i can see there is an encrypt option in Dopus and i have tried this but with no success?
Old 03 January 2011, 22:53   #4
2E0TMF

Hello again :)

OK What i have done is mounted the system.hdf file and mounted a pc folder i made called system folder.I then ran winuae with the 68k classic wb.As soon as the emulated amiga boots i clicked on dopus and noticed it asks for A-program to be inserted in drive df0 so i cancel that and just drag the system folder in to the pc system folder.The come out of winuae and go to the pc system folder and right click on it to compress it.Once thats done i go to the zipped up file which is called system folder.zip??? not system.zip and thats all i have done so far as i have tried to transfer to the amiga's workbench folder but it will take like 56 minutes to transfer I know serial is slow but i need to know if i have done this correct before leaving the amiga transferring for nearly an hour to find its wrong?????
Also in the 68k 3.0 roms version classic wb why does dopus require a-program?
Old 03 January 2011, 23:11   #5
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi,

That does not sound right at all, you should not use Windows to create the Zip file as it will not preserve the correct directory and file name structure.

To create the system.zip you need to run DOpus and:

• In the left hand Window browse to the system partition, DH0: / System: etc
  • In the right window select your folder you created and mounted as a virtual drive
  • Go back to your left Window
  • You should have a list of files in and folders in System such as C, Classes, Demos, Devs, etc if you see those you are on the right track.
  • Click the blue button 'All' to select all these files and folders
  • They should all be highlighted blue now
  • Click the yellow button 'Zip'
  • A Requester will pop up
  • Type the name as "System.zip" without quotes and press OK
  • Wait some time...
  • Now use your tool of choice to transfer the System.zip to the Amiga
  • Run the install floppy you created on the real Amiga and it will unzip the System.zip
I still maintain this is an overly complex and time consuming way to setup the Workbench, if it is at all possible to connect the HDD/CF to the PC this will save you so much time because instead of going through all this all you have to do is hightlight all the files and hit copy!

I hope this helps.

Steve.
Old 03 January 2011, 23:11   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

@2E0TMF,
You need to zip up the contents of the System folder using an Amiga Zip utility from inside WinUAE to preserve the Amiga file attributes.

The file attributes in Windows folders mounted as a hard drive within WinUAE are retained only for as long as you have your WinUAE session open and then only as long as you access the folder from within the emulation. As soon as you quit WinUAE, the Amiga attributes are destroyed. Even if you have your WinUAE session running in the background and then zip up the folder using a Windows Zip utility, the attributes will still be lost.

This is because the Amiga file attributes are not fully compatible with the Windows filesystem.

You really must zip up the folder with an Amiga utility from within the emulation and then make the resulting zip file available to Windows, for example by creating the Zip file in the System folder you have mounted as a hard drive.

PS. Transferring this file to your amiga via AE using a serial cable will take a long time. I usually leave such things running overnight.

Edit: Damn! Beaten to the post by fitzsteve!
Old 04 January 2011, 06:09   #7
2E0TMF

The Dopus is probably were i am getting stuck? The version in Clantoas does not have 2 screens and there is no zip?

PS also when i do get to run the 68k classic wb in winuae the Dopus is not there? has Bloodywych left Dopus out of th 68k version? There is an option to run Dopus in the 68k version but everytime i go to click it a statement pops up to insert A-programs in DF0 ? As though i need to insert Dopus in the floppy drive?

Maybe this is why i can't zip the file due to not having a proper Dopus program?Also i thought if you can run the classic wb in winaue what you see is what you will get on the real amiga? So if there is no proper Dopus in the emulation there will not be a real Dopus on the amiga? JUST A THOUGHT! I seem to have managed most of the situation it's the Dopus and zipping that's holding me back?

Last edited by TCD; 04 January 2011 at 08:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 04 January 2011, 08:21   #8
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

In Classic Workbench 68k right click>run>dopus and yes it is included with all the packs.

The other problem may be because it was not setup right or has been corrupted. I suggest you setup Classic Workbench again from a fresh system.hdf

Steve.
Old 04 January 2011, 10:54   #9
2E0TMF

OK One more shot if this and i am binning it! I can't spend anymore time on this system.zip file!
I have double checked and re-downloaded the 68k classic wb and loaded it up in winuae and dopus does not work or is not there?
So what i have done is downloaded dopus and run it from within the 68k classic wb and on this occassion i get the double screens mentioned before!
I have on the left all the system files which is the 68k wb and on the right a pc folder for the system.zip to go to!
Now on the left side of dopus i have system files starting at the top with C i select ALL which makes them all blue.On the right there is a pc folder for the destination.Now i can't see were there is a button for ZIP???? I obviously don't just copy the system files from the left side to the pc folder on the right in Dopus? I know the system files need to be ZIPPED but how? what do i press?
Old 04 January 2011, 11:10   #10
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

The archiving commands are all setup and included with the Classic Workbench packs. Have you activated Classic Workbench with workbench Disks or ADF's?

I really don't know what you are doing wrong, maybe you should read through the Classic Workbench instructions and watch the tutorials on the CWB site.

I'd be willing to setup your hard drive or CF card for you for a fee but you would have to provide a workbench disk for legality.

Steve.
Old 04 January 2011, 13:38   #11
2E0TMF

OK I can't find any video instructions on how to do this but would be a good idea if bloodwych would have made one?
I have also got all the instructions with different methods on how to get this system.zip file but to be honest i am going mad over this I have done classic workbench installs before but that was a very long time back and how i did it GOD KNOWS! The first one i did was for the cd32+sx-1 and a 4gb hd and i still have the classic wb on there and its great Since getting the hd going on the a500+ i was not too thrilled with the boring os 3.1 wb look so with the 68k classic not the GAAE one! i was hoping to get this done!
Steve I load winuae configuration in clantoa's the first thing i do is load from the classic wb 68k.Ram i leave as it is.Rom i load kick310.rom.Floppy i load wb 3.1 main.adf.I add hard drive file system.hdf from the classic wb.Add pc drives at start up,Then add directory choose volume named PC and locate the folder i choose to install the zip to.Now this loads up the classic wb 68k and everything seems to look ok? But when i click run and the dopus comes up i click on that and it states please insert volumes A-programs in any drive

These are the instructions as i have been doing to load the classic in winuae if i have gone about it wrong somewhere please can you tell me Steve.
You would think the transferring of the install adf would have been more of a challenge but that is a breeze oppose to doing the system.zip ? I know this may be an easy task for everyone else but to be honest i can't get my head around it? I suppose if and when the penny drops i will laugh at myself but in the meantime i am stuck?
Old 04 January 2011, 13:47   #12
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

The problem is probably something to do with Amiga Fovever.

For this job, don't use that - I've never used it so I can't pinpoint the problem but here is what I would do:
  • Download and install WinUAE start with a fresh CWB 68k
  • Get yourself some proper 3.1ADF's and Kickstarts (Google is your friend)
  • Load Winuae
  • Choose default A1200 options
  • Add the 3.1 Kickstart
  • Add system.hdf as a Hard Drive
  • Hit Start
  • You should get a screen requesting a workbench floppy?
  • Follow onscreen instructions to activate CWB
  • Remove WB ADF's (F12, etc) and Reboot
  • Confirm CWB is working and you can Run DOpus
Is it working now?

If so great, follow steps on post #5
Old 04 January 2011, 16:05   #13
2E0TMF

Hi Steve

NO IT'S NOT!!! I am giving it up as a bad job,I have completely lost interest now.All i want is someone to do the system.zip file i can then do the rest.
I have searched about this system.zip and it seems i am not alone on this? Also have attached the scsi hd to the pc and trying for the life of me to get this crap done via winuae and it's not having it.

Back in the cupboard it all goes i suppose
Old 04 January 2011, 16:16   #14
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Ok I can do the system.zip and add it to the Zone, but it will be un-activated, so you will need a real Workbench Disk to activate it on the Amiga, can you do that?

I'll do the system.zip in a couple of hours for you and zone it, will update once done.

But you *must* activate it yourself.

Steve.
Old 04 January 2011, 18:11   #15
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Its done
Old 05 January 2011, 00:54   #16
2E0TMF

:
THANK YOU STEVE
I have my original wb discs but of course use backups to save them
Steve sorry for being a pain and throwing a tantrum earlier but this has been one big headache.Just digging out the A500 and doing this has been a nightmare.I have never ever been good with emulation ie.winuae i always stayed clear of it and stuck to using the real thing and obviously taking the longest route on everything.
I was really psss'd when i could not even get the hard drive going in winuae.My last thought before i saw your last post is i was going to try and get the system.zip on my a1200/mediator as it has a proper working Dopus program that has the zip button and shove the 500+ hd drive in there as a slave and get the file eventually across.Using a serial cable on the pc via Amiga Explorer is so damn slow
Anyway i want to thank you very much for posting it in the zone and i am off now to go download it and i promise i will have this done this by tomorrow and i shall post back to let you know
:@Steve
Cheers buddy

Steve i don't think i can access the zone just yet??? I will email one of the moderators

OK Steve,I have got the system.zip you did for me
Thanks once again!!! But can i say just taking a look at it you won't beleive that i had done so much messing about getting this file i had already acheived it but not realising LOL SERIUOS I had got all those files and folder from the 68k classic wb and zipped it up and called it system.zip

I am not joking What also i was doing because the file took soooo long to transfer via the serial i was transferring then stopping thinking it was all wrong.Not realising that i had got the system.file zipped properly and was good to go!

Listen thanks once again for all your time and i have been a pain but all is well now and i am using your file so i am feel more confident to go

Signing off with this one

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 05 January 2011 at 08:53. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged
Old 05 January 2011, 01:41   #17
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Glad to hear its all worked out for you!

Do let us know once you're up and running

Steve.
Old 05 January 2011, 15:20   #18
2E0TMF

Hi Steve

Cheers Steve,I have the 68k classic wb all up and running I am so happy all went well and thanks to you!
I must admit though it takes a blinking long time to setup from scratch

All is well now and i am in the process of filling the hd with whdload games in the alphabetical order with the nice games folder.
I decided to not partition the hd and use the whole hd as workbench as i originally partitioned it 200mb for workbench (DH0) and the other part for games etc.. but thought that if the alphabetical games folder is on the HD0 part i would eventually run out of space? So to not confuse matters i have used the whole hd as one I am happy with it and have plenty of space to fill.I must go and register WHDLOAD now

Cheers
Old 05 January 2011, 15:25   #19
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

How big is the HDD?

If its more than 2gb you could run into trouble! If its more than 4gb you will run into trouble!

You can always change the assign and move the 'Games' folder to DH1, DH2, etc.

There is a tutotial video on how to do it:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/tutorials.htm (first Video)

Its always advised to have a smaller boot partition as FFS validation can take a hell of a long time on larger partitions, plus if you need to re-do the Workbench for any reason its easier just to format the sys: partition and start again.

But as you say its a very slow process, the unzipping and such takes ages, that was how I setup my first one.

Now though, as I say I do it all in WinUAE as its a damn site faster

And for sure, register WHDLoad, you wont regret it.

All the best.

Steve.
Old 05 January 2011, 16:52   #20
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
If its more than 2gb you could run into trouble! If its more than 4gb you will run into trouble!
Brilliant line steve could`t have said it better