English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 27 August 2019, 17:17   #1
Retro1234
Boo

Electric Shock Composite Cable

I wanted to run a composite cable from a DVD player down the garden just temporary.

If i touch the cable nothing if I stand bare foot outside on the ground shock!

With a multimeter I think it's under 1volt and can't get any Amp reading but I was shocked in more than one way.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 27 August 2019, 19:17   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

Voltage potential differences between grounds can be thousands of volts, however the impedance is usually quite high so while it may shock you, it is usually not dangerous as a high impedance means the current will be very small. Is your DVD player connected to a large antenna/cable network (could be indirectly through a TV)? I often gets shocked when I touch the shield on those if it is not connected to my local ground somehow. If your equipment is not grounded, it could also be the mains filter in a switch-mode PSU which will put half your mains voltage on the shield. If you live in a 230V country, your desktop PC will have 115V on the chassis. Again, the impedance is very small so it is not dangerous, just unpleasant if you get zapped. If the PC is connected to ground (3-pin connector), that should take care of any unpleasantness.

My advice - try not to touch the conductive parts of the cable or wear insulating shoes.
Old 27 August 2019, 19:31   #3
Retro1234
Boo

Thanks for the Reply

Yeah I was just surprised I've never really got a shock off composite before but then I've probably always been standing on carpet or had shoes on.

I might of had a shock something similar in France but just put this down to there being no Earth/CPC but I was probably standing on a Tiled floor and both that and this device are probably meant to be double insulated and don't even connect to the CPC.