English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 February 2013, 04:06   #1
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Sabre Wulf is back! It's remake time

Quote:
It's currently 3am and this awesome remake by Space-time Games has just appeared, a game which many retro gamers of the Amstrad, C64 and Spectrum era would remember. This is Sabre Wulf developed and released by Ultimate Play The Game in 1984. You have to guide Sabreman through the maze of jungle pathways, searching for the four pieces of the Wulf amulet which will persuade the guardian of the cave to reveal the exit, but that won't be so easy!
http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/0...make-time.html

So Amiga gamers, how many of you remember this title which goes even further back in our gaming history?
Old 25 February 2013, 04:12   #2
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Just thanks. I loved to play it with my Speccy, and Ultimate was the best.
Old 25 February 2013, 10:55   #3
AmigaFriend

Yep me too. I played back then on the Speccy. All Ultimate games were the best. Great quality games and pretty damn addictive.
Old 25 February 2013, 13:49   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

There is also Sabre Wulf for GameBoy Advance but it's different game: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 February 2013, 14:35   #5
Axxy

Apart from the arcade machines around in the 70s/80s, Sabre Wulf was the first game I ever saw on a home computer, and the first game I played on a home computer. At least back then, the games were very playable and replayable, unlike most of the EA/Activision dross we get today.

Not many people can say they've lived through the computer revolution, but some of us have.

Those were the days.....
Old 25 February 2013, 15:59   #6
msantos

great!!!!!
Old 25 February 2013, 16:02   #7
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxman View Post

Not many people can say they've lived through the computer revolution, but some of us have.

Those were the days.....
I was born in 79, so clearly for me the 80's was my gaming youth up until the 90's of the Amiga. I did have an Amstrad cpc 464 but was too poor for anything other than a Green Screen
Old 25 February 2013, 17:31   #8
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxman View Post

Those were the days.....
Oh yes! I've been there too, ever since my ZX81 days. Then the ZX Spectrum. And most of all, the humble Amiga. I still miss them all. Long live emulators! Odd thing is, I'm not overly interested in todays generation of consoles, with the exception of GTA games (I love them all) and much prefer games of yesteryear.

BOT: I never completed Sabre Wulf but back in the day I think I had all the Ultimate Play the Game games with the exception of Tranz Am which I found disappointing. Used to like the amazing cassette inlay artwork too.

The remake certainly looks a major tribute to the original. Off to download and play....
Old 25 February 2013, 17:55   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Cool thanks for the heads up.

I wonder whatever happened to the other remake? It looked a lot better (in 2000!)

http://retrospec.sgn.net/screenshots.php?link=sabrewulf
Old 25 February 2013, 18:23   #10
Axxy

18.3m download, boy how things have changed...

Hard to believe the original was only 48k. muhahahahaha
Old 25 February 2013, 20:05   #11
Dunny

It's better than the previous remake, but it's a long way short of being a decent remake I'm afraid. Many features from the original which allow for more tactical gameplay are missing (such as the Natives who tell you where the amulet parts are) and the collision detection is shockingly bad compared to the Speccy version.

All in all, it's not bad - it's just a shame it's not the Retrospec remake (which won't now be completed).

D.
Old 25 February 2013, 20:42   #12
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

All in all, it's not bad - it's just a shame it's not the Retrospec remake (which won't now be completed).

D.

It's a shame that so many retro remakes have come to an almost stop, there was a real surge last year or was it the last before of new retro remakes.
Old 26 February 2013, 10:45   #13
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post

It's a shame that so many retro remakes have come to an almost stop, there was a real surge last year or was it the last before of new retro remakes.
I know the guy who was doing the Retrospec remake, and he's offered to try and source the updated graphics files so I can remake it. Hopefully I can get it done this year...

If not, I have an idea for a mario64 style camera system in a 3D gouraud/phong shaded jungle...

D.
Old 26 February 2013, 21:48   #14
Coltch

Still love to load Sabre Wulf up on my Speccy (along with Jetpac and Atic Atac).

Will give this a try to see how it compares
Old 27 February 2013, 01:22   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Its weird. Never played the game so im not biased - but the original's graphics have way more flair to me. Ah what am i saying, i love all old games more than current gen ones, with a handful of exceptions.