English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 October 2010, 22:38   #1
MethodGit

Where to find a good list of games with copylocks?

Just need to determine for instance which games use RNC and which use Protec, and whatever else. For the time being I'm assuming any game with a non-copyable track 1 (or between $1600 and $2BFF in hex terms) is the sign of an RNC copylock, unless people can confirm that this could represent anything at all?

I'm unsure about the method in which I'm IDing games this way, since Codetapper points out in his Bubble Bobble WHDLoad readme that one or two versions use Protec while another uses RNC, and all versions on SPS (except the Budget release) have a non-copyable track 1 (as evidenced by the TDIC tag left behind by WWarp).

I'm aware the Action! site has a list of protected games on the Rob Northen interview page, but I'm not quite sure how accurate it actually is (I mean, Qwak???).
Old 29 October 2010, 22:50   #2
marty
Banned

"Amiga games that use the Rob Northen Copylock Protection System.
(Note: there are other Amiga games not listed here that don't use Copylock but do use the Rob Northen PDOS disk format, Propack Compression, or Amiga Disk Routines)"

That answers Qwak
Old 29 October 2010, 23:19   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Why do you need this information? There are literally hundreds of games protected with Copylock.

If you're that desperate for the answer, perhaps emailing SPS to see if they have a ready made 'spreadsheet' with their findings so far.

I could list a whole load off the top of my head, but i'd need to know why I would bother.
Old 30 October 2010, 01:17   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

The list came from Rob Northen himself, so those companies probably paid for a copylock on each game and maybe 95% have them.

MethodGit: You can easily check by running WWarp:

WWarp GameName.wwp C 1
WWarp GameName.wwp F
WWarp GameName.wwp I

If there is a copylock, the possible keys will be displayed.
Old 30 October 2010, 02:40   #5
MethodGit

Thanks for that, CT. Though it looks as if WWarp has no information on Protec protection to date, as I tested quickly with the retail IPF of Bubble Bobble and it couldn't identify track 1.
Old 30 October 2010, 04:26   #6
MethodGit

Hang about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty View Post
"Amiga games that use the Rob Northen Copylock Protection System.
(Note: there are other Amiga games not listed here that don't use Copylock but do use the Rob Northen PDOS disk format, Propack Compression, or Amiga Disk Routines)"

That answers Qwak
(I've highlighted the important part of the passage in bold.)
Shouldn't that mean Qwak shouldn't appear, since it does not have any disk protection?

And for those confused, I think when RN mentions "Elf Quest" he really means this Elf.
Old 30 October 2010, 07:09   #7
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Protec protection is a joke, one moveq and an rts and it's dead! I'm not sure it's writable hence why it wouldn't be a known format in WWarp. Copylock is a special case since it's on so many games and knowing the keys is useful for the would-be cracker.

According to my readme for Bubble Bobble, SPS 1342 and 1343 have the copylock check. Are you sure you used the right one?
Old 30 October 2010, 22:05   #8
MethodGit

I was testing with SPS #2518 (European retail). I know the US version has an RNCL. And I'd love to take a closer look at the executable for the Jatte Hits version (mainly to see how different it is from the #2518 exe) but I don't even know how one can decrypt exes like that one.