English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 December 2011, 14:38   #41
viddi

Yes, great work, Foxman.
Old 10 January 2012, 10:13   #42
Graham Humphrey

New version of the executable released which apparently changes the way the scrolling works (I say 'apparently' because I haven't tried it yet):

http://www.glastonbridge.co.uk/mrbea...t.php?id=14451
Old 10 January 2012, 10:36   #43
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Dunno how it worked before since I only tried this on my real Amy, but the engine is great! And works with the system too.
Awesome job from the programmer, great level design and pretty nice graphics.

Wonder if it would be possible to release the engine and level editor to the public?
Old 12 January 2012, 15:36   #44
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Just played this for the first time today. Not too bad, although there are still some bugs: (I got stuck on level 2-1!)

I think a highscore table is a MUST for this game, not only because of the compo, but because it is a very easy way to stimulate repeated plays. As it is there is hardly any motivation to beat your previous score; and the only motivation comes from wanting to see the next level.

The unlimited continues is rather annoying - I think 3 should be the maximum allowed. There's nothing more boring than repeatedly going back over the same ground, dying, and having to do it all over again.

I didn't realise at first that the jellybeans work in the same way as Sonic. It may be a nice feature to have the beans bounce out of the character (like the rings in Sonic) just to indicate what has happened. So many times I've died because I thought I had beans in reserve but didn't.

Perhaps the score panel could be colour coded to represent the various elements? As the icons are all yellow at the moment it can be difficult to pick out a gem or bean total in the heat of play.

The latest version also hangs when you try to quit back to WB. - as already mentioned.

Just some ideas there. Keep up the great work.
Readers of this thread can also expect a full interview with the maker of this game on AmigaPD.com quite soon.

Last edited by lifeschool; 12 January 2012 at 15:48.
Old 12 January 2012, 16:11   #45
Graham Humphrey

Sorry to take this off-track a bit, but even with highscore tables, I think the game wouldn't necessarily be ideal for the compo because you can go back and play levels any time you like when you've completed them (although later stages have their own maps and you can't go back to the first five zones). And when you lose a life all the beans and other pick-ups 'respawn' (for want of a better word).

I've never had the bug you've described nor the game crashing on exit and I've played it loads and loads for review purposes so I've been a bit lucky I think.

I think there's a lot of graphical variety and loads of nice touches throughout the game, especially the later levels. In particular I think the special stages are tremendous and there's plenty of routes and secret bits (apparently) throughout the levels so I think there's quite a bit of motivation to go back and play it. But some of the level design itself leaves a lot to be desired in some places (leaps of faith, and in the Indian zone, spikes that pop up out of the ground with no prior warning which is pretty poor).
Old 12 January 2012, 16:26   #46
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I've never had the bug you've described nor the game crashing on exit and I've played it loads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
It crashed if I ran it from WB. If I boot with no startup-sequence and then run it I have no problems.
Mixed opinions there, but anyway, I'd like to avoid messing round with my already complex startup-sequence in order to work around crashes. There must be some kind of way to make the game quit cleanly. In other words, I feel this game could do with a little bit of final adjusting and polish - even though the author says this is the 'final' release. If this IS final, than at least have Stingray or Galahad (or whoever) take a look at making a proper working hd slave for it....

Last edited by lifeschool; 13 January 2012 at 15:20.
Old 12 January 2012, 17:12   #47
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
The unlimited continues is rather annoying - I think 3 should be the maximum allowed. There's nothing more boring than repeatedly going back over the same ground, dying, and having to do it all over again.
I agree,I think it is essential! ,I can not stand constantly dying and it would be nice to choose an easier level.

Btw I have not noticed any changes with the new version.

Last edited by frikilokooo; 12 January 2012 at 17:18.
Old 14 January 2012, 12:10   #48
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Hello! Glastonbridge here!

If you find any bugs in Mr Beanbag, please report them on our website here
http://www.glastonbridge.co.uk/mrbea...t.php?id=14454

The falling through slopes bug is known about, but I still have no clue why it happens. It isn't a bug with "level 2-1" but can happen on any steep slope apparently at random. The worst sort of bug! Mr Beanbag's collision with the ground is the oldest bit of code in the whole game, being as it is a direct port of the original AMOS code that I've barely touched in the last 15 years, so it could probably do with a complete re-write.

I'm puzzled at the complaints about infinite continues however, if you don't want to continue you could always just select "new game" instead of "continue game" at any point you like.
Old 14 January 2012, 19:43   #49
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Hi Amy, I like unlimited continues, dont worry
Old 14 January 2012, 20:39   #50
nujack
Zone Friend

I like the unlimited continues too, but a password-system for each level/world when you restart the game would be very cool. I don't have so much time to start again from the first level when I start the game again and you need much time too reach the last levels in this beautiful game.
I like this game very much and I'm very happy that it was released after such a long time. Would be cool to see similar productions in the future.
Old 14 January 2012, 22:02   #51
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujack View Post
I like the unlimited continues too, but a password-system for each level/world when you restart the game would be very cool.
There is a password system, when you select "continue game" you can read or change the code.
Old 15 January 2012, 14:03   #52
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I'm puzzled at the complaints about infinite continues however, if you don't want to continue you could always just select "new game" instead of "continue game" at any point you like.
I don't know any Amiga games that you can cheat without secret codes or something similar so I would like a version without continues
Old 16 January 2012, 21:42   #53
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by frikilokooo View Post
I don't know any Amiga games that you can cheat without secret codes or something similar so I would like a version without continues
I put a restart code system in because I was conscious of how hard most people were finding the game. I thought if you could just retype the code in every time I might as well just have unlimited continues to save people the bother. It seems you can't please all of the people all of the time...

I remember a number of Megadrive games had unlimited continues though, Donald Duck Quackshot did, I think Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion did as well, if memory serves me correctly.
Old 17 January 2012, 00:28   #54
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
I remember a number of Megadrive games had unlimited continues though, Donald Duck Quackshot did, I think Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion did as well, if memory serves me correctly.
It's not the same.I've played a lot Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion on Game Gear and the levels are huge however Mr.Beanbag levels are very short.I can not understand how you can restart from the second level when the first level can be completed in less than two minutes! I think that Mr.Beanbag is divided in some worlds,the logical would be a password for each world in my opinion.
Old 17 January 2012, 00:36   #55
Amiga1992

Mrs. Beanbag: Great work on Mr. Beanbag, people. Just do it whatever way you care, it's a great development on the Amiga scene, perhaps one of the two only serious game developments of late for the classic Amiga (being Tracker HEro the other one).

If you want unlimited continues , go ahead and make it so Perhaps you can design some impossible-to-finish levels too, to stuck in the naysayers
Old 17 January 2012, 09:08   #56
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Mrs. Beanbag: Great work on Mr. Beanbag, people. Just do it whatever way you care, it's a great development on the Amiga scene, perhaps one of the two only serious game developments of late for the classic Amiga (being Tracker HEro the other one).
And Alien Fish Finger 1.31, fo course
Old 17 January 2012, 09:22   #57
Cammy

That seems like a low, backhanded way of putting down everyone else's Amiga game projects, Akira. It's fantastic that Mr. Beanbag is closer to completion than a lot of others, but remember it was started years ago too. Tracker Hero is also great, but it's not the only other serious game development of late.
Old 17 January 2012, 10:36   #58
frikilokooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
That seems like a low, backhanded way of putting down everyone else's Amiga game projects, Akira.
I don't feel alluded when someone doesn't use the quote.I'm just giving my opinion constructive,I don't mean to offend anyone and I've played Mr.Beanbag demo before the most people and I like it.About Alien Fish Finger better not to talk.

Last edited by frikilokooo; 17 January 2012 at 10:43.
Old 17 January 2012, 15:24   #59
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
And Alien Fish Finger 1.31, fo course
BUt that's a 1995 game. I don't understand really. I haven't tried it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
That seems like a low, backhanded way of putting down everyone else's Amiga game projects, Akira.
No way, that it is not.
I think good quality in a game is essential, and of course this game has been years in development, but most importantly, it has been started with the right mindset: to do it like a pro game. Coded in ASM, nice level layouts, and the fact that it takes timne before new versions come out means the creator(s) have self quality assurance controls as not to let any old shit come out there.

I'm not even referring to how close to completion this game is. It was already great when it was released as a simple Halloween demo. I am talkinbg about quality assurance.

In all, my comment is for other people to take example from these masters and put up their game.
Old 17 January 2012, 15:35   #60
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
BUt that's a 1995 game. I don't understand really. I haven't tried it though.
Seems like you missed the update : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58134