English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 December 2009, 21:52   #1
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Sega Saturn MK1 screws

Anyone any idea what size & pitch screws a MK1 Saturn has? I took mine to bits a few years ago to fit Region & 60Hz switches & a modchip. Finally got round to doing it (pictures to follow if anyone is interested) and I've misplaced them.

Maybe you've just taken yours apart or you've got some spares etc you can show me so I can hunt around for some alternatives.
Old 16 December 2009, 02:05   #2
RMK

Can't help you with your quest for screw details unfortunately. However, I'd be interested to see some pics of your mods.
Old 17 December 2009, 22:36   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Anyone any idea what size & pitch screws a MK1 Saturn has? I took mine to bits a few years ago to fit Region & 60Hz switches & a modchip. Finally got round to doing it (pictures to follow if anyone is interested) and I've misplaced them.
Last year, shortly before GameStation pulled out of the retro-gaming business, I bought a secondhand MK1 Saturn console from a local branch but it was seriously faulty so I returned it (whereupon they exchanged it for an immaculate, boxed MK2 ).

I visited that shop again today and enquired whether they had any remaining old stock consoles from that time, whether working or not, but it seems they have no Saturns, unfortunately.

I realize it was a long shot, but I figured that if they had kept that old console, I might have been able to pick it up for next to nothing, and that would have provided you with an entire screw set (I'm good like that ).

Now, the obvious question is that I have two MK2 Saturns and could strip one of those and provide you with the information relating to the MK2 screw set, but how useful would that be to you?

If you wish, I could take some pics of a partially stripped MK2 console to help you make that decision.
Old 17 December 2009, 23:03   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I thought I had found an envelope with screws in but I *think* these are all the screws from an A600?

Old 18 December 2009, 00:01   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I have two MK2 Saturns and could strip one of those and provide you with the information relating to the MK2 screw set, but how useful would that be to you?

If you wish, I could take some pics of a partially stripped MK2 console to help you make that decision.
Quote:
I thought I had found an envelope with screws in but I *think* these are all the screws from an A600?
Hmm...

I don't happen to have an A600, so I guess I should take that as an "I'm not interested, thankyou.", then.

You sure know how to blunt people's enthusiasm, Alex.

Last edited by prowler; 18 December 2009 at 00:34.
Old 18 December 2009, 00:55   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Don't disassemble your Saturn unless you are doing it anyway.

I can continue Googling for Mod-Chip installation guides see if I can work out the screws from that.
Old 18 December 2009, 14:29   #7
Allen1

The 4 self tapper type screws for plastic and the 2 screws by themselves may be for an A600 but the rest of them do not look like they belong to an Amiga at all or maybe a couple could fit the floppy drive?
Old 18 December 2009, 14:51   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

What made me think they were A600 was perhaps the long ones might be to hold the floppy drive.
Old 18 December 2009, 17:14   #9
Allen1

I have only opened my A600 to install a CF drive (about a month ago), there was no need to remove the floppy drive so I don't know the length of the screws but I would guess that they would have a length similar to those at the back of the picture. There isn't that much room inside the case to use those screws at the front of the picture from what I can remember.
Old 19 December 2009, 06:03   #10
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Quote:

Maybe you've just taken yours apart or you've got some spares etc you can show me so I can hunt around for some alternatives.

No sorry can't help u here.