English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 12 December 2008, 23:28   #1
prowler
Global Moderator

Latest posts menu option.

I would like to see the "Today's Posts" forum menu option replaced by a more flexible "Latest Posts" or "Recent posts" option instead.

I try to visit the forums at least once in every 24 hours, but when I am not able to, I find that it is difficult to catch up with all the threads I have an interest in when "Today's posts" goes back not quite far enough.

It would probably not be sufficient to implement a "Posts since last login" for Registered users because of the chance of being logged off whilst temporarily visiting other sites and no forum activity is detected - even with "Remember Me?" enabled.

I apologize if this has been tried or suggested before. If so, I am not aware of it, as I have been a such a regular forum visitor only since I registered in August of this year.

If modifying the search parameters for this option is not a good idea, then maybe some other user(s) could suggest a different solution to this problem?

I would not wish to subscribe to all threads I am interested in; I get enough email as it is!

Thankyou to the EAB administration for the opportunity to post this request.
Old 13 December 2008, 00:08   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
From what I understand, what you are looking for is already implemented, as 'show unread posts' (implied 'since your last visit').

I am a bit confused by the part of your post about chances of being logged off though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unread tournament.png
Views:	267
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	19239  

Last edited by lilalurl; 13 December 2008 at 00:14.
Old 13 December 2008, 00:13   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Wow, thanks, lilalurl, that's it!

I just hadn't got around to trying all the features yet...

Sorry.

[Edit] When I am logged into EAB and open another website in another instance of my browser, I find that if I later return to the page I had been viewing on EAB, then sometimes the "You last visited" entry is updated when I refresh it. This would imply that I had been logged off in the meantime, although the cookie saved in my web cache would have logged me back in again automatically.

Last edited by prowler; 13 December 2008 at 01:15. Reason: Added explanation of what I meant by being logged off.
Old 13 December 2008, 01:25   #4
lilalurl
Global Moderator

I don't know exactly how it works but I think I see what you mean.
Always thought either the browser or the server checked periodically when you are logged in and acts accordingly, updating the last visited information.

I usually use 'show unread posts', open all the threads I am interested in, read them and in the end leave no EAB-related tabs opened, so I guess it's a sort of way to circumvent unwanted updating of the last visited info.
Old 13 December 2008, 22:32   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

I suppose the only sure way around the possibility of being logged out when you're browsing other websites whilst logged in to EAB is to replace the "Remember Me?" option with a "Keep Me Logged In Until I Log Out" one!
Old 14 December 2008, 03:59   #6
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Do you mean you are sometimes actually logged out during a browser session?
Meaning you have to enter your nickname and password again?

I didn't really think about the 'you last visited' part of your previous post.
Did you refer to 'Return to the page you were previously viewing'?

If that is so, I believe you should check the cookie settings of your browser.

I almost never log out (except when the cookies are deleted by some temporary folders cleaner software), only close the browser tabs/windows.
Old 14 December 2008, 22:31   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

I'm not sure if I'm actually logged out while I'm browsing other sites and no forum activity is detected for a while, it's just that when I eventually come back to the page I had been viewing (by using the 'Back' button or by closing all subsequently opened instances of my browser, the "You last visited" entry is sometimes updated when I refresh the page or navigate to another page on EAB. I don't have to re-enter my login details when this happens, and I assume this is because the cookie saved in my web cache is able to log me back in again automatically.

On the other hand, if I take an overly long time to prepare a new post while I have the "Reply to Thread" page open, sometimes when I hit the "Submit Reply" button, I am told that I cannot post because I am not logged in. Then I do have to enter my username and password again.

I have definitely got cookies enabled. However this behaviour seems normal to me. I was just wondering if there's anything which can be done about it.

Maybe it is unrealistic to hope for a "Keep Me Logged In Until I Log Out" button, because this might result in too many "ghosts" being logged in.
Old 15 December 2008, 14:34   #8
DH
Global Moderator

This happens to me too, If I have had no user activity on EAB for say 10+ mins, I am automatically logged out, regardless if I'm browsing other sites etc.

This is a bit inconvenient for me to have to punch in my username & password again, and find out what I have read to what I havent but I am used to it now. I consciously refresh the EAB page regularly to prevent the auto log out.

Is this an EAB thing or a browser thing??
Old 15 December 2008, 15:18   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Is this an EAB thing or a browser thing??
Did you check the 'Remember me' checkbox when logging in? When I'm away for more than 10 minutes and click on 'Today's Posts' I can see that I was logged out (The 'line' with new posts have moved), but don't have to enter my name and password again. It should definitely be possible with FF that you don't have to log in again
Old 15 December 2008, 15:31   #10
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'm always logged in.. Well unless I am at work
Old 15 December 2008, 15:34   #11
DH
Global Moderator

For my security from the wife, I said no to remember me 'cause if she reads some of the stuff I've put on here I would think she'd murder me

It's not a problem, I'll just have to put up with it for now, maybe when I check all my posts and edit any damning evidence towards the wife, I'll reset it to remember me
Old 15 December 2008, 15:35   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
For my security from the wife, I said no to remember me 'cause if she reads some of the stuff I've put on here I would think she'd murder me

It's not a problem, I'll just have to put up with it for now, maybe when I check all my posts and edit any damning evidence towards the wife, I'll reset it to remember me
Ah I see So next time don't blame your browser or EAB but... you know
Old 15 December 2008, 17:04   #13
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
oh no more wife bashing
Old 15 December 2008, 21:18   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Ah, I see. So it's not just me then!

Well, maybe it would be possible to increase the time allowed to type in replies to threads, etc. before being logged off, please?

This would help to avoid what happened here, for instance:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=487841&postcount=16
Old 15 December 2008, 21:22   #15
Graham Humphrey

Well there shouldn't be any problems with "Remember Me?" enabled, certainly I've never experienced that myself.
Old 16 December 2008, 23:40   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Well there shouldn't be any problems with "Remember Me?" enabled, certainly I've never experienced that myself.
But that's just my point, Graham. It does happen to me with "Remember Me?" enabled!
Old 16 December 2008, 23:45   #17
Graham Humphrey

Oh yeah, so you said

/me goes for a lie down...
Old 07 March 2009, 00:09   #18
Supamax
Da Digger :)

I, too, find the auto-logout very annoying.

Is there a way (or can it be implemented, like other websites do) to be logged in until the user decides to log out?
Old 07 March 2009, 00:12   #19
BippyM
Global Moderator

I'm logged in permanently I think!
Old 07 March 2009, 00:16   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
I'm logged in permanently I think!
Same here. When I open my browser and go to EAB I don't have to enter anything. Which browser do you use Supamax?