English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 27 June 2002, 13:32   #1
Tim Janssen

Question Kosmos

I am looking for a game called Kosmos or Cosmos which is published by a company called Odyssey. The game, which looks like a PD Asteroids clone, was reviewed by Amiga Joker in May 1992.
Does anyone know where I can find it?
Old 02 July 2002, 08:07   #2
Tim Janssen

Red face Kosmos revisited

Ooops. It seems I was a bit confused when requesting the game. I have mixed up the games Kosmos and Space Wars. - I was actually requesting Space Wars which is a CDTV title.
Both games look very much the same and were reviewed in Amiga Joker, May, 1992.
Does anyone recognize these titles and knows where I can download it?

Here is a scanned review of Kosmos:
Old 02 July 2002, 08:08   #3
Tim Janssen

Post Space Wars

... and a review of Space Wars.
Sorry, I don't have the time to translate the text into English.
Old 02 July 2002, 10:53   #4
RetroMan

Hmmm, I´m also missing Space Wars in my CDTV collection, so I would be glad if someone could help out here

Anyway, I also changed the title of this Thread .....
Old 02 July 2002, 15:02   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Kosmos review

Hey, it's about the strategic conquest of the galaxy again! I'm the perfect cast for that, because that always interests me, even though I have to conclude that the conquest is insipid, that the street is bumpy and that the milk is sour...

For, the Kosmos from Keim Software is nothing but a spiritless AMOS clone of the nonetheless intolerable "Reach For The Stars". Two to four humanly or digitally controlled imperia start their conquest campaigns with a solar system plus a certain basic equipment of cruisers and dough.
Round per round, the taxes are flowing now, a lot of conquered planets yield a lot of money, and with that money, you can buy more ships, fortresses or transmitters. You may as well, however, leave it even, for the thing doesn't even make it beyond the 8-percent barrier of the SSG original!
Okay, within the merciless fight of the relegated games, the Kosmos astrological map scrolls more smoothly, but anyway it looks more paltry; the music doesn't sound *that* bad, but only because it comes from the AMOS sound pool. Not to forget the clumsy and erroneous control, well, mouse and icons seem to battle out a private war here! No matter if it's the placement of done purchases or the display of the marching commands, the cosmonaut stumbles repeatedly on vexatious hooks and eyes: in the end, you have to mess a lot more with the handling than with the opponents. Hence, it's no surprise that every motivation get's choked deep in the depths of the galactic dimness: you would even send such a game back to your PD vendor - for a price of 30 Marks, it's an utter insolence!

Graphics :..........................7%
Sound:.............................38%
Handling:.........................17%
Game idea:......................11%
Fun for a longer period:.....8%
Price/Performance ratio:..11%
Staff's opinion:...................8%

Last edited by andreas; 02 July 2002 at 17:55.
Old 02 July 2002, 15:04   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Space Wars review

OK ... second:

Attack of the Pouch Cutters

Wow! The first arcade conversion for the CDTV is available and in fact, it looks better than the original! Well yes, if the original template didn't have that age and charm of "Asteroids", it would maybe be an actual reason to be real happy about it...

But hence, especially malicious old-school Amigans can have a good laugh at that - and what they, in particular, can do is scream with laughter at the deplorable CDTV owners who again get ridiculous "digital junk" for their highly-developed marvellous machine. Just the game idea is nothing but a good joke: two spaceships, controlled by rotation, badger each other until the energy level has gone towards 0. No bad alien intruding on the solitude, the one and only diversion is provided by occasionally spinning asteroids. If there's any noticeable diversity at all, you can at best notice it before game start:

You have not less than six (!) different spacecrafts to choose from, with each of them being armed in a different manner - too bad that later on, every spacecraft looks similar to the muck of a fly! You can also choose from four background images - pity that one image is as pallid as the other! Before and after the game, you can watch movie-like animation sequences and truckloads of digitalised graphics - but in the meantime, oh my God! Aside from that, it takes quite an eternity every time to reload.
Thus, it makes absolutely no difference anymore if you decide to play against the computer or against a human opponent (by using a joystick adaptor): frankly, that bungle wouldn't even get a slight chance on the PD market. But the CDTV peeps are supposed to get 80 Marks snatched out of their pockets for a little bit of music, a few sound effects and lots of superfluous intro graphics ... well, they aren't used to anything else, are they?

Graphics :........................17%
Sound:.............................52%
Handling:.........................33%
Game idea:........................4%
Fun for a longer period:.....7%
Price/Performance ratio:..11%
Staff's opinion:................8%
Old 02 July 2002, 16:21   #7
Tim Janssen

Wink Thanks for renovating this thread

Thanks Retroman for changing to a more appropriate title for the thread and thank you Andreas for translating the text to English.

Now let's hope someone can upload this game.
Old 02 July 2002, 19:25   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I've never heard of either, so thanks to both of you guys fro the scans and English translations! Off to add these to my MIA!